Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

Yep, thats the concern.

Once MM is gone, there is a good chance FF will team up with SF.

But then wouldnt it be a thing if MM stayed until the GE, just to keep them out, continued a govt with FG and then retired....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭Augme

Who this mystery third party that will go into government with FF and FG?

I would expect a band of indies to make up the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If I were a FF member and looking at the polls of my party I wouldn't be looking at potential damage that might be caused by a future coalition, I'd be looking at what is causing the damage in the here and now.

I think when the gloves come off and the restraints (because they are after all in a coalition) of government are let loose there will be some bloodletting over the direction the party has taken.

It's either that or continue to slip down the poll rankings into obscurity.

FF are up 1% in the latest polls.

Its SF that are sliding at the moment. Down a whopping 4%.

• Advertisement

There is also a slight preference in the latest polls for the continuation of the current coalition vs a SF led govt.

Trends are what counts not single polls.

FF polled 22% in the GE of 2020, they are now down to 17%

It is not coalescing with SF that has caused that.

FF are at 18% now, so trending upwards. As are FG. Up 2% to 21%.

FG and FF could easily return another coalition and according to this months poll, thats the preferred option amongst voters.

More of the same.

No. Please understand what a 'trend' in polling is.

Since July, when they were at 20% they have been trending down in the poll of polls.

A 1% revival in one poll does not change the trend.

It is the most recent marker in the data set and it does indeed reflect an uptick in the trend.

Whether it continues into a longer term trend is another question.

But interesting that SF have dropped 4% and FFG are up 1% or 2%.

Not sure what the reasons are, possibly the current govts slightly tougher stance on immigration?

• Advertisement

Polls will vary from one to the next.

The 'poll of polls' will give you the trends.

FF are still trending down in the poll of polls despite rising one point in one poll.

Even at 18%, if I was a member of FF I would see little benefit medium/longterm for the party in coalition with FG. There has been zero bounce for them.

Now if you believe they are happy to be journeymen/women and are happy with no identity of their own, then ok, they will happily go back into coalition.

I don't think that is the case. There will be blood about party direction.

You won't see that expressed until this government ends.

But what then is FFs best route to govt?

If they want to stay in the Dail they have to join with FG or SF.

There isnt enough time, or difference in policy vs FG, for them to get a majority.

That's for FF to decide.

What I am saying is that there will be blood over coalition with FG and kick back against having to temper their campaign imo.

This is a first, so none of us know how an election campaign will pan out after the historic coalition between the civil war parties.

It isnt a first!

They are in a coalition now!

No party will campaign for a coalition, but when it comes to forming a govt, thats what they shall do.

And thats exactly what they did last time.

History repeats itself and the precedent is already set.

According to all the recent polls, there isnt a cirumstance in which we wont have a coalition this time around, because no party will have a majority. So we HAVE to have a coalition.

It is by the far the most likley outcome for the next election.

The only question is whether it will be FFG or FF/SF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

They’ve toned it down in the past few years, but SF really went for the angry conspiratorial sorts who spent all day being radicalised on Facebook. Lots of bad memes, FFG, abuse of Government and the State.

A vote is soft but a memory isn’t.

Yeh it is a first.

The first time these two have campaigned for a term in government after being in coalition together.

Can they successfully offer themselves as something different without spilling some metaphorical blood?

That is what will be interesting.

The polls are saying people dont want different.

A FFG govt is more popular in the polls than a SF led govt.

A continuation of what we have today is the favoured outcome, so neither party needs to change its stall too much.

I agree that they will either offer the electorate the same again or they pretend they are offering something different (Alá Michéal and Leo last time out) and hope the electorate get the nod and the wink sleeveen campaigning.

A merger of the two civil war parties in everything but name.

It will be truly historic to see this happen in a campaign. And fascinating to see if media hold feet to the flames on it.

Lots of things can throw a spanner in the works though, further growth of SF as an election approaches and a campaign proper gets under way.

