Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel Cinematic Universe general stuff

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

They used to say that Marvel was the biggest Indie movie house in Hollywood, now it's just a section of Disney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,753 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

penny wise and pound stupid comes to mind, cheap out on directors/writers and spend obscene amounts on soulless effects as if 100 things to look at on one screen is more impressive than something more focused. Its like all the nonsense on Trek and Star wars with just copy pasting stuff all over the screen, complete hacks!!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,187 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Yep its like what @Mitch Connor said aswell they did 90% of the origin work for a Young Avengers series (maybe keeping Yelena off the board for now if she was gunna be with Thunderbolts). Maybe bringing Kamala in instead depending on her placement after The Marvels.

Yet they went for an Agatha series instead post WandaVision? They've ignored the open goal they created with a Young Avengers lineup.

Similarly they never seem to have given any inkling that Vision is going to do anything again further undermining his "conclusion" in WandaVision. Hell come to think of it, he could have very well served as some kind of senior mentor to the Young Avengers group, maybe exploring his memories/feelings of Tommy and Billy from WV by mentoring these young generation of heroes.

Moon Knight is oft forgotten but was quite good, almost Legion-esque in places. But given that they had already acquired FOX by then, it was definitely a big miss to have an Egyptian based show which lent into gods/legends give no allusions to Apocalypse or his Horsemen. Thats a seed/egg that woulda been used in the first 3 phases.

Instead it was Agatha and WonderMan because.......??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,321 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think what would have been better for the D+ TV shows would be if they were a step separated from the movies, kind of similar to when the Marvel shows were on Netflix. If the D+ shows were about the smaller characters/stories which didn't have as much of an effect on the movies, but maybe interacted with each other instead of having to go from movie, to TV, to movie etc. The movies affecting the TV shows, but the TV shows having a minor effect on the movies (as opposed to completely changing Wanda's whole character & motivations, setting up the cast of Thunderbolts etc).

It seems to be the direction they're planning on going, with Echo being the first Marvel Spotlight show which will be more about grounded heroes and smaller stories. Daredevil will probably be under the same banner.

Might have been confusing referencing Apocalypse in Moon Knight considering who previously played him in the X-Men film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,399 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Forgot all about Theron, and I love her as an actress.

Which then reminded me that Harry Styles popped up in a post credits, as Thanos' brother.

I can't get excited for these things, cause there is no sense of them actually happening.

They appear to be just making movies to make them.

Why did they bother doing Eternals. Not only have we not seen those characters again, but the GIANT FREAKING MONSTER STICKING OUT OF THE PLANEY, or the other giant freaking monster that enveloped the world to talk to someone has been mentioned. When there is no impact on the world, I don't care.

Well they used Evan Peters for an extended dick joke so probably not.

But if not him they could have had "mysterious American Union Uniform from the American Civil War found in an ancient pyramid dated from before the Civil War" on display at the museum (one of the horseman was a confederate soldier), or hieroglyphs of Archangels wings etc) Easter Eggs like that were prevalent in earlier phases as a signpost of the future direction.

Haha, fair point. I actually loved them using Evan Peters a Pietro in Wandavision, I thought it was genius way to utilise the formula of the show (Darcy saying that he's been recast), reference his past as Quicksilver, and was a lot of fun. The dick joke though.... that was just awful and really annoyed people who were already annoyed that he was Quicksilver but not the Fox Quicksilver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The more I think about it, the more I think the earlier poster who suggested bringing back Chris Evans etc back as dark Nazi versions of themselves might be a genuinely fun way to approach a reboot team up of some kind.

But God, they wrote them into corners with certain characters. Eg neighbourhood spiderman becoming impossible by naming Parker as spiderman resulting in stupid spells to reset memories. Slightly smaller worlds would be refreshing. Even accepting the concept of the multiverse leaves them free to do properly standalone stories around characters in certain universes but that doesn't seem to have even been considered.

