Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What whisk(e)y are we drinking? (Part 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For years, Bushmills sourced all their pot still spirit from Midleton and Midleton sourced all their single malt from Bushmills.

Don't know if that's still the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭tphase

it was €75 (reduced from €100) and I wish I'd got two. I know they vary but if that wasn't a great 'vintage' then I'd have no problem taking a punt on the next release 🥃

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Anaki r2d2

Ah here, you can't just leave it there!

Where do Bushmills get their whiskey from?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Clonakilty just released a new blend with their own pot still. Sourced grain. They haven't released a pot still of their own yet, far as I know.

Fercullen doing the same, their own malt replacing the sourced in their blend

Boann have the whistler for their sourced stuff and they've done 2 special boann releases. Boann winter solstice and Boann summer solstice. Crazy prices, listed editions.

Actually don't think the winter one went on sale at all. Just special guests brought in for a celebration and a bottle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭padre78

Passed the new Ahascragh distillery yesterday....looks impressive in an otherwise non inspiring village 😀.

Anybody tried any if their products yet? Might do a tour if the place at some stage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭adaminho

Fercullen/Powerscourt are very up front on their provenance. Had a tasting with them a few months ago. Funnily enough their head distisller would have originally laid down the original casks so would have an idea what they should turn out like anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭JMcL

Tesco have Black Barrel at €32 with a Clubcard at the minute. Dunnes look to have it at the same price without the need for the tracking device Clubcard. Supervalu more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

Picked up a bottle of this today (well I actually picked up 2 bottles but only because I had to visit three SuperValu's before finding it in stock and was concerned there might be a run on this).

For €25, it punches well above it's weight. A really nice tipple for the price. My palate wouldn't be as refined as some here but I'm getting just the right amount of sherry hint without being overpowering. Sweet.. but not too sweet.

As an added bonus, the labeling is refreshingly honest. If I get the chance, I'll pop up a photo of the back label later.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

Done it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Cool, will try, thanks. I checked Maynooth but no joy, but I'll be near others this week

• Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It isn't stocked in all Supervalus. If you have a Supervalu login, you can select your store for a 'fake' click and collect order and it will then show you what is stocked in that store. Assuming that store does click and collect. I use it for scanning stock in Northside, Sutton and Killester.

Pretty sure Sutton and Killester stock it but not Raheny, for those on DNS.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I got a bottle of the Foxes Bow when it was first launched (the Limerick connection made it a bit of a must-try) and I expected it to be mediocre enough, but then I absolutely loved it. Have another stashed away somewhere now for opening next year. I met a few old friends I used to play soccer with and they couldn't believe I liked it at all.

Anyway, got my hands on a Knappogue Castle 16 for a great price at auction recently and opened it tonight. Beautiful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭4goneConclusion

Anyone got a recommendation for a whiskey for around 80-100€?

I like single malt so I'm thinking of getting one of the Dingle Wheel of the year series but wanted to check if anyone has a good opinion of them.

Or if there's anything that's particularly good out there at the moment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭janiejones

Powers John's lane cask strength could be a good one

I've mentioned it a few times now, I think, but I think the Dark Silkie Cask Strength it's a wonderful whiskey, it's €90 direct from Sliabh Liag

64%, but you wouldn't know. Full of flavour, fruity, Christmas pudding, bit of wood and smoke. Very smooth with it all. It's my favourite whiskey at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Whiskey event on in Supervalu. https://shop.supervalu.ie/sm/pickup/rsid/269/whiskey-sale. Would anyone with a better idea than I have any advice on the best value available?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Apologies. Was really looking for advice on the nicest whiskeys available in Supervalu as it is very close to me. The sale is a coincidental bonus. Of course I can see the deals on the megathread but my original question re what people's opinion on the nicest ones is would remain unanswered.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,975 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If I was to pick one I'd probably go for the Jameson stout cask.

• Advertisement

Some that stand out to me at those prices are the Tullamore Dew Rum Cask, for something a bit different, and the Jameson Black Barrel (if you're lucky enough to see the Black Barrel Proof for €30 buy every bottle they have!)

The Foxes Bow is a good price, see a few posts up for a review, haven't tried it myself yet

The Powers Three Swallows gets a lot of love here and is a good price. I don't like it personally, but I think I'm in the minority!

Ah right. Sorry. My bad. I think jameson black barrel at 30euro is a steal. The regular strength version. The proof strength has too much horsepower for me

I met Simon Fay by chance, the number 2 man in IDL. I quizzed him a little. He also thought Black barrel was great for flavour/cost ratio.

Post edited by Anaki r2d2 on

You can't go wrong with Powers Three Swallow. €25 is also a tremendous price, I don't expect a lower price before xmas. My local SV looked to be running low on this deal today.

Black Barrel is a popular whiskey and €30 is a good price for it. My local SV still had loads left. Before xmas I would not be surprised if one of the supermarkets does it for €28.

Between Jameson Crested/Stout/IPA, I prefer the Caskmates Stout. However €25 is not going to make me run down to the shops to grab one, that's a pretty frequent discount.

Tullamore Dew XO Rum Cask is very good for 25. Nowhere else is close to this price.

got a couple each of Three Swallow and Foxes Bow at €25 in SV - the last two of the latter :)

as for the nicest - Redbreast12 (€65) , Method and Madness single grain (€55), Paddy's Share (€46.50 but €30 in Tesco atm I think). Flavourwise, can't really go wrong with Redbreast. The other two may or may not be to your taste

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I really like the Caskmates stout, an underrated whisky for sure.

The Three Swallows would be my other pick here, at that price...

...But this is a good time to give out, yet again, about the demise of the Powers 12 year old Special Reserve, an exceptional whisky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

What's the consensus on Paddy's share? Worth a punt? I like the idea and story behind it (yes I'm a sucker for marketing of historical stories - if they're relevant)

definitely worth a punt when it's on sale. I got a couple a good while ago at €30 on the recommendation of a mate and was pleasantly surprised. Still have one in storage but probably will pick up another while Tesco have it for that price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Class I'm easily convinced to be fair but it €30 seems like a very fair price for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,533 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I use it in a simple 'short' hot whiskey, no cloves or lemon - but with an orange peel. Really hits the spot on nights like this.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭DeniG2

I normally wouldn’t touch Paddy whiskey but Paddys Share is a bit different, @ 47%, it’s worth a punt at €25.96 in Tesco (down from €45), it’s strong and sweet and fairly smooth

Advertisement