Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Don't think they mention the vaccine in the ads, just all about "awareness". I'm not sure how awareness helps anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Haven't heard the ad. Is it HSE? Maybe its covered on private health insurance, medical card also, and if you've neither, it's €80 max per month if either spouse qualifies for the drug refund card. After that you're on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,362 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

only one I've seen uk NHS

this from boots.ie

How can I access the vaccination service?

To avail of the vaccination service, simply book an appointment online for one of the shingles vaccines, for a time that's convenient for you.

The cost of the ONE dose Shingles Vaccination Service is €213.

The cost of the TWO dose Shingles Vaccination Service is €487 (€243.50 per vaccination dose).

The second dose is usually given two months after the first dose.

consider yourself aware 😀

Hmm, not on the HSE lists

So not available on medical card, or capped by drug refund scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

The SKY Broadband / SKY TV Ads. How did businesses and consumers cope before SKY broadband ? These Ads are targeted towards consumers over businesses. I wonder how many angry Playstation / XBox customers ring in every day in the UK / Ireland because their SKY TV won't display their beloved video console.

• Advertisement

You mean that Sky Glass tv? A piece of absolute crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

The one with the guy playing the piano, and the guy with the white teeth, girl dressed like a jockey, all singing etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭lumphammer2

The Eurovision one so .... we can save costs and send it out there ... Deadly Dave Douze points!!

I'll be honest, I've no idea who deadly dave is!

• Advertisement

Your friends call you ‘Deadly Dave’ cause you once did Thai Chi, They pretend your new teeth hurt their eyes.

They ask you where you finished the derby and is that wallet from 2005.

We don’t care who you are, where you’re from, what you did, it’s all cause we love you!

Ah thanks! I never bothered listening to the lyrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I know someone who got it when they were 19 or 20, and he had to take it easy for weeks. I'd swear a friend of my brother's got them in national school, but I can't confirm that.

My mum got it years ago, and she thought she'd injured her back. She had the pain of a bone fracture. It took her well over a month to recover. Couldn't sleep in her own bed, she had to sleep in a reclining chair because of the pain.

Apparently there has been a steady increase in younger and younger people getting shingles. Teenagers, people in their early 20s. It correlates to an increasingly more stressful and busy world, apparently. That inability to 'switch off' that used to be far easier in times gone by.

You can't get Shingles unless you previously had chickenpox. Its a dormant virus from the Pox!

But.... you can get chickenpox from someone who has Shingles. I love that the word Pox is still current. It's so medieval. A Pox on Thee!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I know that. And there's a chicken pox vaccine now, which can prevent getting them, but is not 100 percent. I got all my shots as a child, but I still got the mumps when I was 8 or 9.

Chicken pox is similar to cold sores, in that the cold sore virus will stay in your body until the day you die.

On RTE radio, not from HSE, some mention of GSK. Maybe it's mainly about vaccine pimping, though it's a fairly soft sell if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Absolutely correct . It’s a relatively recently manufactured cure/ prevention for shingles . The advertising campaign which has no connection with the HSE plays on the fear ( genuine) of catching the disease. However it is made to sound like government advice which in my opinion is deceptive.

Sone years ago Joe Duffy on Liveline had a major campaign for expensive Versatis topical lidocaine patches to be restored for approved use for every internal pain under the universe in face of the evidence that they only work for skin surface pain, due to Shingles. Got shingles once, years ago, far from the worst thing I’ve had, but of course not pleasant. Felt like bruising first, then stabbing/stinging along with it as the vesicles appeared. Much much worse is the pain of autoimmune pyoderma gangrenosum. Still, I think of shingles vax becomes affordable and more available I think it would be worth taking as shingles can affect the eye, of all places. Also varicella, as with other typical mild childhood viruses, is now starting to be associated with more serious conditions (more serious than shingles) in later life, but at research stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

"Awareness" is an important woke buzzword Andrew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Kumejima

Like someone previously mentioned, the FBD ad. FBD doesn't stand for "F%!king B@stard D!ckheads" "Fin Boxing Dolphins" etc etc.

The Irish Life ad where the Dad is wondering if his daughter will be the next Katie Taylor or a mongolian wrestler before buying shoes.

Those TV license ads where they give you what isn't the law in Ireland like teaching chickens how to impersonate Frank Sinatra or whatever before telling you buying your TV license is.

You have 15-30 seconds to give the audience three pieces of info:

1. Who you are
    2. What you offer
    3. Why they should spend their hard earned money on your product or service

Yet there is some "creative" getting paid a shed load of money to spunk 3/4 of the run time of the ad on COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT BULLCRAP!! And they have done this again and again and again!!

