Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭readoutloud

Actually, things like 'universal' energy credits drive inflation. But I guess they help households in the short term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭skidmarkoner

Honestly just start slow why wait for the union? My wage is nowhere enough to live off so you pay peanuts you get monkey's....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭combat14

"Of course, I would expect that the significant package of cost of living and taxation measures provided for in this Budget, which will benefit public servants, would be appropriately factored into those discussions," Mr Donohoe said in his speech.

what absolute nonsense .. some very short lived temporary energy credits (for everyone) .. permanent cost of living increases for workers and 14 billion giveaway for those on the dole

nothing for hundreds of thousands of government employees is not going to wash right before an election year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭bren2001

I don't deny that but I also don't see the relevance in relation to my point.

They're one off, the inflation has baked in increases across the board.

It also means the government now pays non-employees too? Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭salonfire

keep your nonsense out of it.

Nonsense? Look at the post above yours when you made this comment. When challenged, that poster accepted my position. So it not nonsense.

It's the same as the Teaching and Lecturing forum, I have dozens of posts there and I don't know the first thing about teaching!

The lies and spin is so prevalent there, it has to be challenged and corrected continuously. The regulars there would love to see me banned from there too but of course can't because my points are 100% factual and they wouldn't have a leg to stand on banning someone who disagrees with the spin.

It's far from nonsense I can tell you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

This line they took last year, and now again this year, that "budget measures" should be taken into consideration when negotiating public service pay agreements needs to be knocked on the head by the Unions, immediately.

I knew when they got away with it last year, that they would do it again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

No it’s definitely nonsense…it’s why you disappear out of the thread for a while every time you make a fool of yourself. At least you aren’t ‘debating’ with your other account this time I suppose.

And you’d have been banned a long time ago if the site wasn’t so desperate for every bit of traffic it can get.

Jesus, this site used to be so busy there was only ever good faith debate because single posters were expendable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Lollipop95

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this in, but thought I’d try get some opinions anyways.

I saw the news yesterday about the HSE recruitment freeze now applying to all staffing. I’m applying for a clerical officer role and at the last stages of the process - no contract signed though. I’d say it is highly likely this news will impact my role so I’m fearful I’ll be told it won’t going it ahead.

I did see Sinn Fein were calling for the decision to be reversed immediately. Is there any chance that there’ll be an outcry and the government will give in and give the HSE the bail out they’re looking for?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Daith

They given them twice now. Not quite a one off.

They should be factored into the discussion . They have eased the effect of inflation and their is a solid argument that the increase should be the inflation rate excluding the cost of energy (or a reduced effect.of that). If the credits are gone next year, that can be factored into the next deal. Once there's some consistency.

It's a reasonable position for the government to take.

Budget measures should not form any part of pay negotiations for the simple reason that they do not apply to all. Across the population, some benefitted much more generously than others.

Not every person in the employ of the Civil and Public Service is either (a) a homeowner or a renter who is also the bill payer (b) a parent of young children (c) in receipt of some form of social welfare.

I guarantee you if someone in the private sector was negotiating a new pay rate with their employer, and the employer said "ah sure, didn't you benefit from the electricity credits?" it wouldn't fly.

It is not a reasonable position for the government to include budget measures as part of a pay negotiation, and the Unions need to make that very clear.

I'll definately be communicating this to my Union Representatives on Monday, and I suggest others do the same.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

Then by the same logic, inflation shouldn't factor into pay negotiations. It doesn't effect everyone equally.

The energy credits were universal and it's perfectly understandable for them to be used as an argument.

If you're not effected by the increase in energy prices directly then you didn't receive the credits. If you are, then you received the credits. It's a fair a reasonable position for the government to take. of course budget measures will be factored in if of course you accept inflation should be the foundational argument for increases.

Yet again, your logic is flawed. The account holder gets the energy credit.

Do you think every owner-occupier who is letting out rooms, will share the credit with their licencees?

Or that every twenty or thirty something who is stuck living at home with their parents because they can't afford to move out, and who are trying to save while also contributing to their keep, are un-effected by the rise in energy costs?

Just because their name is not on the account, does not mean they are un-effected.

But they certainly will not receive the "universal" energy credits. Because they're not universal.

But the public pay talks are not going to be dictated by the small percentage you are talking about. The unions are negotiating for the majority and the vast majority of people in the public sector will receive energy credits.

I'm not going to get into the weeds with regards licensees or people living with Mam and Dad. Those people likely don't split the bills. If the licensee is paying a flat rate, then they're not effected. If they split the bill, of course you'd expect the credit to be passed on.

The vast majority of people in the public sector are either uneffected by rising domestic energy prices or the impact has been greatly reduced by the credits. Hence, its fair to take them (and probably them alone) into account. The handful on the outside unfortunately, in my opinion, tough.

Why should the vast majority get the energy credits and a rise equal to inflation (including rising energy costs over the past 2 years)? That doesn't make sense. The energy credits have to be taken into account for them and that may result in a 0.5 or 1% difference.

It's also alright for us to have differing opinions.

the minimum wage is rising from 11.3 to 12.70 next year.. a 12.4% increase

if other lower paid workers dont see increases to keep on a par with cost of living increases there wont be much incentive for these workers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

A very good point. Public servants will get no where near 12.4%. They'll be lucky to get half that and my prediction is that it will be a quarter of that figure.

"The unions are negotiating for the majority and the vast majority of people in the public sector will receive energy credits."

You'd be surprised. From what I can see in my own dept very few under 40 who are homeowners or not stuck living at home or in a house-share.

"The handful on the outside unfortunately, in my opinion, tough."

Really?

You know, for all you say that you'll refuse any deal that is less than inflation, I think you're really playing at being some kind of devils' advocate.

with euro zone inflation now projected to be 4% for next year ordinary skilled PS workers will fall behind again

many including teachers will vote with their feet and head elsewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭chrisd2019

However these energy credits in no way compensate for rises in others costs such as food and other essentials.

My wife and I are PS workers. We got one credit between us. Why do we have to share a "benefit'?

It's a joke and you know it

Hence why I said factor in the credits. It doesn't wash away inflation i.e. inflation minus contribution from gas/electricity (I'm not actually saying it's that blunt and all.of energy should be ignored)

I'll wait on the deal to be published and judge it then. If it's less then inflation, I'll vote no. I'll factor in energy credits into my decision.

Wanting the best deal and factoring in budgetary measures (specifically energy credits) are not mutually exclusive.

We arrive at different positions. I get your view and see the rationale. I just don't agree.

Well then the rising cost of energy is split between you. Why should you get a pay rise to combat the full cost when it only partially effects you?

You might not agree with my view but there is rationale to it. You just don't agree with it. Thats fine. I get the counter argument, it's just not one I buy into.

So not a pay rise and not universally applied.

Private sector employees get that plus any pay rise.

Households with one of each get multipliers, in your world. In no pay negotiations should tax credits and grants every make an impact to pay.

They also mean sweet **** all to my pension

Why the hell are people shilling for the employer? Turkey votes and Christmas come to mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

So I agree a 4000 raise with my employer. But then we go through and tot up the government budgetary measures applicable to me and reassess. €450 energy credit, 2 kids so a double payment in December €280, tax changes 2024 is about €1000. I am better of by €1,730.

4000-1730=2270 is the raise I'll be offered.

Is that what the Private Sector should do? It's essentially what the Paschal is suggesting for the Public Sector, except worse cause it's an across the board negotiation.

It's an absolute farce.

I'm not advocting for a pay rise.Id advocate that we shouldn't get an effective pay cut. I thought that was your position too.

The only difference is I factor in the energy credits. You dont.

There's really no point in going in circles. I've laid out my position and it's not for you. That's the purpose of a forum.

Edit: I also fully expect that the deal won't meet my slightly lower expectations anyway and I'll be voting no alongside you and others here.

• Advertisement

Your comparing a negotation for a single person and an entire workforce. That makes no sense.

If an employee walked into my office and said give me a pay rise of X percent because of inflation, I'd immediately counter with energy credits. Any employer would. It's the logical counter.

Advertisement