Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

If VAR brings more money into the game directly or indirectly (drama, controversy, debate, increasing tv audience, social media exposure) it will stay. If it starts to cost money (fan frustration, loss of interest, disengagement) it will go eventually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Rules are rules, you can't call the game back because Mac Allister '' didn't '' handle the ball in the first minute, for a goal in the 97th, there was many states or play after it, he didn't score, and it was deflected ball, so it can't be a handball anyway, not that it's worth debating it, as he wasn't the one who scored, another VAR CrapFest , oh well still unbeaten in forever .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,304 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Look lads, forget about the ref and the handball. We got exactly what we dedrrvrd from s poor performance, nothing. The test is just noise.

Very slack all over, seemed to have the attitude of jjsh9 turn up and we win this, kinda like last Sunday.

Nobody comes out with any credit really. No tempo in the middle the most worrying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭ConcertKing

Yet again Trent was absolute poison when he came on.Just terrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭McFly85

We were below our own standards but I don’t think that means we deserved nothing from the game.

We scored 3 goals, so did they. I think we deserved a draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Augme

When the player is nearly 31, it's really not.

He's a body to play 6 in the non-important matches, which is exactly what he had done and will continue to do this for the rest of the season. That's his ceiling though and his role in the squad will always be to allow our better players to have a rest. He's been grand for what we need this season.

He was subbed off at half-time, not sure I'd call that fine. But it's not like he was head shoulders the worst out there either. But his main role in the squad is to allow our better players have a rest, he really didn't dona great job of that tonight.

Given the lack of depth at 6 I'd expect a player to start very quickly tbh. When we signed Fab we had Henderson, Millner and Wijnaldum. I'll be surprised if Endo is a the club next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

They could have scored 6,and we scored two. Not looking for an argument, but we were way off. Not panic stations or anything, but we're going through a sticky patch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Very worrying performance. Hoping for better against Brentford. But they’re a tough side to break down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭Thud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,069 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He's 30, at his peak, and is an established pro with seasons of consistently good performances - exactly what we were crying out for along with our high-ceiling kids. He doesn't particularly need to get better as a player, he just needs to be acclimated to our system. DM is entirely a system's position, and has been for quite a while now. The most important aspect of it is total awareness of what everyone else is going to do, so they can be in the right place all the time... sort of like how a QB needs to know everyone else's job as well as their own.

To be honest i'm getting mixed messages from ya; "Time won't help Endo. He simply isn't good enough and never will be." and "He's been grand for what we need this season." - those are two very different statements for the same person to say only a few posts apart 😅. No-one thinks he was bought to be 'the guy' - he was bought to be the depth that every squad needs, for which he's a great option. I'd not be surprised to see him come into the team more over the next while in games where we need a more defensive base, particularly based on his strong recent performances.

As for tonight, I'm surprised you'd try to use that as some slight on him - we were chasing a goal, so brought on an attacking midfielder for a defensive midfielder. With him already being on a yellow, it was a no-brainer. I think it's also very fair to see we looked a lot more defensively suspect after he went off too - were reasonably grand and solid defensively first half, aside from Tsimikas individual fck up, whereas we looked incredibly fragile in the second half.

As for Fab's first season - I seem to recall some lad on here saying Fab would never be good enough after the Arsenal game, in November 2018 😅. Milner and Henderson in midfield together were absolute poison that season, horrible to watch, and a total creative void causing big problems. It was only once Fab eventually came in that we started looking more cohesive - but Klopp wanted to wait until he was ready with the system, same as he's done with every single defensive addition, with Van Dijk the one and only exception. Robertson, Konate, Fabinho, Endo, Tsimikas etc all had to wait a few months. I'd be fairly confident the next lad will be the same as those that preceded him.

(Honestly, I'm a bit baffled this is even a conversation - he's just not been an issue worth complaining about at all)

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Endo doesn't seem to be up to it, it's a level above where he has been which is difficult to do after thirty,he seems a great professional but it's a stretch for him, small margins.

Is this the first game we have lost that Jota scored in?

When do you think we've seen that?

This is the first game he's started that we haven't won - and most of those comfortably. And it's notable that it was after he went off the field today that we looked our most vulnerable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Honestly, every minute he has played he doesn't seem up to the level,I was delighted with his signing but I don't think he can make a meaningful

Mad I guess how people can see such totally different things - Over the past 6 weeks or so especially as he's gotten more comfortable, I've really liked his performances. Good covering positions, loads of energy, and nicking in for little interceptions, and really strong progressive passing from deep. More proactive than some DMs I think, especially aggressive on the opponents 1st or 2nd touch (gives away a foul here a bit too often when he harries, which i think is his biggest issue to work on - he's always looking to turn over possession, instead of sometimes just mitigating danger). How quickly he finds a dangerous pass is actually nuts at times, he's brilliant at taking the ball and with his second touch playing a quick ball to an attackers feet, bypassing a few players. I was very much unsure about his signing, but from his Leicester performance in September onwards he's really impressed me.

Don't get me wrong - he's definitely limited in comparison to what I'd hope for in a long term DM (would like more size and speed than either Endo or Mac offer), but for me he's a properly legit option right now, and better than anything we had last season.

Post edited by ~Rebel~ on

• Advertisement

Only 1 win in 5 away games has to be a bit of a concern as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Endo has been absolutely fine of late.

He won't get better as a players, he's at an age wherehe has reached his ceiling. He isn't good enough to be relied on over an extended period and there's no point having him around if that's the case. DM isn't just a system position and it's not simply about learning the position and being good enough. The physical attributes needed to play the position are well beyond what Endo is capable of.

He was grand for this season because it was either him or nothing and I'd still take him over nothing. But we can't be left with Endo at the end of next summer transfer window. That would be a disaster. At the moment I'd have Mac and Bjatic ahead of and they aren't even recognised DM.

He made a brain dead decision to slide in for a tackle when already on a yellow and forced Klopps to sub him off. Why would I not use that as a slight on him? He shouldn't have put the team in that position. The main benefit of having Endo I'm the squad is to give other players a rest.

When Fabinho made his premier league debut we had won 8, drawn two(City and Chelsea) and hadn't lost so I've no idea what exactly those "big problems" were with Henderson and Millner in the midfield given our excellent league form.

Endo himself isn't the problem, but the biggest issue in the team is that our weakest position is DM and it's our biggest priority in January. We'll be in trouble if we are playing Mac there for the full season or we have to rely on Endo instead.

This is one of those 'have to agree to disagree' situations I guess - your description of Endo to me just sounds massively over the top, particularly for a fella who's not actually having bad games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Endo is proven at international level and at a reasonable level in a big league.

I don't agree or see how having someone with his experience on the bench is a negative compared to having some kid with no experience on the offhand his potentially higher ceiling is realized.

We can't have it all.

If bajcetic was fit I'd much prefer to see him get game time. Like I'm much happier Doak and Quansah getting game time rather than signing a couple of 30 year old journeymen to play some of the EL group matches and some fringe cup games. Quansah, Doak et all aren't going to reach their potential by sitting on the bench.

Also, it's not that having Endo in the squad is a negative, it's having Endo as the only recognised DM in the squad is a clear negative. If Endo played the role of Adrian, where there was was an elite DM ahead of him and a decent young DM prospect I'd have no issues with that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

We started the season off great but since that Spurs game we seem to have lost a bit of momentum, performances and results have been patchy since. Was hoping we'd put the EL group to bed last night, losing last night, now means it'll likely drag on until the final group game which isn't ideal. Need to pick it up this weekend against Brentford who are an awkward team to play against.

Kelleher needs a move ( loan or permanent move) to develop and improve. Other than penalties, he doesn't really excel in any other goalkeeper area, definitely would worry if he had to fill in for an extended period. Back up keeper is an area that needs to be strengthened next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

This is the first time I've ever tried to embed a video on this site so hopefully it works but this popped right into my head after reading your post.

Any chance of getting this chanted from the stands??

Anyone still reckon it's just incompetence from the refs? If me and my colleagues made as many blunders as these lot did we would all have been out of jobs years ago. These refereeing performances are utterly unacceptable regardless of whether or not it is incompetence or corruption. VAR is merely a symptom of the problem not the cause of it. Any official who was involved in the Spurs game for example should never ref at the highest level again in his entire career as opposed to being demoted for a few weeks. It's too much of a boys club tho for any of that accountability nonsense, that stuff is just for the likes of you and me...

I'm not even slightly surprised our 3rd goal was disallowed for handball when the rules state it should be allowed, it's something new every few weeks and is par for the course at this stage. These refs should at least be made read a rule book before reffing these games.

Once again. VAR is not the issue. It's the implementation of it.

Whether or not you "deserve" something from a game has no bearing whatsoever on a referee decision or rather should not have any bearing on it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,414 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Sure Captain Pedantic.

Obviously the implication of VAR is part of the issue.

If VAR wasn't implemented I wouldn't have an issue with it.

A more fundamental issue with VAR is the mistaken belief that you can eliminate errors from football.

You can't.

People, and I include everyone from fans to managers, need to accept that refs will make mistakes.

VAR was a lie from the start because introducing more fallible humans into a subjective decision making process does not eliminate errors.

Quite the opposite.

VAR has added nothing positive to football but it has robbed it of so much.

Some of the glaring errors from VAR are indefensible, while some decisions are subjective like regarding penalties, yellow, red cards etc., errors like we saw with our goal against Spurs and the Newcastle goal against Arsenal at the weekend are fairly clear cut decisions which really should have been easy to reach the correct decisions on both occasions. Our goal against Spurs should obviously have stood and Newcastle's goal against Arsenal should have been ruled out for a very obvious push in the back. Every week there seems to be at least one shockingly poor decision made by VAR.

• Advertisement

Well when a decision can be subjective you will never be right in everyone's eyes regardless of the decision so you are correct there of course. But you should be able to eliminate all glaring errors like the ones we have suffered already this season.

I'm not sure I can argue your second point tho tbh. I don't even celebrate goals anymore, it's just more cautious optimism that we may have scored a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

You can guarantee that if VAR was scrapped, you'd have tons of people going crazy online when a linesman makes the wrong offside call against your team.

People have short memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I wonder what people actually want with VAR? They can keep the goal line and offside VAR as they are, supposedly, black and white decisions. The ball did or did not cross the line - the player is either offside or not. But the offsides calls are the ones taking time, usually when it comes to a red referral you have a players writhing on the ground and getting treatment so you don't waste time looking at those.

If they get rid of the process of checking for red cards and goals/penalties then, as you say, people have short memories. The first goal that shouldn't have stood due to something obviously missed in an important match that has big consequences and you will have the talking heads that are now calling for its removal shouting that this should not be allowed to happen with so much on the line. A obvious missed red card where the player goes on to score the winner in a final against United (I know...unlikely where they are now) and the likes of Neville and Ferdinand would be apoplectic on just getting it right as it changed the match. Or an obvious missed handball in the box where the player stopped the ball with his hand deliberately from either going in or going to a players in a better position and the pitchforks will be out for assistance to help the referees.

I think they need to re-think how it is used. If they want the referee on the field to make the decision, instead of the "clear an obvious error" ask the referee to check if he is happy with his call as he does not have the angles the VAR has or the time to make the decision and it is something he may have missed. That does not mean someone else is re-refereeing the match as the decision is made by the person on the field instead of some guy in the VAR studio.

I am just thinking now about rugby and the VAR and how people are saying it can work in rugby because it is stop start and you have these breaks. But in rugby you get a "check-check" call if the VAR needs the referee to check something urgently and the game stops. Football does not do this as the game is stop-start with fouls or the ball going out so no need to do this. I have only really seen one team playing with the ball for 2-3 minutes when a penalty should have been awarded and that was City. All other matches you had a break quite quickly to make the check, so people will need to rethink whether football is really this flowing match for 90 minutes. It is just as stop start as other sports like rugby. Players are going down for "injuries" to break momentum all the time so fans and ex-players need to get off their high horse about how wonderful football is compared to other sports when it is more similar than they want to admit.

As for the enjoyment of it, I hate losing but I really hate with a passion when we lose due to a bad call or missed call and would like the calls to be correct rather than have to think about what-ifs if the referee just was in a different position or the linesman did not flag incorrectly for offside. This taking the enjoyment from football is rubbish, I am much happier knowing some of the chance has been taken out of the result because VAR is there. At the moment we are sitting with referee's who are struggling with the laws (remember this is IFAB and FIFA making these laws) as they are not written for VAR. But at the same time the handball law has been a mess for years. When is it and isn't handball has been debated for years before VAR came in so the law is the problem and the thinking heads, the UK nations and FIFA, will need to sort it out. Good luck with that...

Small rant over....

For me the biggest thing VAR has done in expose the fact that most referrees don't actually have a deep knowledge on the rules of the game. And before, you didn't really need to as refs never had to explain their decision or where held accountable. They're could often be the "he just didn't see it" excuse. VAR now exposes them all to having to make a decision.

VAR is a good idea, it's just being really poorly implemented by incompetent people.

VVD will be 33 with a year left on his contract next summer. What would ye do? Give him a new contract or sell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

He'll be offered a new deal and I'd imagine it'll be two years but that's only if he indicates he wants to stay. If he says he wants to move on then I'd say he'll leave on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

VVD is one of those CBs you could see still playing at a good level at 34, even 35. He's a good reader of the game and that'll help his longevity. Basically, he isn't Harry Maguire.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The vast majority of CB's are not Harry Maguire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I wouldn't get rid of VVD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

Sell Trent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

No need, just play him wide right. Either as a Wing back or Winger. Dock his pay every time he doesn't come off the pitch with a white painted right boot.

Has there been any update on Gravenberch? One or two talking on twitter that he has his ACL done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

That Solanke lad is doing alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Second weekend we have the opportunity to take advantage of those around us dropping points.

Hope we make this count.

It's a funny olde league, United have lost 5 games already, conceded 16 goals, only scored 13, and are 6 pts from the top, and 3 pts behind Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

With games in hand for us and City so it could be 9 points from Top and hopefully 6 points off us

The manager getting slaughtered in the media week in week out is leading the charge.

• Advertisement

Yea, hopefully Chelsea have a good day tomorrow, and Liverpool win

Advertisement