Worse still its the only part of the ad you remember, like the fact that they were buying shoes not Irish Life. I had to deliberately focus at the end of the ad to see who had commissioned such dreadful shite despite the fact that I had seen it dozens of times.

To any ad execs who are reading this board for free feedback, you know which agencies did these ads, you know the creatives responsible for this.

Find them and fire their f@cking asses for professional neglect and waste of client and agency resources. Make them homeless, deport them. Execute them. No, thats a bit far maybe, but tie them to a chair and slap them across the face with rotten fish repeatedly until they come to their senses.

Absolute wasters!

I wouldn't give a monkey's about them, I actually got great insight when studying advertising as a part of a cognitive psychology module I once undertook. It's a science no doubt, but what bothers me is the huge overhead on the price of everything as a result of excessive advertising budgets. All these swizz Centra/ Spar/Supervalu ads, then they price a fking egg sandwich at €5, and a tea at €2.90. They can all take a hike.

I can never understand that about advertising, creating a lengthy reel which you remember a lot of, except for the product it’s trying to promote. I think “advertising-psychologists” would argue that the product has gone into viewers heads “subliminally” and that you then select that product unconscious of associating it with a reel you have watched/listened to repeatedly. Advertisers should take note too that likes of me turns my eyes away from screen when the ads come on, I’d be typically looking at my phone, a leaflet, popping from the room to put the kettle on or visit the jax, and I think I’m not alone in not always paying attention to the screen during ad intervals.

Drinking game - sink a shot every time a boards poster uses woke outside of any context. I'll be bladdered before breakfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

I emptied my bladder before breakfast, just after I woke up.

(Am I doing it right?)

There are so many ads that I loath ... past and present .... examples include them woeful lottery ads, most insurance ads, all of the EBS ads, all Orchard Thieves ads, that aw Barry/knitted dolls Rockshore ads, in fact most beer ads ... and then there are the unnecessary ... like Christmas ads now ... you are tired of Christmas before it is even December! ... and I am getting sick of Aldi's Kevin the Carrot at this stage ...

... which leads me onto what a previous poster says ... they get paid a fortune for making these things which affects the price of the goods ... which also leads us to lottery and beer ... I don't think either needs advertising ... plenty customers ... I am sure that Kevin Carrot ads are v expensive to make ... and that other Rockshore ad with the Eurovision parody ... someone had to write it, sing it and act it! You can be sure it costs a fortune ...

And as another post said .... the purpose of the ad .... to sell the product/service ... gets lost in all the 'creativity' and do people really want a lengthy Christmas story from Aldi or a sendup of a bad Irish Eurovision song from a beer brand ... or idiots acting like .. well .. idiots after winning the lottery ... god be with the days when ads used to be just announcements made over a screen with writing about the product on it ... and the most exciting ads were a train going through somewhere in South America with a South American song for a coffee ad ...

Yes ... and you might have to go to the fridge to take out a can of Rockshore that sits next to Kevin the carrot who I got in Aldi earlier that I will have for dinner tomorrow ... all the while missing our next Eurovision winner Deadly Dave followed by Kevin on the ad break !!! ... and while FBD are saying what they stand for and do not stand for ... I have to put the FBD letter on the window to remind me to pay them .... and have to check that scratch card once more before I dump it ... while idiots on screen act the clown to some Beatles imitation song ... and I see a fox on my lawn just as I get out that last can of Orchard Thieves ...

There is no doubt bad ads are memorable ... I remember the Rachel & Steve/Steve & Rachel ads of a few years ago ... everyone was talking about them/laughing at them ... now EBS have a kind of a copy of it ... and that An Post aliens/honours maths ad is another one ... they stick in one's head ... admittedly I would have to check the products often ... and/or others would ... but mention Rachel/Steve, aliens/honours maths, Deadly Dave (I say bring back Chris Doran & Dustin as a duet!! ....), Kevin the Carrot and clowns in plastic castles by the sea .... they'd remember them but not necessarily the product !! ...

And that UPC ad before UPC became Virgin ... with that busker with the ukulele singing some copy of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire ... not the worst ad but stuck out at the time ... I had to actually look up the product ... remembered the ad but not the product! ..

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Isthisthingon?

I get the song reference - back street boys, but why is it called the eurovision ad or am I missing something obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Anything that mentions "Just Eat"............It's fu*king pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭squonk

Amen to that. We’re all paying for the cnuts putting Katy, Christina & Snoop in their ads as well. Greedy overcharging b@$t@rd$

Advertisement