Tangent completed, it just feels like it's all about figuring out the next big event rather than properly standalone stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭kerplun k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There's still scope to tell self-contained stories of various genres and tones within a bigger connected universe. The comics themselves demonstrate this. But they're drunk on cross-selling viewers between all the various movies and shows (also similar to the line-wide events increasingly happening in comic books), using the films as marketing vehicles themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Blade will be R-rated

Demange can use those lessons, and focus on directing the two-time Oscar winner Ali in a ferocious new Blade, a tall order because of the indelible link to Wesley Snipes in those early New Line R-rated films.

“They gave me the R, which is so important,”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

Regarding the multiverse, instead of continually looking at it from the current marvel universe and characters we know from 616(or 199999 or whatever it is), just make films in different universes that are their own story that might have minor references, if any, to the concept of the multiverse.

The audience has had the concept explained enough at this stage so just saying in the promotional material that a certain film isn’t set in the core MCU should be enough.

The current Earth feels overstuffed with heroes as it is, adding mutants and vampires to that makes it less grounded in a real place than it should be.

Blade, X-Men, The Fantastic Four should be their own stories in the own universes that don’t have the baggage of 15 years of continuity, with the characters introduced to our characters for the big Avengers type team up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm not usually one to ascribe meaning to film ratings, but that's something at least; don't think there'd be much leeway given to a new Blade film that couldn't or wouldn't at least indulge in what I presume will be hardcore violence and/or language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Yeah. One of the good things about the first Ant-Man (Apart from Michael Pena) was the fact that it was pretty much its own thing: A comedy heist movie. Minimal interaction with the overarching MCU. Yes, Howard Stark was at the start and Falcon was there but in general, it was its own thing. And it meant you could just WATCH it!

I mean, really, WHY was that girl with her Iron-man suit in Black Panther 2 apart from introducing her for her own series/movie/whatever? WHY didn't they leave Not-John Snow as just Not-John Snow instead of that post credit sequence.... You know the one that WASN'T yer man from One Direction (Jesus). Now we have to watch Captain Marvel, Wandavision and Miss Marvel before watching Marvels? That's 20 hours of programming.

Do we REALLY want Blade to fight Jared Leto or to trade quips with Star Lord? Or have some Family Guy-esque tangential reference like "Wow, I haven't seen THIS many dead bodies since Iron-Man 5: The Quest for Peace"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The Marvels actually has positive reviews by sounds of it. So I'll be going I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't wish the MCU ill but I have been wondering how they'll react to their first, bonafide bomb; I suppose Eternals was a disappointment but it was also a bit of a wild swing of sorts. This is a sequel to one of their main Big Hitters and a character who seems relatively central to the whole universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,132 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,767 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

'Atrocious' and 'worst MCU film yet' from Donald Clarke. Oof. Will see where the other reviews land, but as ever a reminder to ignore the inevitably gushing 'social media reactions' from the premiere.

• Advertisement

Worst MCU film yet is itself kind of unhelpful given we've had some pretty good contenders for that label, I'm finding it immediately hard to imagine it's somehow even worse than Love & Thunder or Ant-Man 3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

the original release date for this movie was a year (ish) before secret invasion... not a big mystery.

Jeremy had a bit of the what was he watching about him. Not a movie that will have "legs" i reckon ,

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The after credit scene was up on Youtube so I'm good until this shows up on Disney+ an maybe not even then depending on the general response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm hoping it's just a load of neck beards being nasty. Iman Vellani doesn't deserve a shrug and a "That's showbiz" as she gets kicked out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I liked Captain Marvel. The Skrulls were handled surprisingly well, and I enjoyed for once the subversive nature of the final fight....but they haven't compelled me to watch the sequel in the cinema.

They've just lost all control of a tight narrative and that's the biggest issue for me. As others have said, Multiverse was awesome on paper, but it's been done so half heartedly. You have to make these things mean something beyond fan service.

They've had multiple ideas that you could say that about in Phase 4/5. The Skrulls in Secret Invasion is another example, a good idea that could of been fascinating but ended up being a story they couldn't effectively develop.

I'd like to think Deadpool 3 will be the start of the course correction but I have no confidence.

