Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

What you are saying means in effect that a grown woman needs to be wary of her husband, brother and father along with any adult male she is friends with or works with

some way to live

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'd be delighted to once you fulfil the outstanding requests I've made of you.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Shoog

Yes since sexual assault in the family is the most common, that would be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Very few women are actively afraid of all the men in their life because it is, as you say, no way to live. But the sad fact is that any woman is statistically far, far, far more likely to be violently/sexually assaulted or killed by her husband, brother or father than by the mythical faux-trans bogeymen people like you are convinced are hiding in every bathroom and shared space. That's why people are calling your bullshït out for what it is.

It takes quite the level of cognitive dissonance to get your pants in a bunch over the supposed threat posed by trans women and at the same time clutch your pearls when people point out that maybe - just maybe - straight men are incontrovertibly the far bigger threat to women's safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

This is all very familiar, the slippery slope argument.

Homosexuality was punishable by flogging in the 1800s, then by imprisonment as in Oscar Wilde, then they stopped putting them in prison, then they legalised it, then it became acceptable with civil marriages and gay marriage. The final straw was giving gays the right to adopt children. You'd never see a gay person in 80s Ireland, now they are everywhere.

It'll be compulsory in 20 years time, and if you aren't gay, people will choose to be trans instead. Bloody everywhere.

It has always been the same, children can't go down coalmine anymore, they'll all go soft, women start going to work, workplaces will become hysterical, men will get infected, legalise homosexuality and there'll be gays and trans people everywhere.

The reason you can see more gay and trans people is because it is now more acceptable in society. They were always there hiding in the closet. The reason they hid it was attitudes like yours were the norm 40 years ago and people couldn't come out. Now they can.

The reason you see more is because your intolerance is losing and society is becoming more open.

Its like saying everybody has mental health issues these days. No, it isn't covered up like priests sexualy abusing kids left, right and centre was in the 80s. People can say they had bad bouts of depression without people saying "its the nerves again".

Gays and trans people should be covered up and stay quiet, like children should be seen and not heard in the 80s. See how that worked out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Nah.

Gay women are women.

Gay people have no natural advantage in sport Transwomen do.

It's not a slippery slope argument it's an argument based on biological fact.

Stop trying to turn the debate around this issue into something it isn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Yes, it is. During the SSM referendum, the right told us we'd be legalising beastiality next. It's the same histrionics every single f*cking time.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

It’s pointless even discussing it as you can’t reform half the population bar setting up re-education camps

no country ever implemented a national policy based on the potential threat from the entire male population, the same folks calling for it will balk at any sort of vague generalisations of minority groups

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭TokTik

From U.K. I can’t find any figures for Ireland. Imagine if 50% of all male prisoners were sentenced for sexual offences. There’d be uproar.

“In 2019 the MOJ released statistics showed half of the male prisoners who declared themselves transgender have been sentenced with one or more sexual offences.”

https://fairplayforwomen.com/transgender-male-criminality-sex-offences/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,707 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm not sure I've ever witnessed such a spectacular display of missing the point. That's actually quite the achievement, well done.

Post edited by Dial Hard on

• Advertisement

The old "Sexual offences are only bad when trans people and BAME people are behind them" shtick. Pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Shock horror, I'd actually agree with you on the sports point.

Until science eventually comes up with a way to level the playing field there, it isn't fair. When science does, as it inevitably will, then I'll change my view.

It's funny, this whole argument reminds me of ex football players. "The games gone, you can't tackle like Grahame Souness or Chopper Harris anymore". Used to be a mans game.

Or to quote Airplane:

"What's a man doing with a bobby pin?"

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Indeed true fantastical levels of obscuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If you want to portray transwomen as being dangerous what you should be doing is telling us what percentage of transwomen have comitted an offense.

So we can add statistical analysis to analogies as something you don't know how to do.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

But those people are clearly loons.I don't think many people were making that argument during the same sex marriage referendum , just a few loons.

There are perfectly sensible arguments being made about access to women only spaces.It's not exclusively "the right" that is pointing out that biology is important and shouldn't be forgotten.Old school feminist for example make this case and they certainly aren't considered to be "The right" (whatever that means these days)

The only histrionics tend to come from the TRA side, JK Rowling for example makes a perfectly reasonable case that biological differences are important and should never be forgotten and the TRA side has a conniption and wants her banned from everything, wants to pretend she did't exist.

What exactly do you mean when you say "the right"?

PS, advance warning I won't accept any definition of it you provide just like you refused to accept any definition of what people said the phrase "Woke" means to them.