How high in the polls do SF have to get before survival jumping begins on the good ship FF, for instance?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,954 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So pearse Doherty has said Sinn Fein are aiming for a government without FF or FG. I honestly don’t see how this is even remotely possible because SF won’t get an overall majority and going by the recent polls, they will be a good bit short of one in a best case scenario. And the PBP lot were one of the skits on callans kicks recently. At least I think it was a skit, as it’s hard to tell. So I doubt very much SF will form a government on that lot who are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Pearse Doherty can say SF are aiming for what he like - does not say he or they will get it.

He himself was aiming for a certificate in some course, and doing the course, in Letterkenny Regional Tech ( or whatever they call it ) and he dropped out, so he never got what he was aiming for then either.

• Advertisement

FG and FF are one, if not more of the skits every week....at least I think they are skits. 😁

Aiming for a government without FG and FF is fine, you can say that and it isn't a lie.

What SF are not saying, which FF definitely told the electorate is that they would never go into government with either. Mary Lou saying they will talk with anyone.

Pity FF and FG would not engage in the new politics they give plenty of lip service to and revert to the nod and wink sleeveen stuff when it suits. Hopefully, after the sham posturing before the last GE the electorate call them out on the bull.

You can say what you want about the other political parties on both sides of the border, but you cannot get away from the reality that when other parties look at your track record, they do not want to go in to government with you.

Must have been a hard week for S.F., down 4% in the opinion polls. Wonder if SF will have any authors at their Ard F., or are they against them too? (Edit : Ronan McGreevy & Tom Conlon’s The Kidnapping, David Blake Knox’s Face Down, Mairia Cahill’s Rough Beast and Jennifer O’Leary’s The Padre....)

Who do you expect to form the next govt?

It is highly unlikley that any party will have a majority.

Therefore, its a coalition govt again. Thats highly likley to happen.

So all this "calling out" FG or FF is irrelevant. When the dust settles and no party has a majority, it will be up to the 3 internal parties to decide who forms the govt - with the casting vote sitting with FF.

Do they choose FG or do they choose SF to partner in govt?

The electorate themselves have no say in the matter at that point.

It will be FF leadership that decides the next govt. Nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Gerry is signing books down there. He again refused to answer if he thought it was ok that SF offices were used for a “clear the air” between a rape victim and a senior member of the Provos. Omerta.

Who do you expect to form the next govt?

I don't know.

And I also don't know if the transition will be as smooth as you say.

I expect a lot of blood letting between FF and FG though.

Unless they have tacitly merged in everything but name which is quite possible at the upper echelon of both party's. The blood will be spilled at grassroots though.

Is there any major difference between the two parties now?

I am not sure there is.

I doubt the vast majority of the electorate think there is.

And there be the source of the blood letting - there will be party faithful who will want a distinction made.

Even if distinctions are made and they campaign differently (which i think they will - they will take different approaches on certain subjects to distinguish themselves) the bottom line is that nobody will have a majority, once the votes are in.

They all already know this.

So they will uncouple at the start of the electoral dance and rejoin at the end.

Just as the song goes.

For FF that will only mean the trend will continue downward. They could quite easily see Labour poll numbers during the next cycle.

Question is, do enough of them recognise what is happening. I.E. there isn't room for two parties there isn't a credit card width of distance between and one of them will disappear or is disappearing.

• Advertisement

Ah, Gerry ( who says he was never in the IRA but nobody believes him) and other senior figures from "the North" are never far away. Omerta is just one reason other parties will never go in to coalition with S.F. They know what happens smaller parties in a coalition, they know what S.F. was and is like in government in N.I. and they know omerta etc and would not want to tarnish themselves by being in coalition with such a party / organisation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Micheál Martin: “The Paul Quinn murder stands out. But the omerta that follows it – that people are so afraid and so intimidated by that organisation that they won’t engage with the police”

Advertisement