Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

24th for us too.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just saw a Christmas tree up while out for a walk. Too early for me, personally. We'll wait till mid December 🙂 My 1 year old is going to have a great time pulling decorations off it and crawling under it so I'm not in any rush to put it up 😆

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭A cup of te

Nowadays we'd aim for around 8th Dec but we used to put them up only a few days before Christmas and we leave them up till Jan 6th. That breaks my heart the way people take everything down on St Stephen's Day now and almost brag about it. The shops also seem to start stocking the shelves full of diet stuff the day after as well. I am a nostalgic person anyway but I used to love how everyone seemed to keep the spirit going and the next big thing was New Year's and then there was the January sales and I remember the shops playing Christmas music still even on Jan 5th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Went to the play off final in tallaght last night between the blues and cork. Thankfully the blues won but I couldn't help but notice two of three Christmas trees/house decorations done around there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭matchthis

I worked in a retail electronics store before and the last thing we did Christmas Eve, is take down the decorations and put up sale signs. Such a buzz kill going home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What a night for the Blues

I'll be raising a glass or 2 over the festive period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Well this is all a bit bizarre - Boots are using the Smyths Toys music from a few years ago in their Christmas ad this year - I'm Gonna Get There Somehow by Val Doonican! 😅

Well done to our Waterford contingent! Glad ye managed to finally win a playoff. Looking forward to going back to the RSC next year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

We are all under the weather here so been in doors most of the weekend I haven’t seen any decorations yet, roast in the oven cooking away with roasties, roasted carrots, cabbage, mash followed by Black Forest with cream probably a hot whisky too

Picked up lovely gifts online kids pjs from H&M, a couple of bits for friends, stocking fillers for my little one she is princess mad at the moment so princess gloves with matching crown, gloves

We enjoyed reading Adams cloud books the weekend (Irish author) we received them as gifts for her 1st Christmas she is really appreciating them now (2.5 years) if anyone is stuck for gift ideas beautiful stories and illustrations (even Santa and Rudolph are in 1 of them)

1 of my friends has everything in and wrapped, I think her Christmas goodies are in too

I have no Christmas goodies in yet I really want to pick up the terrys chocolate mint for my OH stocking I didn’t see them on Dunnes online,

Have a good Sunday guys it seems to have brightened up in north county Dublin it was awful at 7 am this morning I thought that rain was down for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

First of the neighbours have their tree up! And it's the same one who has it first up every year, I don't think they get on with next door because there's will def be up by tomorrow evening, happens every year 😄

Got a huge amount of presents boxed off today, feeling the pinch financially though.

Same

Going to be a lot of financial pressure this year for lots

Having to stick 4 new tyre on the car tomorrow, wrong time of the year for that kind of layout.

Is the Banba Toymaster the king of the franchise ?

Why I ask is that I had to order some stuff from the branch because the local Smyths don't do the items

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Saw 2 more trees up this evening so that's 3 so far in my estate.

We cracked in to a box of Tunnocks tea cakes this evening...I've eaten 9...somebody take them away 🤣🤣

On a serious note, stay safe tomorrow all 🤞🏼

Had that and new brake pads and disks front and rear last week, sod all change from 2k!! Timing was 'unfortunate' to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Puddings cooked and we have both trees ups. Even being a Christmas nut it seems too early however after sitting down with the OH and planning our weekends between now and the big day it was the only weekend free.

End of year parties have kicked off and I have partaken too much, I feel quite rough.

Post edited by Jude13 on

• Advertisement

Sweet Jeebus you don't need that at any time! If my old Honda needed 2K spent on it, serious consideration would be going into getting rid of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

House deep cleaned yesterday and the decorations will go up on Saturday

Good work Kitten_K, we were only saying yesterday that once we both et over this dose we're both struggling with we have the deep clean to look forward to before we decorate, plan was for Friday 24th to decorate which really only leaves us next weekend to get stuck in... not looking forward to that I can tell you!

@kitten_k fair play good work

Any pics yet @Jude13 ?

I’m like you @DvB we are all a little under the weather at home so doing jobs in dribs and drabs. Another job now added to the list I am going to have to get a handyman to make me a new wooden planter for my front garden storm Debi has just blew it apart

I need to stock up on batteries for all the decorations any recommendations? I bought Duracell last year some I had to bring back to power city they didnt work,

It’s tough going doing the decorations how long does it take most? It ran quite smoothly last year for us I am hoping for the same experience this year 🥴

I hope everyone doing ok throughout the storm x

Home for the day for us

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭A cup of te

Ugh, I had to put about 1k into my car (that's worth about 800euro) this year to get it through the nct and I still need 2 new front tyres! It's cheaper than getting a new car though. I've seriously got to get an upgrade next year before the next NCT. My head is done in having to go there every year for the last 6 years!

Re batteries, I actually bought a load from Dealz last year, just the Kodak ones and they were fine but I remember the Tesco own brand seemed to waste quickly. I never had problems with Duracell before and generally I think they last longer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Plus one for Duffys here - they are only down the road from us but typically will have things that Smyths don't have. For example, one of the kids has asked for a discontinued Lego set - no sign of it on any of the larger toy shops, Amazon, Lego website etc. Duffys have it TG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I thought you were talking about pubs in Malahide 🤣.

Duffys is a pub and down the road from a pub called Fowlers that was formerly called Smyths

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Even less now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

None yet, as its work in progress.

I bought Toshiba rechargeable batteries last year and it saved a fortune and reduced waste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭tscul32

You can spot the north county residents, I had a hankering for a beer when reading that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭tscul32

Haven't been able to give Christmas much thought in the last couple of weeks. Getting new floors fitted today and the kitchen floor was levelled last week so the house has been upside down.also had another full day lecture on Saturday and an assignment due at the weekend. Throw in a new job and I'm now panicking that Christmas is only weeks away and all I've done is got the advent calendars and Christmas chair covers. Not a cake baked either, which is unusual for me. I need to get my act together.

I am looking for some nice hanging lights for my kitchen doors/window I like the look of these from Aldi this Thursday https://www.aldi.ie/hanging-decoration/p/729749764324500 or can anyone recommend similar

I always leave it too late have been on the look out for a few years

When did it stop being called Smyths?

Lived in Kinsealy over 20 years ago and worked in Malahide almost 30 years ago.

Watching love actually with the family, think we've watched it too many times now though, we're taking turns reading out the script 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

For the 10 years I've been drinking it's always been Fowlers, looks like Smyths was sold in 2009.

Some price at €7m, especially for 2009.

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/herald/smyths-pub-sells-for-7m-despite-crisis/27909894.html

Hope everyone wasn't too badly affected by the storm and school/transport disruption earlier.

We picked up our ginger biscuits in Ikea the other day. For some reason our 11yo felt we needed two tins of them so I reckon we'll still be wading through them by next Easter.

I'm so badly prepared this year. Feck all Christmas presents bought and feck all idea what I even want, let alone what to get the kids and the better half 😨

Bought the first Christmas present yesterday. This is the start of it now. Need to tick something off the list every week now until mid December when I finish it all off.

14 years ago wow. Never heard it's name had been changed, it was always Smyth's, Duffy's and Gibney's, the big 3 pubs in Malahide.

On other nonsense, I just had my first mince pie of the season 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Andrew93

Back to reality after Disneyland over the weekend. What a magical place. Really amped up the beginning of the run in for me seeing the place light up for Christmas.

Decorations going up this weekend! Hope everyone had a great weekend and stayed safe yesterday during the storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

Trying to decide whether I should give sitting room a good clean this week before we put up the tree next week....it never stays clean with wee monkeys even the skirting boards will have juice spilled over them! :P

I'm half thinking on putting up our tree early next Thursday while wee monkeys are at schools and in creche to surprise them in the evening but the oldest probably would get annoyed at me for not getting him to help but we will have another wee tree on Friday ;)

Story of my life - I keep trying to remember that in a few short years, we won't have lego spilled all over the floor & crumbs all over the settee...but as someone who likes things tidy, it's tough going :P I use the decorations to distract from the mess these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Two sons one late teens one early twenties believe me the crumbs on the sofa don't stop.

Trying to keep on top of housework here too I’m thinking I might get the decorations down this Saturday as mid week won’t work for me, the place does still need a clean after the tree goes up, it’s hard work

where is the time going?

@Andrew93 did you buy any Christmas decorations on your trip ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ah lads are we all in agreement to add another month on the countdown to spread the magic out a bit more.... I'm not ready for it to be Christmas soon!!

I'm at the stage of the season where I am fully booked every weekend between now and Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Andrew93

I bought a couple of tree decorations yes. Not much difference to the Disney ones you can pick up in Penny's, but at least we will know they are from Disneyland!

Yep, busy with stuff for the next 4 weekends. Am going to have to get the tree and decorations done in the evenings during the week. We always give the oven, grill, fridge and freezer a good scrub in the weeks leading up to Christmas also, don't get me wrong they are not walking with dirt the rest of the year 😄

I swept up a heap of leaves on Saturday from the front garden only for the storm to fill it back again by yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I've been looking for something like that for a few years too! They're for my upstairs windows. I'd love a smaller (and cheaper) version of this

Dunnes also have a smaller, battery powered version on a stand, but I love how well lit the wreath is. And I like all my battery lights to be on a timer!

Saw a clip of 'The Strawberry Hall' pub in Dublin and it looks amazing. Sadly in the opposite direction of where i need to be when im up in Dublin next 😔

Winterval starting down here on Friday night, going to be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Currently trying to paint the living room.

There's paint in my hair and on my clothes in Supermacs for a break.

Baked a Christmas cake Today.

Nearly the last day of the forties.

• Advertisement
Advertisement