Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,890 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Thank you I agree, when you are comparing anything moral wise to Saudi Arabia, you are generally clutching.

When people are comparing Israel to Saudi Arabia's Palestinian allies and accusing Israel of war crimes and genocide, they are generally clutching.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

What did the people of Palestine do? There's over 5 million of them. A state is much easier to aggregate like you did with Saudi but even then that doesn't reflect all Saudis, so why the Palestinian people?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Israel Are committing war crimes. They actually are. Every day it seems. Collective punishment, bombing hospitals, forced displacement etc etc. The war crimes have been itemised several times by legal experts and you refuse to accept it. Be honest.

Both sides have committed war crimes. You know this to be true but somehow cannot admit it.

And don't play the not an occupying power card again, that has been thoroughly debunked.

Do I think anyone in Israel will face charges for war crimes ever? Absolutely not! Not in a million years. You win there.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Do you think that it is ok for people in Palestine to accept the ruling of a Hamas court that women cannot travel without the permission of their male guardians? If that was Ireland, we would have protests in the street because the people of Ireland would not accept it. In Palestine, there were no protests at that court ruling.

I don't think people in Ireland truly realise how evil Hamas are and how much support that they have within Palestine. Remember, some of our own political parties have supported Hamas too.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭freebritney

As i mentioned earlier, Saudi Arabia, Yemen or Iran don't pretend to be beacons of democracy and civil rights like Israel does. Israel is arresting it's own citizens within 20 minutes of them posting such inflammatory remarks as "my heart bleeds for the Palestinians". Israel wants the benefits of being a first world nation while still acting like a police state (which is why it kept the back door open to Russia and flouted the sanctions).

I'd also agree on Hamas releasing the civilian hostages. They can then do a prisoner swap with the military prisoners for the 1100 Palestinians held without trial by Israel.

• Advertisement

On a scale of 1 to 10 for human rights, where Saudi Arabia is 10, and Ireland is 1, Israel is about 2.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Nope. Never defended them, just the idea that October the 7th was the end of the ceasefire is bogus when the 4 or so weeks prior so Israel annex more land and than they had done so in the previous 40 years combined. There's no justification for them doing that. None whatsoever. They displaced hundreds of people who had lived and worked there for decades and whose families had gone back a lot further.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,597 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Cool. Good job. How many additional brown kids can Israel murder because you found that wholly relevant article?

Should be good for another 1000? right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

...despite the legalised torture, the imprisonment without trial, the apartheid regime in the occupied territories, the assasinations abroad...?

They can't come under the umbrella of "human rights" if you don't consider the victims to be humans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭brickster69

Colombia to formally press war crime charges against Netanyahu at the ICC this week.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Saudi ARabai is 155th on the Freedom index, israel 67th I think. Ireland is 6th.

The Freedom Index does not take into account what Israel has done to either Gaza or West Bank though. Even leaving Gaza aside, West Bank is essentially a police state, cameras absolutely everywhere, checkpoints everywhere.

United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs recorded the following:

Key Facts

• In early 2023, OCHA documented 565 movement obstacles in the West Bank, including East Jerusalem and excluding H2. These include 49 checkpoints constantly staffed by Israeli forces or private security companies, 139 occasionally staffed checkpoints, 304 roadblocks, earth-mounds and road gates, and 73 earth walls, road barriers and trenches.
    • Additionally, 80 obstacles, including 28 constantly staffed checkpoints, segregate part of the Israeli-controlled area of Hebron (H2) from the remainder of the city; many checkpoints are fortified with metal detectors, surveillance cameras and face recognition technology, and with facilities for detention and interrogation.
    • Combined, there are 645 physical obstacles, an increase of about 8% compared with the 593 obstacles recorded in the previous OCHA closure survey in January-February 2020.
    • Specifically, the number of occasionally staffed checkpoints has increased by 35% and that of road gates by 8%. While these remain open most of the time, they can be closed at any moment. In 2022 there were 1,032 instances (or 293 days) where nonpermanent checkpoints were staffed across the West Bank.
    • Over half of the obstacles (339 out of 645) have been assessed by OCHA to have a severe impact on Palestinians by preventing or restricting access and movement to main roads, urban centres, services, and agricultural areas.
    • In 2022, Israeli forces also deployed an average of four ad hoc 'flying' checkpoints each week along West Bank roads.
    • In addition, the 712 kilometre-long Israeli Barrier (65% of which is built) runs mostly inside the West Bank. Most Palestinian farmers with land isolated by the Barrier can access their groves through 69 gates; however, most of the time, the Israeli authorities keep these gates shut.
    • Palestinians holding West Bank IDs require permits from the Israeli authorities to enter East Jerusalem through three designated checkpoints, except for men over 55 and women over 50.
    • In 2022, 15% of permit applications by West Bank patients seeking care in East Jerusalem or Israeli health facilities and 20% of permit applications for their companions were not approved by the time of the scheduled appointment. Also in 2022, 93% of ambulance transfers to East Jerusalem were delayed due to the 'back-to-back' procedure, where patients are transferred from a Palestinian to an Israeli-licensed ambulance at checkpoints due to restrictions imposed by Israeli authorities.
    • Access to 20% of the West Bank is prohibited by Israeli military order on the grounds that the area is designated as a 'firing zone' for military training, or as a border buffer zone.
    • Palestinians' access to the about 10% of the West Bank lying within the municipal boundaries of Israeli settlements, is also prohibited by military order; many farmers can only reach their private land within or around settlements twice a year at most, subject to approval from Israeli authorities.

The Freedom index would be a damn sight lower if it bother taking their treatment of Palestinians into account

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

Algeria, South Africa, Turkey also considering doing likewise.

- Camille Paglia

Israel doesn't care about the UN and never has.

Fun fact, during the second world war a Swedish diplomat negotiated the release of over 30k prisoners (including Jews) from German concentration camps.

After the war, he was appointed as the first UN mediator for the conflict between Israel and the surrounding Arab nations.

He was assassinated by Israel. One of the men that ordered his assassination later became PM of Israel.

2 on the scale if your Israeli, 10 if you happen to be a Palestinian. How about my prisoner exchange idea? Your all for the hostages being released surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

He wasn't assassinated by Israel. Sadly he was assassinated by Stern gang goons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

As you may well know Blanch, I very rarely agree with the Shinners....... but I heard earlier that MaryLou has called for Israel to be tried before the International Criminal Court. https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/1111/1415924-sf-ardfheis/

And I and I dare say a great many Irish people would agree with her. At least she has the balls to call it for what it is.

Better start reading the room more closely?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,829 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Then, what the IDF has done is mass murder so?

• Advertisement

Similar to how Russia did not have anything at all to do with the killing all those Ukrainians that were murdered by the Wagner group..................as I mentioned, it just so happened that the person who ordered the murder was to later become PM of Israel..........one of your "goons" at the top of their State.

Your zionist buddies also assassinated a member of Dublin's Guinness family a few years earlier. Shot him to bits at his residence in Cairo. He was actually a British minister of state at the time.

Will Israel release its civilian hostages also?

Bibi isn’t mass murdering children for Women’s Rights.

Stop with all those facts, the antisemite accusations will be coming soon..

It's mad though to think that you could be someone who managed to save many jews from almost certain death during the second world war, then be appointed to mediate to try to find a peaceful solution to the problem caused by trying to grant them a homeland where they think their sky fairy said they can live, and the Israelis just decide to murder you because maybe they feel you might be a bit too fair on the other side.

I pointed out that the current Home Secretary in the UK has a husband who lived in Israel and "is a proud Zionist and has close family serving in the IDF". I mentioned that her demonisation of the Pro-Palestine marches and clear incitement would in any other world be considered bias. I was told she was a cnut most of the time and I only pointed out the glaring conflict of interest because he was Jewish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

You're not stereotyping, now, are you? We are all aware of the type of control Hamas have so protesting against them isn't quite the same as here.

What exactly are you suggesting? That all Palestinians are inherently draconian or evil or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

They won't be overly bothered. I posted earlier about them posting articles and headlines that the casual observer glancing at it would come away thinking that any trouble was associated with the Free Palestine march.

The standard posted an image of the Ceasefire march with text referring to trouble at the Cenotaph. They didn't clarify the two things weren't connected.

The Daily Mail posted a headline that said, Trouble with police as people descend on capital for marches for Palestine.

Rishi Sunak's press release this evening did the same thing, equated the troublesome elements associated with both marches as being comparable even though the Far right march was where the trouble occurred.

They're old hats at this, they're not going to let little things like objectivity impact the narrative they've already written.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's a 2 in relation to it's own Jewish citizens. (They don't permit same sex marriages within the country)

It's probably an 8 or 9 in relation to how it treats Palestinians or Arabs living in Israel.

Or were you discounting these elements in your determination?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,645 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I sense though that they, the Tories and Israel supporters are losing the PR battle (and know full well they are losing it). Very little active support for Israel out there, apart from the usual right wing crank commentators, and indications that public sympathy is very largely with the Palestinians. It's rumoured that even many Tory MPs are unhappy with Sunak and Braverman's pro-Israel posturing.

Advertisement