Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

The Russians have natural resources to sell, but critically they had a European market to sell to and delivery infrastructure geared specifically to go that way. Much of Europe is now restricted or closed entirely to them, leaving them to sell to other nations who know that they can get away with paying the Russians bottom-dollar for their wares, with the additional pain / cost of not having optimal delivery methods.

They have to resort to the grey market for parts, but there again the suppliers know that Moscow can’t go around shopping for better deals. They can fleece the Russians and offer them sub-par / crap equipment for their trouble. That’s not a great situation to find yourself in when your army are up against high-standard NATO kit operated by an opponent who has essentially all of Western Europe to its back supplying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,439 ✭✭✭jmreire

According to Gorbachev the Chernobyl explosion in 1986 marked the beginning of the end of the USSR, but what buried it was the war in Afghanistan, which as you mentioned was helped along by the space and arms race instigated by the US. Todays Russia is surviving, but that's about it. The Country was on the brink of collapse about 2 mths ago because the oil was all being sold abroad, ( higher prices for the Oligarchs ) leaving the home market starved, ( literally, no fuel available to collect harvests ) It got so bad that Putin had to sign a special decree banning all external oil sales, and now in 2-3 week's, they plan on lifting some ( but not all) parts of the ban to start the cash pipeline up again, even if it will be limited. That shows just how desperate Putin ( and Russia in general is ) Not so much a grey economy, more a desperate one. But even when the ban is lifted, shipping is the most expensive for of delivery plus, the buyers will demand ( and get) the lowest possible price. Russia is not in a good place any way you look at it. In any other civilized society, such government could not exist. But that's the whole problem with Russia, its a mafia dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,145 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I just see the Russian economy adapting and muddling through, its better to view the war on the assumption that russia is a strong opponent and judge Ukraine's chances based on what is in their domain, weapons available and men. I guess one of the worst assumptions to make in global politics is to assume people around the world think like your average yank or European taxpayer. Afghanistan has thought all the powers and they dont think like westerners and that their concerns are not in the same order, Russians dont either by all accounts

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Economics101

Are things going to get tought for Russian aviation, including civil aviation?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can't remember if it was shared here or read it elsewhere but I'm increasingly agreeing with the thinning Putin wants and needs this war to indefinitely continue: cos the economy is in such a shambles the moment the guns stop firing people will release their lot has plummeted thanks to this conflict. Just asks the further question if the charnel house of Ukraine can be kept going longer than the economy can survive Zimbabwe level of collapse

IIRC they already simply kept the leased airliners they should have lost due to sanctions, so I'd say things were already pretty dire as those modern jets might only keep flying for a time before parts and maintenance was needed - but with no option for access.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It seems South Korea is now supplying a the largest amount of artillery to Ukraine, nothing in the article is new we've known for a good while the EU and the states wouldn't make the commitment of 1 million shells for this year, next year the promise is 3 million shells .

According to this article they need 500,000 shells per month which i hope is a typo ,at this rate it's going to be the 2030s before production catches up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,879 ✭✭✭✭josip

So has the war in Ukraine then become a proxy war between North and South Korea?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭junkyarddog

"We no longer have to pretend to be good"

Who knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

Reports that Russia had moved 8000 troops towards the pocket above Avdiivka who are now taking heavy losses. And there's another 40,000 further back in reserve which Russia may be prepared to use.

Looks like they're willing to take Bakhmut level losses to take this town. Wouldn't it be magnificent if it never materialises and Russia take massive losses for no gains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭m2_browning

We are all just waiting for Elon Musk to condemn North Korea prolonging this war of theirs needlessly now

What sort of quantity is SK planning to supply in 24? google refuses to tell me and insists on telling me about NK lol , I saw a 23 article about 1/2 million shell to the US to appease their conscious of supplying Ukraine directly `but no period indicated of the timeframe of it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

The article you posted however is still horsesh**t as it implies putin can take advantage of mineral wealth to build some success in Ukraine when he has destroyed the fighting machine that you think he can continue to feed into a meat grinder without consequences. In world war two soviet russia had millions of Ukrainians to fight on their side and vast resources shipped into their country from the west to help them fight off invasion from hitler and it still cost them millions of people dead to finish that war. They have continued to fight regular wars since then and lost vast numbers of additional young people to currently stand as the largest land area country in the world with just 9 people per square kilometer with its close neighbour Finland having almost double this number. I posted something about the past which was one days losses of putin's forces in Ukraine and the reason for that is that the past can be used to predict the future and those figures I posted look very similar to the following days losses that I post below. My point is that each day putin sends his war machine into so much destruction the chances of his country using any of their vast natural resources for anything positive dwindle. Even if putin could keep manufacturing shells that they need to keep occupying Ukraine they may not have sufficient artillery pieces left to fire them when Ukraine does see a chance to drive them out of their country. I fail to understand how you can't see the logic of my response.

