Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult of Stephen Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People also ignore that the majority of GAA funding comes from the grassroots and local community.

For any capital investment in grounds for example a club will do it's own fundraising to supplement any government money.

Actually I believe government funding is often only supplied once a club can prove that they have raised or can raise a certain amount themselves.

But soccer can't do that, because their grassroots has all their money spent on EPL jerseys, trips to England and Sky subs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

yes. im a big soccer man but gaa clubs ability to fundraise is second to none. a lot of soccer clubs could learn something from them.

LOI clubs’ academies are ran largely by volunteers in many many (I think the majority) of cases.

which gives an insight in to how small time and underfunded Irish elite domestic football is but also how people are still willing to give up their time for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭randd1

Unfortunately, too many of them prefer to blame the GAA for their troubles.

Ignoring, of course, the shocking leadership, financial wastage and desperately poor competition structures of soccer. Or that the GAA games are native sports and part of the national identity, and will always have government investment simply on cultural grounds. Or that most of the funding the GAA gets is via fundraising.

Another aspect is exposure.

Take schools for example. The effort put in by the GAA to organise, support and run secondary schools competitions. I remember having games pretty much the entire year, hurling and football, all helped out by the county board in some way. When it came to soccer, bar the national competitions, the schools had to organise the local competitions themselves pretty much. The head of the schoolboys league in fairness to him when asked for help did organise the referee's rota, but in the main it was left to the schools themselves. I think it's improved since then, but the investment in time and effort at schools level is world's apart.

At primary school level, soccer competitions should have been a given, seeing as it's the sport most young lads played. Not once did we ever have a primary schools soccer match, except the odd friendly game between nearby schools. GAA competitions from 3rd class up, hurling and football, and regular appearances by coaches giving tips.

If you didn't know anything about sport and had to pick one that you thought was the professional sport, it wouldn't be soccer.

And that lack of exposure at a young age can leave an impression, that one sport is in order, and one doesn't know its arse from its elbows.

And that's the crux of it regarding funding. Soccer, in the main, doesn't have it's ducks in a row, structure wise or financially. Other sports do. And if I was a government minister, the money would go to the responsible sport, not the one that hasn't a clue and blows the money on nothing and then asks for more.

Sadly, Irish soccer seems bereft of actual leadership and joined up thinking. And I suspect, sadly, it always will.

Still though, lets blame the GAA. It won't solve anything, but it'll make us feel good, and less like failures.

PS - On the GAA. I'd wager that if the FAI and LOI disbanded and the District leagues packed it in due to financial pressures/mismanagement overnight, and in desperation to avoid the societal catastrophe of no soccer as an outlet and pastime for hundreds of thousands of people, the government asked the GAA to take control of soccer and run it as their own sport along their own structure, I reckon they'd make far more of a success of it than the FAI ever could.

• Advertisement

The GAA is pretty easy to run, the top brass pay themselves handsomely (https://www.offtheball.com/football/gaa-executive-pay-croke-park-averaged-e125845-2019-965684) and the elite players who actually earn the income get a few piddling grants from the government.

it runs itself and comparisons to football/soccer in Ireland aren’t comparing like with like.

tbh i think a lot of the lsl clubs in dublin and surrounding areas have done a good job at the grant stuff of late. if twitter is anything to go by there are clubs getting new astros with floodlights etc in by the month which is only a good thing. hopefully it continues and spreads around the country. could do with plenty more clubs down around here improving facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reclose

There’s no point in blaming the GAA or government.

The FAI made a bollox of things and didn’t invest in developing the grass roots properly.

We can also point a finger at all of us (me included) who never attend LOI games.

I can never understand so many people supporting English clubs or the best one of supporting Celtic because they are Irish yet won’t actually support a real Irish club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Another major issue is the lack of sponsor for the Men's Senior Team. The current CEO, who doesn't even live in the country, was touted as a 'sponsorship guru', and yet he hasn't managed to secure a shirt sponsor in his 3 years in charge! Coffers for a new manager's salary are much lower as a result.

Not to mention the match programmes are all produced and designed in the UK now. Surely an Irish company could do this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,548 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Gus Poyet seems to really want the job the way he talking in the media the last couple of days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

Obviously an upgrade on our current manager having embarrassed him twice and giving our group a really good go with a worse squad. In our price range as well so has to be taken as a serious candidate if he's really interested.

I see Kenny is in the running for the Lincoln City job who are mid table in league 1 which is probably about where his level of management really is.

It's time now for him to bow out of the Ireland Job in a fortnight let everyone including himself move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

'' worse squad '' ??

They were technically very gifted and miles ahead of our squad in ability and physicality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The usual clown show in the LoI over the past week shows that “real football men” are incapable of managing the development of soccer in this country. It’s closer to boxing than it is to rugby or GAA.

It’s the LOI’s fault that a Turkish man pays 3 million for a largely unsuccessful Irish club that doesn’t own its ground and then cedes the investment back to the original owners for nothing.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Musicrules

They should all be playing for top clubs then? It's just nonsense. The usual talking up of other teams to try to defend Kenny. I've said before, not many people were talking up Georgia when McCarthy drew away with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,758 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

You didn't see the games then. Anyone who did would have seen the difference. And I didn't even mention Kenny.

Government funding stopped for the FAI over serious governance issues.

They probably can't even afford any manager now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

The league of Ireland is better known for how poorly run most of the clubs are rather than for the quality of the football on the pitch. Cork, Galway, Limerick, Shels have all gone bust. The FAI is too heavy with blazers who you wouldn’t let feed a cat, never mind run a club or football association. This is in sharp contrast to how well managed and ran the IRFU and the GAA are.

• Advertisement

Why are the events at shels this week proof of the LOI/FAI being unable to manage the development of football in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,288 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

In fairness the GAA haven’t been without governance issues. However the media are a lot less interested on reporting about that then they should be.

GAA club near me got government funding in the last few years for replacement floodlights, an all weather pitch and refurbishment of their handball alley….which is a head scratcher…. That is all just one GAA club.

GAA have it easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

At the time?? They got Mick at the same time as they promised Kenny the job. Stop talking nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭TokTik

We were literally one goal away from automatic qualification in Micks last campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,192 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

GAA club near me got government funding in the last few years for replacement floodlights, an all weather pitch and refurbishment of their handball alley….which is a head scratcher…. That is all just one GAA club.

What you are conveniently not mentioning is that the majority of the cost of those upgrades came from the club fundraising, membership fees, sponsorship etc, not from the government.

No I’m just talking just about the government grants… the taxpayers money they were enabled with despite the profits and money that the GAA make / have. Directly from the Regional Capital Allocations Document which only includes government grant numbers… Nothing else ;)

62,217 euros… to refurbish a handball alley.

48,000 people right now in the Aviva for the FAI Cup final, 4 goals, cracker of a game played in a great competitive spirit on a carpet of a pitch inside a modern, comfortable class stadium.

imagine the extra interest and attendances and appeal if the LOI clubs could get a fraction of the dig out enabled to the GAA…that is repeatedly enabled to the good old GAA…

easily done, but of course politics, nervousness, paranoia, malevolence and begrudgery forbids it.

The idea that the government in anyway funds the GAA’s success is so so wrong.

both sports are leaned on for tax revenue as opposed to being invested in, especially GAA.

football at least got the 40 or 50 million bailout but that was partly a consequence of underinvestment

• Registered Users Posts: 7,242 ✭✭✭Gusser09

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Lad, dont start a post with "mate". That's a tan phrase.

If I get banned for saying this then at least I educated

• Advertisement

Only when it comes to the money they receive from the taxpayers…. Not anti GAA at all :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement