Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster v Munster match thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭sioda

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭Shehal

Why am I surprised this prick gives that as a turn over, doesnt have a clue about what a turn over is.

Munster got 1 more point than they deserve, an absolutely disgrace of a performance not much better than last week only Munster got out of jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Inforapenny

Surely one of the younger Leinster hookers should move to Munster for more game time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I think the Barron injury was the turning point for Munster. Buckley has been very poor in the line out. Cost us field position and possession.

Ulster deserved it second half though. Way too many handling errors from Munster.

I'd have taken a point before the game, so I'll take what we got and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Thought Baloucoune was good tonight, as always didn’t really put a foot wrong, made some great tackles and took some good ball in the air. But the game has to come to him. He doesn’t seem to pop up anywhere. That’s why Farrell doesn’t seem to fancy him.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

McCann was incredible. Thought the Munster back row was fairly meh, Kendellen was shocking and Coombes didn’t look like a player hoping to become an Irish international.

Edogbo is a big lad but he really needs to work on the fitness, was blowing out his arse after half an hour and walking around a lot.

Scott Wilson had a debut to remember. Murdered the Munster scrum.

Frisch also fairly rubbish.

Finally, Craig Casey has a touch of Itoje about him, celebrating every little thing in the face of opponents. Long bus ride home for him for him to ponder this one. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Cateym

You'll never see Baloucoune off his wing getting stuck in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Henderson was huge when he came on. Was a bit disappointed with Crowley, don’t think he got much out of his backline. Few nice touches but a bit like watching Carbery pass the ball on to the centres. I thought Burns outplayed him from an attacking point of view. Casey went very well and McCann was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,080 ✭✭✭OldRio

No. You are confirming what you want to see. Embarrassing.

• Advertisement

POM, Beirne and Murray hopefully back next week to change that. Kleyn can't be too far off either. Different team with those in.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭MaddChris

100%

But still concerning about where the leaders are inside the international windows where these guys might not be available.

Sharp end of the season and Champions Cup I don't see an issue, its games like these that show someone needs to start stepping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Taught Ulster’s bench made a big difference, they had some international calibre players to come on. Munster will need to get back some of their international contingent, our set piece really disintegrated in the second half. Don’t understand why people taught Coombes was unimpressive, he was our only player that could consistently get over the gain line and had a strip turnover.

Good to see a lot of newer faces playing well. McCann and Wilson were very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,146 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Seemed that fitness was generally off from the Munster pack, they all faded badly. Coombes was taking the ball and falling over towards the end of the game.

I thought Rowntree called out fitness issues last year so I expected this to be something they'd have sorted this offseason

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

Who took over captaincy when Barron went off?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Our more experienced bench won the game I think. Scrum turned our way, Hendy came on like a train and Herring made some key plays. Lots of errors from both sides, nobody should go home happy from that tbh. Thought we looked more physical by the end of the game but couldn’t get out of our own half, better teams or even a stronger Munster side will put us away.

For Munster - Kendellan was disappointing, I’d want him to really be leading from the front and standing out in games like these with weakened sides. Coombes maybe a little underwhelming as well. Edogbo’s physicality is impressive but as awec pointed out, his fitness needs work. He’s not big enough to get away with the Will Skelton conditioning or lumbersome ProD2 lock style of play. Can’t believe how young he is though. The centre partnership hasn’t ‘clicked’ yet, so to speak, but the 12 was tidy. Great signing.

For Ulster - congrats to Herring and Wilson for near opposite reasons. I know we brought on stronger players and Munster weakened their pack, but I’m ready to see more of Wilson. I get props take a little longer but the odd game shouldn’t hurt. McCann got away with a few calls but was excellent around the pitch again. He looks leaner and more mobile this year, definitely raised people’s expectations this year.

wishing the best for McIlroy, looked like he was in a car crash and wasn’t walking well at all.

Pretty good sum up there @Locke_Lamora

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Not sure I'd agree with that, Coombes was one of the few making ground at the end of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,931 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Yes. What you want to see rather than what is the actuality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Agreed he took a few static balls towards the end but he played the full 80.

SOB needs to be in the center. Daly is criminally underused at wing or FB. He's a big lad ... use him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Interesting game. Incredibly error strewn but incredibly absorbing (most likely because I am Irish).

Result is fair enough. Munster dominated the opening 15 minutes through the scrum and being able to turn the screw territorially before dominating the final 10 minutes. Ulster were on top for all in between so 4-1 in terms of match points is probably a fair return although both teams will be irritated with blown positions in the second half.

In terms of units, I felt the first half was the Ulster backs against the Munster pack. But in the second half, the Ulster bench came on and transformed that. The Munster backline continued to misfire despite Casey looking sharp and Crowley going relatively well with the boot in open play. But in terms of attacking structure and play, Mike Prendergast will be tearing his hair out. Frisch had his worst game in a long time. He couldn't catch a cold out there. If we take Daly out of the equation, the entire Munster back line ran for 70m despite Munster having 53% possession.

They'll be very frustrated with their set piece. They were in the ascendancy fully at the scrum before one of the most impressive debuts in recent times from Scott Wilson. The line out completely fell apart without Barron but they had lost a couple before that too. I think they suffered from no real line out leader out there in terms of a POM or Beirne.

Was very impressed with Edogbo in the opening quarter but he faded rapidly then. If he sorts that fitness, he is going to be an animal. There's a logic for himself and Ahern swapping roles. I thought Coombes was the opposite. Very mediocre opening half. Sloppy with ball in hand and at the base a couple of times and the opening try was scored despite McCann cleaning him of the ball. But he responded in the second half, still didn't look as good as he has been in the past. Thought Hodnett was everywhere if not getting a lot of reward for his efforts.

In terms of Ulster, I felt sorry for Greg McGrath. He's an AIL player who took his shot but was found wanting. He did adjust and improve but a lot of damage was done before that. I thought Treadwell was good and a menace in the line out which was great to see.

Doak was lively when the bench came on but I thought his passing was muck in the first half. Hitting a lot of back shoulders or being slow to pass which killed momentum. Conversely, Burns was very good. He's completely the forgotten man in Irish rugby. If Carty, Crowley or Byrne gave that display, there would be a lot of talk about his performance. He got run over once or twice but still kept moving the ball and his team as well as still putting himself in for those tackles. Ulster looked dangerous on many occasions when he looked to move it. The kick for the try was tidy even if Stockdale didn't need to let it bounce.

Stockdale was good again though. No real errors after spilling the early kick from Crowley and made yards repeatedly. He looks back in form and will surely be in the Irish training squad again at this stage.

McCann was the real winner though. Physical around the park and a menace at the breakdown. He looks bulkier this season and is going to really put himself in the frame for a call up.

All in all, an absorbing game. I think Munster will be disappointed given the relative performances in the build up and the starting line ups. Ulster needed it more though so it's good overall for the league/interpro series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

outside the refereeing decisions that was as poor a game I have seen in some time in actuality Had read an article about Ulster's resurgence after last weekend only for it to be replaced with same ole same old. shame really

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Same thoughts here , he couldn’t let 6/7 minutes pass without making a significant enough error and them two on the line were complicit enough too….

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Was fantastic at last seasons u20's. Delighted to see him involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭homecouldbhere

Fairly telling that your summation of that game involved praising a mere 2 of your team's players, while specifically criticising 5 munster players by name.

Might I suggest you try to enjoy your teams victory more than your opponents defeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Oh don't be so touchy. It's part of any good sports rivalry. Munster fans are just as bad when they win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 kingoflaois

It’s par for the course for that poster. Odious stuff, would be here dishing out personal abuse to Ulster players if they lost as well. The worst type Irish rugby has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off for you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Scythica

Well played ulster always nice to get one over on another province. Hopefully this season is the making of Mccann and wouldn't mind seeing more of Wilson/postlewaite

Advertisement