my starting point is that all information in a war is distorted , as I dont speak Russian i cant vouch anything they say and Ukrainian information is bound to be exaggerated so unless you have losses and potential replacements that the Russians and Americans agree on, I just assume they have a certain flexibility to ration out what they have. If the Russians are weaker than the Ukrainians then eventually the lines will crack in their direction.

But you fully believe the horsesh**t article you posted yesterday about alleged ammunition production data which is always going to be made public knowledge in 100% accuracy because telling your enemy what weapons you can and cannot produce is such a logical thing to do?

My general view is that articles written in Time, The Economist, WP etc that contain criticisms of Ukraine at least have a chance of being true as these establishment publications wouldnt allow their writers to essentially put out Russian propaganda. a logical assumption I hope?

the flip of that , was that during the Summer offensive, all the articles about Ukraine likely to make it to the Sea of Asov, I could take a view of whether they passed the smell test because there was likely to be a narrative/disinformation element to it. As it was it was clear to me it was going nowhere after about 2 weeks, I might have said so back the way at the time, to which the easiest response was "youre wrong", while getting a feverish amount of likes, luckily this site is so tedious to search back so I cant be arsed to look for updates ;-)

You have taken Zalushnis article in economist where he simply outlines in 5 clearly articulated points the main issues faced by both Russia and Ukraine and shows he is looking for a tech solution (something that is an alien concept for Russia)

And ran with that to confirm your belief that Russia will win this Three Day War of theirs because the “Russia is Big” meme dictates that Russia has endless resources weapons and manpower, blah blah

Despite almost two years now of Ukraine systematically and repeatedly disproving this meme as wrong (much to the annoyance of the publications you quoted who before the war fell for same Russia Big meme)

What I took from Zalushnys article is that he is an incredible theoretician and military strategist is capable of learning from mistakes that is thinking several steps in advance

All while Russians are repeatedly making same mistake in Avdiivka (where they lost more men and equipment in couple of weeks than Ukraine done taking much larger territories since summer) by sending a wave after wave of men and equipment to get shredded into paste

Perhaps you can learn from Zalushniy and admit to and a learn from your mistakes and failed assumptions?

Speaking of Russians not learning here’s an NSFW drone video of fields of them and their equipment dead and they just keep making exact same attacks

I hope their death for the Glorious Benefit of Dear Leader Putin was worth it

"I could take a view of whether they passed the smell test because there was likely to be a narrative/disinformation element to it."

Not sure what you mean by smell test but it is clear from the media that is coming from putin's side in this war that he makes very little effort to be believable and is more aiming to spread distrust and confusion across all media sources. Cherry picking the articles you post to just include one that gives a glint of positivity in the outlook for putin's forces in Ukraine speaks volumes of what you would like to see happen in the war there. putin won't even call his invasion of Ukraine a war.

I personally did not have any set expectations of the forces of Ukraine in their efforts to free themselves from putin's aggression and all evidence I have seen points to them making huge progress in destroying russia as a military force. It made sense for them to try break the land bridge to Crimea that puin's forces had established by reaching the sea of Azov, but it was known to be well defended and I see the talk of a beach party in Crimea last summer by Ukraine as more likely to be an effort to draw more of putin's forces into range to be liquidated. Look at the media outcry last week when putin's forces were shown to have actually hit a military target and kill 19 Ukrainian troops and contrast that with the regular updates of much larger numbers of moskovytes and their equipment being eliminated.

Thats Shredding with a capital "S". Strange, at one point it shows 2 parallel lines of white dots while around them are literally hundreds of the same white dots randomly spaced? Most likely Cluster munitions, after the tanks were shelled with something heavier. What a sheer waste of human life and resources. Putin may your nightmares cause you an agonizing death, the same kind that you caused so many people during your miserable life.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Putin may your nightmares cause you an agonizing death, the same kind that you caused so many people during your miserable life.

