Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A2 Rate house is so cold at night

• 11-11-2023 2:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭

I moved into a new build last October and all has been going well but the house does be quite cold particularly the kids bedrooms which are north facing.

I reckon it's mainly down to the hole in the wall ventilation as I can feel a steady stream of cold air flowing through them. The builders cheaped out and put very low quality plastic vent covers that are just grills both inside and outside. I found the same covers in screwfix for like 5 euro each.

I'm actually surprised the houses are A2 rated with having no mechanical ventilation other than in the wet rooms. And we've a gas boiler with normal rads. I reckon it's the solar panels on the roof that bumped the rating up to pass the requirements.

But either way, coming into winter now the cold air is very noticeable and the kids waking up cold during the night unless we keep the heating running.

I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for tackling this issue? I was thinking firstly of maybe getting an air tightness test done to check there's no big issues elsewhere with heat loss.

But I'm also looking for suggestions for vents to replace the current ones with that might allow for controlling the airflow to block some out during particularly cold nights.

Every room in the house has these cheap vents and it's beginning to really annoy me now.

I'd appreciate any suggestions

Tagged:

Comments

Advertisement