Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Only for those of a specific mindset, which I personally believe is outdated.

Brand loyalty to legacy manufacturers has no place in the EV market imho.

The experience I had with my first ev and first i4 taught my everything I need to know about the perceived quality of the so called luxury brands.

I say this as someone who purchased BMW's for 20 years.

You may perceive it as a downgrade, you're welcome to your opinion.

I see it as a very similar car, looks as good in my opinion, tech is better, newer and superior in many ways, range is far better, and the bones of 50k cheaper when I added all the extras to the i4 M50.

I'll enjoy the similar car, the 50k savings and the smaller depreciation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Are you looking at the AWD or the RWD? I'd imagine I will be the RWD when push comes to shove, excuse the pun.

I agree with you completely, this is a revolution. I do believe the premium brands are happy to stay premium, small volume and exclusive though, as they are tied financially into groups with cheaper options. The move into mainstream by them in early 2000s really diluted their image in my opinion, offering superminis and small crossovers that were never premium was a sad day.

As a BMW driver from my first car in 2004, an e36 318is to my last BMW, an F10 530d and my last ICE car, Audi A6, that the premium cars dont offer much above the mainstream anymore. They used to have the power advantage, still do in many ways but the power advantage is over cars that are already more than fast enough for anyone, you have standard enough EVs doing 0-100 in 6 to 7 seconds now which is quicker than a 520d and in around the same as a 530d or an Audi 3 litre diesel. And performance models around 50k having the performance of M, RS and AMG cars is nothing short of a bargain.

Possibly some more expensive interior coverings but that is about it these days. BMW horrendously ugly now in nearly all models, which saddens me. Was in Frank Keanes yesterday for a look and its a far cry from BMW showrooms of the past, I used to love everything in there back in the day.

Mercs not great looking either and most of their EVs are SUVs. I get thats what people want, but not for me thanks. Audi at least churning out good looking stuff in the near future but their SUVs not great looking.

I much prefer my Cupra to my fathers fat etron, just a better drive overall. Although the etron is a big SUV which is never going to be a drivers car. And the Cupra was exactly half the price. Just as quiet, just as comfortable, way more features than the etron as standard and only about a second slower to 100kmph despite being 200bhp down. Same range from a 58kwh battery as the 90kwh in the etron.

The seal is on my radar big time, going to see one on Saturday afternoon. Only thing is the saloon opening, I do stick the 2 labradors in the boot of the hatchbacks now which is great. May have to stick with hatchbacks for that reason. But should be able to keep the cupra too so maybe not a problem if I like the seal enough.

I think most will go AWD as it's not much extra but the loss of range when I went from an i4 e40 on 19s to an i4 M50 on 20s really impacted me, especially when doing Cork-Dublin return which is a regular trip for me. I'd like the HUD but can live without it and I place a premium on the extra range so I'm sticking with RWD.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The seal is on my radar big time, going to see one on Saturday afternoon. Only thing is the saloon opening, I do stick the 2 labradors in the boot of the hatchbacks now which is great. May have to stick with hatchbacks for that reason. But should be able to keep the cupra too so maybe not a problem if I like the seal enough.

The BYD Seal U is reportedly coming to Ireland early next year which may be more suitable for you. It has a hatchback boot but looks like a significantly bigger car(Technically a CUV) than the Seal. It may not be priced as competitively as the Seal and then you would be into the territory of just getting an Enyaq/ID4/Model Y

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

I'd say the pricing will be very close to the seal as the U only comes with single motor 225bhp version (with either a 71 or 87 kW battery) which should IMO make it at most comparable to the AWD seal. Quite like the U apart from the front being a bit empty looking but appreciate the interior being more subtle with a classic layout and design.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can someone make a good looking estate please that's reasonable value.

Only decent looking thing I've seen is Audi A6 Avant concept. Probably be 80k.

A seal estate would be superb. Enough of this crossover suv guff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Agreed, I was considering waiting for the Seal U but after 10 years I'm sick of big ugly family friendly cars. For me the Seal is a nice compromise in that regard

You got me interested there until I looked at it! Does nothing for me .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Lad I work with was looking to trade in his 192 330e m sport.

They offered him 27k.

Pretty lowball.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭olympicweights

Not really, there's plenty of them for sale from dealers for sub 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

Great car that has been well received but is in a different price range considering it starts at roughly 60k with a 75kW battery but with a more scandi luxury approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Balsamnews

4 year old BMW with a very complicated engine and transmission, they will always depreciate like a rock

Bring money withyou as mechanics say about those BMW's

The London taxi look does nothing for me. I saw that earlier this year

• Registered Users Posts: 10,229 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Nio ET5? It's a lovely looking estate.

Only this week I went virtual shopping to see what 2/3 year old estates were out there should I consider trading my current one in next year.

Extraordinarily poor offerings unless you want a diesel or a small petrol engine, in fact I'd have been better off spec'ing a new petrol Octavia for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 SeanaciousD

So after watching this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sgzc7jD-R9c it got me thinking.....

Like many EV owners I already have solar and am setup for export. If in theory I could find a way to discharge the car and export to grid during the day......

Math time!

Energia charge ~8c per unit at between 2AM-6AM (up to 1000kwh per month) and pay 24c per unit during the day for FIT (for now until people like me abuse the system obviously ;) )

That's 28kwh or approx 33% of a full seal battery, just set a certain percentage discharge limit on the seal and you could get it to discharge 28kwh during the day and then stop.

So, 28kwh a day * 31 days is 868 kwh a month. Energia only charges 9c a unit once you go over 1000kwh at night anyway so I'll leave it out as it's only a minor difference to the numbers.

28*364 = 10,192kwh per year. At 24c per unit that's €2446.08 per year. 10192 at 8c per unit is €815.36. €2446 - €815.36 = €1631 profit per year. (Yes you need to pay tax on this of course)

If you did this for the 8 year battery warranty (and I can't imagine there's any rule that says you can't), that's still €13,048 in profit before tax. Of course I do think FIT gravy train will come to an end eventually, but these are the numbers today.

How does it affect the battery? Will BYD claim 3,000 discharge cycles....

10192kwh per year and we need to add our actual driving kwh too. I drive ~20,000km a year, taking the ev-database.org value of 170Wh/km on average, that's 10192 + (20,000*0.170) = 13,592kwh per year

13592*8 = 108,736, divide that by the 82.5kwh battery pack and thats...... 1,318 discharge cycles, not even close to the 3000 BYD claim!

This is all just a thought excersize of course and I'd doubt anything more than a few weirdos would ever do it. But I thought it was interesting and probably the first car with V2L where it's not as crazy as it sounds thanks to its LFP battery. Personally I wouldn't even take it that far, I would just use it to keep my energy bills at €0 for the rest of time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Blackadder11

Hi all, all looking good with Seal. Overall, the pricing and the car look good if it delivers on its promises and doesn't end up with faulty bits (I'm thinking of foggy window, electric switches for seats, etc.) or software.

Being picky, €1950 for delivery and service looks crazy. Imagine delivery is €850 (would it be more?) that means €1100 for a service plan of only 2 years. So, 2 services in two years to check moving parts, tyres and the software update at €550 a shot. Wow ! Some eVs don't even have one service in two years.

After the brouhaha (or bruhaha) in Australia, they were looking at less than AUS$300 per service for multiple years on the Atto 3 and relented somewhat to get a Light Usage to less than AUS$200.

Is the "MSL tax" referenced earlier in this thread?

Does the general warranty exclude the infotainment system? That seems weird.

Lmao. I knew what that video was before I even clicked on the link ....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Yes, that the 'MSL tax' rip off - exploiting the low headline prices of BYD to trouser some more cash. I'm not sure if they're doing it with the Seal, but their retail Atto3 price was being displayed as "including delivery, metallic and service pack" - giving the impression that their mark up included a cost for metallic (as with most cars) - but metallic is actually standard! Note BTW that unless I'm very wrong, price from the manufacturer includes delivery to port. Dealers' "delivery" fee just covers dropping it up the road and is essentially almost entirely profit for the dealer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭John arse

Drove the seal today- lovely car but got massively lowballed on trade-in IMO, offered me €32k on my 231 ioniq 5, with only 5500 kms(which i’m now gonna keep for the foreseeable), Enough said!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

You could try https://instabid.ie/ to see if you can do better I ran into the same problem with a 231 Niro - EV second hand market not great for trading into at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

An Ioniq 5 Executive?

Reckon the dealers could put off by the non-trivial post-sales disappointment of the model and might be a bit gun-shy?

A friend of mine reckoned that the delivery charge is about €600-700 with €1200-1300 for a two-year service plan. That's some service plan even if you do get a set of tyres which not a deffo. Will there be a new "service plan" for the following years?

Has anyone noticed if the dashcam hole is in the front of the housing around the rear view mirror? Dashscams provided in China but apparently not anywhere else.

Interesting to see if individuals or an opportunist starts offering a service for installation of a dashcam. I am not allowed to post the link from EcoHouseThailand. Has anyone checked to see if the cabling and microSD slot are on the demo cars?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭dor83

The card slot is definitely on the demo car, I asked the sales guy to check but he hasn't come back to me about the slot for the dashcam yet. I didn't ask about the cable though, can't see them checking that to be honest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Are you sure tyres are even in the service plan?

Took test drive today.

Thoughts, extremely well built the doors inspire confidence of that which VW used to make a marketing of.

The rear has incredibly acres of space. Like S Class leg room was pretty amazed by that.

It's for sure more power than anyone would need or deal with unnecessarily so.

Torn Between the AWD and obviously no rear wheel drive to test. HUD is great but is it worth the large few grand difference. The power for me isn't needed for our needs but the awd perhaps in snow conditions.. but again they are not frequent we live in Wicklow though.

AWD... why ? Anyone ? If you had to choose.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

“AWD... why ? Anyone ? If you had to choose.”

AWD for me. I’d pay a premium for the performance but that’s me. I’ve always had the performance version of many cars as that’s what I’m into.

There’s no real wrong answer, only the answer that suits you. The HUD doesn’t even come into it for me. The RWD could have it and I wouldn’t batt an eyelid.

Advertisement