We can be sure Putin will die in bed, as it has often been the case with tyrants. The problem is a now wounded but prideful army may yet be a potentially tragic catalyst for a new nationalist movement. Russia is gonna be a huge conflagration that could impact a half dozen countries when Putin croaks and I'd be delighted to be proven otherwise; the army will be full of embittered officers who felt "the politicians" betrayed the country.

Unfortunately, you are most likely right about Putin dying in bed surrounded by doctors and nurses, unlike Joe Stalin who died alone on the floor, in very messy circumstances. Over time he had executed all of his doctors, so there was no one available willing to attend him when the time came. The Guards had to wait until his daughter arrived and went into his room and found him. But one can live in hope.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

is this real?

I'll have to google this little pub quiz question.

I believe so; he was so feared, his guards didn't risk disturbing Stalin when they heard something in his bedroom so left him alone, to die. The film Death of Stalin goes into the insanity of the post Stalin days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Rawr

That was a hard watch, but I felt like I had to. I do feel sorry for the mobniks that are getting mowed down like this. That’s not to say I don’t blame the AFU for having to do it, or that or that they are wrong for fighting back (which they must).

But I do feel that many of the Russian dead are also victims. Although it might have been an AFU shell or bullet that killed them, it was ultimately Putin who made certain that they died. Many of them don't want to be there, I suspect many also realise to their own horror that they are destined to be cannon fodder, and live out their find days in terror. Forced into battle by a side that will shoot them for retreating and against a foe who are motivated to shoot anyone in thier uniform. I want the Russians to lose, but I also pity those mobniks who probably didn’t want any of this.

I wonder if one day we’ll see a repeat of De-Stalinisation. A sort of De-Putinisation of Russia. That man has personally destroyed countless families across Russia. I wonder if they will try to forget him (and likely fail)

I suspect they will instead proudly celebrate the self harm on Russia that Putin has unleashed

Probably rename St Petersburg as Putingrad or something

the smell test in relation to the Summer offensive was , I could see the Russian defences, their blanket use of mines, the fact they had drone and other coverage of the battlefield, the battlefield itsself was frighteningly flat and exposed, no airforce, so while the Ukranians had the advantage of attacking anywhere along a 1000km front while the Russians had to man everywhere, 2 weeks in Ukr hadnt cracked the defenses, at that stage everyone's cards were on the table, it was clear to me it wanst going anywhere yet the pro offensive articles continued for a couple of months but being subject to more and more criticism

Obviously the full story wont come out for 10 years as to who knew what and what the Americans and the West were dictating to Kyiv, I am prejudiced that the yanks see Ukrainians as dispensable so would have wanted the Ukrainians to attack against their wishes, the alternative to the summer offensive would have been to replicate the russians by building their own lines and make it very painful for the russians to advance another inch, keep the Ukr army intact and force a stalemate. Now the 2 potential states appear to be, stalemate or a war of attrition which the Russians by virtue of their size are more likely to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I think you may be getting some stuff wrong in 2nd para above.

I am not sure, but don't believe an identical strategy to Russia could be implemented, even if that were best. Western countries would not have the landmines to give Ukraine. They have never really fought that way, and there is a UN Convention against the anti-personnel type landmines, which a lot of Ukraine's backers have signed (even if I don't think the US has?).

It is a bit similar to the cluster bombs IMO, which of course Russia has used freely, even on towns and cities. Many allies of the US have signed the UN Convention against these. US still has large stockpiles, but afair stopped making more even though it did not sign this Convention, maybe because a lot of their allies won't handle, buy or use them any longer.

In any case I think Ukraine believed themselves (still believe) they have the military strength to at least get back some more territory, once they get the tools off their supporters to do so (still waiting I would argue), so why would they set up a strategy of fixed defensive lines etc. to freeze Russia where they are now? Should be borne in mind that there are citizens of their country suffering under Russian occupation in that territory at present. So I expect it is a lot more than a line on a map, or a piece in future discussions with Putin for Ukraine's govt.

I think you may overestimate the level of control over Ukraine's military decisions the US (or West) has + are getting close to Russian govt. line that they are a puppet who will just attack and defend from Russia as and when "master" Uncle Sam says so, which is a load of rubbish IMO. The lever the US have is whether to support them or not, and if so by how much, and what types of support.

“Americans and the West were dictating to Kyiv”

Didn’t take long for the mask to fall

When your starting position is a Russian propaganda conspiracy point and your end conclusion is the debunked “Russia is Big” meme everything must seem red white and blue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Is there any possibility of tunneling under defensive lines for Ukraine or would it be pointless without tanks and heavy infantry

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement