Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

I don’t use them that often but I’ve seen anything from 76kW up to 130kW on 150kW chargers.

The high figure was after 2 hours driving and starting from 10%. The low one was at the start of a journey, starting from 50% and with the other charging point in use.

The power drops off as the battery ‘fills up’

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

My id3 first has lost online connectivity on we connect. It seems that it has to have software level 3.0, which I'm not getting until January. Is there going to be a regular charge for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭coward

The initial online services last for 3 years. Sounds like your car has passed that 3 year period and the app now has no functionality. Until your car has software 3.2, you do not have access to the shop where you will download We Connect and We Connect Plus. Initial install of We Connect Plus will extend your online services for another 3 years.

The "We Connect" app has no expiry. Their website says it offers this functionality: "..include the Vehicle Service, Vehicle Status and last Parking Position. Using your smartphone and Volkswagen app on the move, you can do things like check whether your ID. is charged and the doors are locked."

The "We Connect Plus" app, which 3.2 gives you initially 3 years of service, offers: "include smart navigation services with information available almost in real time, such as online traffic information and charging stations. Using your smartphone and Volkswagen app as a remote control, you can manage useful vehicle functions, such as starting and stopping charging sessions and setting departure times and your preferred temperature. Enjoy the best entertainment on the move with Internet Radio."

Their website says "Once you have registered for "We Connect Plus for the ID. family", mobile online services will be available in your ID. for two years." Mine shows 3 years, but I imagine, yes, we will have to pay for We Connect Plus after that. But at least the basic "We Connect" app will offer some level of functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭rx8

On the fast charger speeds, I've had over 100kw at the Ionity with my old ID3, startingfrom 10-15% when arriving. The same one at Kill North has given me 160kw lately in the Model Y. Also starting from a pretty low state of charge and the battery was preconditioned beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭CoBo55

How do you precondition the battery? Does ordinary driving not do that automatically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭fits

I’ve seen 135 kw charging rate on our Id.3 in France.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Slightly off topic, apologies - but has anyone managed to charge their car on an Aldi station? Shell NewMotion. No luck, even have the shell membership card, plugsurfing card also, no luck with either... Its supposed to be free I thought? Doesnt work regardless, tried two different stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

you have to download and register with Shell recharge app. It’s not free 0.41/kwh

The Model Y will precondition the battery as it is navigating to the charger meaning optimum charging speed when you arrive there. Other vehicles also do this, but I don't think there's anything as good at it as Tesla's.

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Day 36 trying to get timed charging working and a fully functional 3.2 update …

Never mind the very clever preconditioning, the Y will also update outside your gaff…

But to give VW credit, they are trying to get it sorted and both times supplied a zero miles, brand new Born. that has to commended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Have that alright, and the card. No luck with the app, as mentioned tried 2 different chargers. Tapping with the card, just plugging and navigating to the app, scanning the QR on the unit itself etc... not sure. Maybe the various order or what I was doing was wrong.

Ok, so the car needs to know you're heading for a specific charger and it gets everything ready, good to know thanks, I've only DC charged once since buying the car, it was at ionity Gorey and the speed was only about 35-40Kw. I'll set it up better the next time I intend DC charging. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭warrior00

I could be wrong as they may have changed it but in the past with Tesla's you could only precondition the battery if you were going to a Tesla supercharger.

It definitely preconditioned as I was heading to the Ionity a few weeks ago on mine. I just selected it from the menu, the one with the lightning bolts, in the navigation and it started doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Just to be clear, the ID.3 doesn’t precondition even if you navigate to a charge point.

I think it’s expected in v4 of the software.

The only heating of the battery the IDs do is to heat the battery to 13C when the battery drops to 0C. You need the battery over 20C to get max charge rate.

So, how do you get the battery temperature over 20°? Tis like pulling teeth here...

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

• Registered Users Posts: 11,986 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I assume this means fast motorway driving. Which heats up the battery.

You can't force it. It has to happen naturally at the moment on the ID.3 as they have not implemented battery pre-conditioning in the software... yet.

So, the battery will get to 20°C by the ambient temp, driving it, rapid charging it. There is no "push button" way to make it happen which is why we often get people on here saying they got poor charging rates with others saying they got 100kW+.

I always get 100kW+ when I plug in, but its always after a long drive (2hrs+).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,143 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

We have the VW app set to recharge to 80%, the car seems to have charged to 91% , is there something obvious?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Do you have "Locations" setup?

It can be confusing as there are multiple places that you can set the charge limit..... Departure Times and Settings

we only charge at home and its set to 2am-4am to tie in with our cheap rate , we rarely plug it in every evening so wouldnt have hit the 80% very often , we have the app on 2 phones but im sure my wife wouldnt have changed the 80% setting

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

But do you have locations setup?

What version is the car on?

I dont see that setting on the App or is it in an option in the car, we only have the software up to the point where you have to bring it in, I thought they would do it when the car was in for a service but they didnt and cant book it in until they make more slots available, i thought everyone they sold to should be updated by now

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭electricus

Every so often I see the same. I set it to 80 then notice that it has changed to 100% when charging starts.

I tried deleting locations, etc. and battery care is on. but it still happens, seemingly at random.

If you are on old software the timers are hit and miss as to whether they work.

If you want it to be reliable you need to get up to v3.2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

I have 3.2, it works but the charge to % (0-50) and then top up to (50-100) thing at times never works always just goes straight to max level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

Driving today, so got in car, showing temp of 9C, and happened to notice the comsumption /100km on the spike to almost 60kwh/100km! wow was kinda shocked.

Noticed the little trips (<5km) two of those a day morning and evening in temps <10C really eat the battery. 50% easily gone after 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭hold my beer

It really annoys me that the ID3 only has one speaker. It sounds shite for music

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Were you in traffic with heating on? I get really high consumption numbers doing that. Can be well up in the 30s and 40s if I'm in traffic straight away. Normally settles in the 20s by the end of my 12km commute.

But used to get very high in the ICE too. If you're not moving your battery is still emptying just like a fuel tank.

Advertisement