• Advertisement

I think it'd be hard to fcuk up Deadpool given Ryan Reynolds is untouchable and likely wont let an Origins level butchering of the character happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,324 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For Deadpool, depending on how much Wolverine is in it, I can see it just being them enjoying themselves with the plot a secondary thing. So could be a fun watch or could be all over the place. But I think they're both professional enough to want to make it as good as they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Deadpool will be the only MCU film in 2024.

Captian America, Thunderbolts and Blade are now pushed to 2025.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,980 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not surprised by what I've seen review wise. Looks like a pretty bad movie by all accounts. I'm going to not go and see it.

If I'm depressed and hating myself enough I might give it a watch on Disney +.

P.S I see they were giving out free alcoholic beverages at the press screenings...

Edit: meant to put in The Marvels thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Marvels Spoiler:

If you'd just waited 3 more days they would have answered your issue regarding Bishop, Young Avengers etc

• Advertisement

If you read the thread, very few people want standalone movies.

There are endless posters frustrated that the bigger plot isn't moving on or loose ends arent tied up. People always complain when there isn't a tie in.

What makes the MCU different and what studio after studio has fell on its face trying to build is the interconnectedness.

The COVID element and now the writers strike are absolutely huge issues, that are generally downplayed. Add the unfortunate death of one of the actors who was going to lead the MCU and you can see the mess they're in compared to the relatively smooth early phases.

Due to COVID everything has been pushed back so many times (e.g., the Marvels was supposed to originally come out the summer of 2022) and it even changed order of the movies causing huge rewrites and reshoots. I agree with many on Wanda wasn't smoothly transitioning to MoM, but that is understandable when you look at the context that MoM was originally supposed to come out before No Way Home and Loki, so a load of stuff that had to be changed when the order was flipped.

MCU was a well oiled machine from Phase 1 to 3 which was ran smoothly and was turned up to go faster and faster, with more movies coming out. When it got to Phase 4, and you add in Disney+, it was starting to go a bit too fast and then the wrench of COVID was thrown into it which blew the whole thing up. Rather than stopping the machine completely and fixing everything before slowly getting going again, they just tried to put some tape on it each time it broke and fight fires while maintaining the same fast pace.

It does look like they've listened and the most recent pushback of movies from 2024 into 2025, leaving just Wolverine between now and 2025, and pausing others. It seem like they're trying to finally reset everything and get that path to move forward.

2025 is going to be busy with Fantastic 4 also.

Would have guessed we'd have another Spider-Man in 2025 but guess that might be one too many and probably too tight to get that into the end of 2024 unless they've something far along behind the scenes.

Wonder how much they're going to change of CA and Thunderbolts. I doubt they were going to be impacted directly by Kang, but if they were to pull Majors then they'd probably need to set up something within these to drive Secret Invasion and whatever would happen to Kang Dynasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

The great thing about the infinity saga was that the films were for the most part their own films, with hints at interconnecting - GotG, for example, had the power stone which would be important in later films but you didn’t need to know that to watch the film, it was really just a maguffin.

The post infinity saga has sort of been all over the place because a lot of the films have either spent a lot of time explaining things that you’ll need to know for later, like the multiverse, or introducing characters that will be in their own thing at some point. Theres too much emphasis on other people existing rather than a core plot that will need to bring these people together at some point. It’s almost too focused on the fact that it’s a shared universe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

https://deadline.com/2023/11/box-office-the-marvels-1235599363/

The Marvels is shaping up to be the lowest domestic opening ever for a Disney Marvel Cinematic Universe title, with a 3-day swing of $47M-$55M. That’s lower than Marvel/Universal’s The Incredible Hulk ($55.4M in 2008) and lower than Ant-Man ($57.2M, 2015).

