Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

For Ireland at 2nd Row, I'd like to see a rotation of

Ryan, Ahern, McCarthy, Edogbo, Murray, Treadwell starting to emerge in the next year or two with Beirne and Henderson stepping into supporting roles

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't think Treadwell is going to be a long-term prospect at this stage and I'm not sure which is Baird's best position yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conquestscarer

You're forgetting the new toy factor of Quinn with a statement like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,802 ✭✭✭✭bilston

"Hendersn's done"

Why do you think this? He's the grand old age of 31

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Beirne is 31 and Henderson is 31....both will be circa 35 next WC if they are fit

The speed at which people want players dropped is incredibe.

If the players you mention deserve to start games then I am sure they will start games, putting players into the team just because they are younger is a recipe for disaster.

The players "given a shot" is nonsense to be honest, they should be able to perform to a level for their province and then perform in the national setup. Farrell hs shown that he has no issue with putting players into the team when they meet those targets. Most of these threads are full of people posting their current favorite players and wondering why they are not in the team.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

they should be able to perform to a level for their province and then perform in the national setup. Farrell hs shown that he has no issue with putting players into the team when they meet those targets.

Disagree, tbh. To a certain extent, Farrell, more than any previous Ireland coach, has shown that Provincial form or exposure doesn't particularly matter to your inclusion in the Ireland squad.

Probably easier to name the players you think didn't get included?

Also who should they have replaced in the squad in your opinion

Off the top of my head, Doris, Keenan, Sheehan, JGP, Crowley, Kelleher, Connors, McCarthy; all guys who had fairly limited Provincial exposure - or in JGP's case, was 2nd choice provincially - when selected.

Even in broader squads, guys like Penny were selected ahead of, say, Hodnett, who had been performing really well against higher calibre opposition.

To be clear, I'm not saying they shoudn't have been in (tho in some cases I'd have disagreed with the selection). But the point that they performed provincially first doesn't quite stack up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

The players "given a shot" is nonsense to be honest, they should be able to perform to a level for their province and then perform in the national setup. 

Many players have been performing to a level for their province, only to not be included in favour of players not playing to that level for another province

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’d say there is less connection between provincial performance (especially in big games/europe) and ireland call ups than ever before.

Not saying it is good or bad but its true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,446 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Farrell is going to pick players who can do the things he wants them to do, simple as. Performance for the provinces is probably secondary to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

What do you mean by call ups?

Getting in extended squad or getting game time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

Extended squad I can maybe see it - again it depends how you're describing 'performance'. In the past you'd get into extended squads purely for existing in the 23 of certain provinces - I'd argue the fact of simply playing in games doesn't equate to 'performance'.

I dont think there is any case to claim that there is a bigger break 'than ever before' when it comes to provincial performance and getting into the ireland 23. There were years in the past where players were playing outstanding for their provinces in huge European games and couldnt get an opportunity ahead of the guy who had the jersey. I can't think of any cases where there are such big gaps in the last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Hansen is 25 now, made his Ireland debut at 23. Frisch is 27. There are a lot of younger centres at a similar level who I’d say are more likely to be involved than Frisch.

Murray is arguably the best line out operator in the world atm, particularly defensively and hes fairly rapid for a lock but he isn’t ready for test level.

He either needs to add 5/10kg to be an effective carrier and to be able to impact the breakdown or become similes level jackal threat as Beirne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭TRC10

Murray is arguably the best line out operator in the world atm

Ok

• Registered Users Posts: 31 inbloom427

@Akrasia "Hendy is done"... is he ay? Fairly showed his class compared about your young Munster bucks tonight haha

17 line out steals last season, 3 already this year in 120 minutes of rugby. They are world class numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Certainly Osborne. Unless he is moved to another position. Tom Farrell has been very good and never got a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Tom Farrell is very similar to Gavin Thornbury in the fact that when they're absolutely tearing it up for Connacht and knocking on the window for international selection they pick up long-term injuries at the worst imaginable time.

I was very impressed with young McCann in the last two weeks. We're a few very decent prospects coming through in the second/back row positions over the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm more convinced now than ever that Cian Prendergast is Ireland's long term 6. He's a workhorse that also makes the 'big moments' plays too. Wonderful player.

Still needs to tighten up on his discipline but there’s a huge amount of potential with him

You didn't answer the question. You provided a list of players who played well at their province, got into the squad and then into the team based on their performances which is the point I made, so I guess we are agreeing then. The likes of Hansen ripping it up v Leinster and was taken quickly into the squad and team from nowhere would show to me the ability to escalate the ranks quickly with your performance at provincial level.

Hodnett v Penny, was that in a November series? I can't even remember. Neither made it into the WC warm up and Penny hasn't been capped? so what exactly is the Penny v Hodnett discussion?

If you wanted Hodnett into the World Cup warm up would it not be Hodnett v Treadwell?

I very clearly did answer the questions tho. Your questions...

Probably easier to name the players you think didn't get included? Also who should they have replaced in the squad in your opinion

My answer:

To be clear, I'm not saying [the selected players] shoudn't have been in

But I'll remind you of your original point:

they should be able to perform to a level for their province and then perform in the national setup. Farrell hs shown that he has no issue with putting players into the team when they meet those targets.

The point is, all the players I've listed all had fairly limited degrees of Provincial experience, particularly at Europen level, when Farrell selected them. That's just objectively true. In JGP's case he was 2nd choice provincially.

And on this:

Hodnett v Penny, was that in a November series? I can't even remember. Neither made it into the WC warm up and Penny hasn't been capped? so what exactly is the Penny v Hodnett discussion?

Which is why I specifcally prefaced this point with "Even in broader squads...". At the time, Penny had 10 minutes European experience. Hodnett had much more, playing well against the likes of Toulouse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

In JGP's case he was 2nd choice provincially.

He was, but he also had pretty extensive experience, even at European level. That is just a case of different coaches rating players differently. He played in 51 matches, including 15 European ties, before Farrell took over the Irish coaching job.

Fully agree but think you're actually underplaying his experience there - from my count he has 93 games for Leinster and 35 games for the Blues before his first Irish cap (which wasn't even as a starter).

The JGP example is simply an extremely poor one if a person is trying to make the case on limited degrees of experience.

Yep, fair enough (Part of the point is also provincial pecking order tho).

Point still stands for the list of other players tho.

My original point was just about experience. It was about:

Provincial form or exposure 

• Advertisement

Your full paragraph from the post Podge quoted:

The point is, all the players I've listed all had fairly limited degrees of Provincial experience, particularly at Europen level, when Farrell selected them. That's just objectively true. In JGP's case he was 2nd choice provincially.

You keep either trying to shoehorn JGP into arguments where he doesn't fit or need to be careful where you're throwing his name into. JGP has absolutely no place in the discussion about experience before he was getting Irish caps, as he had a huge amount - far more than many players before they get a look in.

Advertisement