I was here for the SSM referendum. That was a regular trope. We'd also be destroying marriage, legalising more than two-person marriages, turning Dublin into Babylon and eradicating "traditional values". It was such an obvious choice to make that the right had to resort to deranged nonsense like this and they lost.

I know hate when I see it and I've no interest in the JK Rowling victimhood narrative. She was a beloved author and now she's Graham Linehan with her former collaborators running a mile. Class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The only histrionics tend to come from the TRA side

Ahh now, that’s evidently not true, even from the way this thread which was started with the idea of questioning whether society has become more woke, has descended down the usual rabbit hole of portraying men as a constant threat to women and everyone should be hyper vigilant about it, and those who aren’t, are the people who are woke?

It just makes no sense, yammering on about perverts invading women’s spaces when in reality it’s far more likely that perverts who are of a mind to engage in that sort of behaviour, the last place you’ll find them is in women’s spaces. They’re far more likely to be in places where they can violate the trust of their victims, like this pervert:

https://www.thejournal.ie/swim-coach-secretly-recorded-girls-changing-6220074-Nov2023/

(ringing endorsement from his wife and his mother-in-law)

Or this weirdo, following people around recording them on his phone when they’re just trying to get their grocery shopping done:

https://www.thepinknews.com/2013/11/20/tesco-launches-inquiry-into-employees-posting-online-photos-and-videos-abusing-trans-customers/

Generally, people just aren’t interested in that sort of thing, which is why there are some people exaggerating and fearmongering and calling anyone who doesn’t share their views “woke”, as though anyone who doesn’t share their views doesn’t care as much about protecting women and children as they do! It’s a weird sort of reversal of the concept of “woke” in all fairness.

You're hardly using a few loons on a boards thread as representative of the views of the whole country.

JK Rowling is still a beloved author, it's only a tiny minority of loons that don't like her anymore.They predicted the new Harry Potter video game would be impacted by her views and it was incredibly successful.Her books still sell and will continue to sell, her views were relatively uncontroversial to anyone with a degree of sense.

JK Rowling lost about 3/4 of her fans when she started ranting about trans issues. Her fanbase was made up of exactly the demographic who is most accepting of trans-people.

I don't suppose she cares much since she is minted, but she sure plays the victim card well.

For me her most terrible sin is her appalling writing style, unforgivable when you have to read her drivel to your children.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

to be fair, I'd agree with most of what you say here, but it's the fact that this is being used as some sort of anti-trans argument that makes it a bit bogus. Some posters just use it as an excuse.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

It's Ireland's premier discussion site. It's a fair metric and indicative of what I've heard people IRL say as well.

Haven't read the books in yonks. What did you find wrong with her writing style?

This is not Ireland's premier discussion site.Nor was it back then either, it had been well overtaken by Twitter, Facebook by then.

Really? She's lost 3/4 of her fans, I very much doubt that is the case.Have you any evidence to back that up?

Her fanbase is made up of pretty much everyone, she really doesn't have a particular specific fans base like some authors have, that's the reason she's sold 600 million copies of her books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭TokTik

You got an example of one of her rants? I’ve never seen one. Just her measured, common sense opinion.

Clunky and obvious. No poetry to the language. The stories were ok but the writing was dreadful.

Compare her to Philip Pullman and His Dark Materials trilogy and it's night and day.

Fair enough. It's been decades but teenage me wouldn't have picked up on that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

there is abuse in LGBT couples as well , and Lesbian couples isnt lower, would suggest that not all people are good in relationships as it sometimes brings out the worst in people as opposed to seeing things as women good men bad

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Likely to get thrown out by the WRC.

The National Women's Council recently banned transphobic people from an event. They tried to sue on the basis of religious discrimination and the WRC threw it out.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

The Pope has authorised the baptism of trans people. The Bible also says that you're supposed to love everyone and never to judge but of course Christians insist on taking an a la carte approach to their faith.

The children of gay couples will also be baptised, with trans people permitted to serve as godparents and wedding witnesses.

Pope Francis has approved a document from the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith, which states that a transgender person 'can be admitted to the role of godparent' for baptism, can serve as a witness at a wedding, and can receive baptism.

The right to receive baptism also extends to children who have been adopted or conceived through surrogacy by people in same-sex couples.

Of course, the "definitions" I got for woke here fits the Catholic Church perfectly.

• Advertisement

The point is not that it's an either/or situation. There are abusive relationships in all groupings. The point is that some people only want to focus on trans-abusers and ignore all the others, especially if they are from one of the most abusive groups of the lot.

It's the implicit dishonesty of trying to say that trans-women are a special risk.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement