Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Home charge points (purchase/problems/questions) (See mod note post#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Have I landed in the wrong thread? I thought this was home charge points 😋

So, maybe someone will find this useful. I have a Hypervolt 2.0 just over a year. Great, robust chargers and self installed (after removing the older Rolec from the wall). I got the 5m cord at the time for neatness. It's been a slight inconvenience having to park the Tesla on the near side to the charger if I want to plug in.

I ordered a 7.5m replacement cord from Hypervolt with UK VAT removed. Cost inc delivery was £123. Arrived quickly and I installed today. The job was easy. Isolated the power to the EVSE. released the L/N/PE and data wires. The L/N had the load monitor around them, so I noted this before removing the old cable and replaced with the new one. All working well now and done in a half hour. Now I can reach both cars no matter what side of the garden they are parked. Delighted.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭MadDogGreener

@...Ghost... Do you mind sharing where you got the hypervolt? How do you find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I ordered directly from Hypervolt in the UK. Contacted their sales department and asked for a price delivered to Ireland. Asked for EX VAT invoice after I got the price, because it was for export. IIRC it was about €500-€550 delivered. They were very quick and easy to deal with. I found their customer care to be good too when I didn't understand one of the product functions (delay start).

As for the product....I like how it looks. It's neat and with the option of using the LED lighting and changing it if I want. It's well made and although the cable is still visible after it is wrapped around the charger, it's recessed a little and doesn't look untidy like other chargers. The plug itself feels solid and heavy and like it can handle being dropped. This contrasts with the Rolec I replaced.

I was able to register the product with QR codes on the cover. Connecting to my Wi-Fi was no issue at all. Updates are seamless. I should say that I only use it as a dumb charger. My cars on board timers decide when to draw electricity. I don't have solar yat and I don't use the included energy consumption monitor....thogh the APP does tell me what energy has been consumed and prices can be entered for the electric cost per unit if you want to go deeper.

Finally, when stripping it down, it's just easy to do. The main cover is held on by recessed hex bolts. Below that is the LED frame which clips off and is connected by a single connector. If the LEDs for example stopped working, as long as it wasn't a board issue....I could easily replace them after getting the parts. That said....the quality of the LEDs are also excellent and I wouldn't expect them to fail any time soon. Access to the main components is easy. Installation as a result is super easy.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Gaurav10b

Perhaps it has been discussed before but if some one has done a research, can they tell me most affordable ev charger insallers in Dublin?

We have to upgrade our property and we don't want to invest a lot.

We have a very straight forward installation as the developers have planned for chargers. Wire required is 5 meters straight from meter box to our parking. We can do with a slow charger as our car doesn't go long distances

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

How far from the consumer unit (Fuse board) is it? Bit many will install from the meter.

what did the developers do to plan for charging ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Many times.

search my posts for the last week or 2.

Just to follow up on this. The OHME still won’t charge his car at 32a. 16a is the max he will get despite all settings set for 32a.

I will ask him to try my charger this week and let me try his to rule out a car problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,518 ✭✭✭✭ted1

how is he using the Ohme? Is he using the scheduling on it?

if it doesn’t need to charge at 32Amps it won’t.

has he tried the max charge option ?

Just plug and play.

He’s just after swapping into a smart plan so it’s essential now that his schedule works to get the cheap boost rate mid night so he’s getting into OHME to sort it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭traco

I just had an Ohme Pro installed on Friday. New earth rod, new bonding in the hotpress and everywhere that was needed ( I ran the 10 square earth cable to the hot press myself so they just connected it), also upgraded the 10 square to 16 square tails from the meter to the fuse board. Waiting for ESB to connect them in and that was an extra €200 payable to the ESB. Meter and Fuesboard were very close so that made it handier

Total cost €1827.35, all info submitted to SEAI so waiting for my €600 back.

Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Had mine installed this morning at the side of the house, they did a tidy job:

Straight from the Meter Cabinet too?

Getting rare to see that nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes and one of the main reasons I got it done now rather than holding off till later to be told it had to be run from the CU. My CU is at the back of my house in a utility room and my driveway is front only. It's a semi detached so no way of bringing the car around the rear and I wasn't having unsightly cables running around the outside or inside.