Certain YouTube feeds will be beyond obnoxious to hear the crowing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I think everyone is happy with an interconnecting universe, but when it's hard to keep up, especially with the TV series it's when you lose people, they tried a lot of this with Agents of SHIELD and it failed. It's a very difficult thing to keep the whole thing going but when you have to do homework to watch a movie, no thank you. I was thinking of going to see Marvels and even searched for "what to know before watching the Marvels" and then I thought, I can't be arsed doing that. No problem doing it for a sequel or maybe an s sequential story like Harry Potter, but for a castaway movie, nope, I might catch it when it comes to Disney+

I think you overstate the energy , its been so well flagged for years now that it will be more ho hum, Its not like any youtubers cause a film to do better or worse in cinemas as most movie goes wont even know they exist. Maybe just maybe their analysis is more accurate and more predictive, its very unlikely they are correct for totally the wrong reasons

The people I speak of don't do "analysis" and we both know of whom I speak so let's leave it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I don't think streaming can be underestimated either in the hit cinemas have taken. A lot of people seem to be extremely comfortable now waiting for something to arrive on Disney+ or on Video on Demand

The "Event" nature of the genre seems to have simply passed. No Way Home was the last one to capture something of the essence of it for me.

I also feel that Millennials are still the key audience for these films and are the most likely to go to repeat viewings, but as they get older and priorities shift, the need to rush out and see these films is gone to a degree.

• Advertisement

I don't know, I'm a middle aged man who LOVES the cinema, I much prefer watching a movie in the cinema than at home, everything about the cinema is great, BUT, I'm not going to watch any auld shite. I've no connection to this movie outside of the fact that it's a Marvel movie so I'll give it a miss, same as I don't goto every Warner, or MGM, or Disney movie.

I dont know Youtubers I dont watch but as of now, the most common youtuber I watch is Mr H Reviews for general Hollywood takes cos he puts out nice and short 10 min videos which is about my level of interest, the question is if you see all criticism of hollywoood as "not analysis" then you may miss out on why general audiences dont like particular content or why a particular project is likely to fail before the trailers are even out.

Wtf you talking about "all criticism of Hollywood" I never said that either. Do I need to spell out that I'm talking about the very loud very obnoxious "go woke go broke" crowd who'll be lining up to declare woke Hollywood dead, spend videos sledging Larsen etc. off the back of this films box office. They have no value but man you can't avoid the man babies and negativity.

The MCU's biggest strength - its very deliberate flavour of vanilla - has basically become its largest hurdle, mixed with as you say the advent of Disney+. The formula didn't change yet the environment most certainly did: a global pandemic and streaming, coupled with visually interchangeable TV series has basically reminded audiences that the MCU is many things - but not big movies to go to the cinema for. Stuff like Top Gun Maverick made people remember that the cinema was meant to be something epic, astonishing and big.

And that's not a slight against the MCU, it had a direction and stuck to it. But every franchise since year 0 has had to mould itself with the times. Either the MCU becomes something for the cinema, or it goes to streaming. I don't think it can keep being what it still is anymore.

but are they fundamentally wrong? companies like Disney are woke, they have embraced DEI/ESG and all that corporate nonsense down to having story line rules in their writing rooms. Hollywood cant write good female characters for example, its as obvious as pie watching the comically bad examples in recent years especially if they can be compared to stuff put out from the 90's and 2000's. you will reply that its all nonsense and they just hate women as if these points can be just argued away.

As you seem to know what I'll say, and if not invent stuff, there's obviously nothing for me to add here as you have it all figured out. Thought my point was pretty clear but if you wanna #notallyoutubers and Yeah But Actually the woke bordeom, we're done.

grand, once these flops dont have you confused at all.....

What elements 'failed' with Agents of SHIELD? MCU didn't lose people, it got stronger and stronger while AoS was on the air.

I saw the Marvels and you need zero knowledge of any of the shows to get that movie, background is provided to everything a person would need. It is just people feel they need to know every bit of background to be able to enjoy the movie, which simply isnt the case.

To me you can't really compare an intro movie like GotG to sequels - it has been sequels which have really delved into the multiverse.

I do agree some of the more recent movies have characters shoved in to be seen later but that isn't a new thing. In the early phases just look at Hawkeye or Black Widow. You might say that was more naturally done but I'd argue it is probably more that we've become more aware of them.

• Advertisement

I don't even know what you're talking about now and can't imagine anyone else is entertained by your weird insistence to divine meaning from a glib comment about neckbeards. It's like grasping smoke.

Maybe consider watching a movie or two and stop hanging about threads for movies you obviously have an axe to grind. Seeya around.

Advertisement