Probably a valid reason for MC connection and once the RECI can justify it then all should be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

I have a Hypervolt too and love it. They released an overhaul of their app last night. Still haven't played with it yet, but looks like it will be much friendlier for those using PV panels in their house now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Any chance of a photo inside your meter cabinet

it’s difficult for a rec to do this without making an absolute mess inside whilst conforming to regulations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

Ours is similar (installed early this summer). Aesthetically, I should have known to ask for the non red+yellow isolator and our installer should have left an extra inch or two between the isolator and the Zappi as the gap is tight enough that the coiled cable squeezes against the isolator. It's all at the side of the house, so it is what it is.

We had and have no ESB isolator after the meter inside the box, so I didn't watch as the RECI did what he was happy to sign off on to the live tails. The resultant splitting inside to feed the small CU is tidy and looks safe. I'm not sure whether conformant or compliant with the rules is the right term (else he shouldn't have signed off his own work). But obviously the installation is not following all the latest "thou shouldst never connect at the meter" that may or may not have been reinforced at the time.

Our main house CU is in the middle of the house. Apart from not having a conduit into and around the house, I later realised that wiring at the meter meant there's a handy point at the input to the CU where the solar inverter's grid clamp can measure it's "grid" power. Good because the inverter doesn't see the load the Zappi is drawing so it won't try to feed it from the house battery. The Zappi's clamp is at the meter so it sees the total house load and can decide whether to use any excess solar going the other way. (Priority for the solar is thus immediate house usage, battery, Zappi and lastly export. And all working out well but charging at night rate makes more sense at this time of year.)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Valentina516

Hi,

I'm considering getting the Andersen A2 EV charger installed, but it's sooo expensive. Over 2300€ including installation. Can I source it from UK and get it installed for cheaper (I know I would lose out on 600€ SEAI grant)

Any opinions on the charger?

It’s an outdoor socket. Madness IMO.

But, yes, you can buy in uk and get grant. Just keep the invoice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭josip

I thought Andersen went bust at the end of last year?

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058267254/andersen-ev-chargers-ceased-trading/p1

They did but were taken over by another company and are still operating.

Can I claim SEAI grant even if purchased in NI?

Yes. You have to submit invoice to SEAI along with recut certs and invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

My BG SyncEV tethered charger has been broken for months now. It was working grand and then one day just stopped charging and is in an error state since.

As someone already mentioned Smartzone have gone into receivership and while the BG SyncEV have told me what the problem is they won't come fix it.

BG SyncEV say there are RCD leakage errors and the electrician installed 32a breakers when he should have used 40a breakers. They also claim the charger will work if I replace the breakers, though I'm skeptical about that.

What is the easiest way to get the charger up and running again? Should I just get an electrician to come out and swap the breakers?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭allinthehead

Honestly I can't see how changing from a 32amp to 40amp will make any difference. You could get an electrician to test the circuit for any problems, at least that would isolate the issue to the charge point itself if nothing is found. Have you had any tripping of the rcbo?

☀️

If it makes any difference, I used a 40a RCBO in my install back in 2017.

Is it possible the existing charge point is spiking above 32a and causing issues?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭Simi

There has been no tripping. The charge point has never gone offline, and it can still be rebooted/updated remotely. It simply won't charge.

It's possible, but it goes into an error state as soon as it's powered on so I can't really troubleshoot it. It also worked flawlessly for months before just suddenly not charging one day.

I'll try to find an electrician with some experience installing them and get them to have a look at it.

Luckily a granny charger is good enough to cover my daily usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭allinthehead

If it was causing issues then you'd get tripping due to overload. A 32amp will allow about 36/37 amps continuous load before tripping, and the errors are related to rcd leakage so nothing to do with overload.

If the manufacturer wants a 40amp, I would install it if it's suitable for the circuit, as this gives them an easy out. Fyi Myenergi reccomend a 32amp.

☀️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Do you have to have picked a supplier and charger before applying for the EV Home Charger Grant? Seems to look for the details.

Advertisement