Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

In former player news, it's sad to hear that Andrew Conway has had to retire immediately due to a knee injury, only weeks after his return from an injury that kept him from the pitch for over a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Shame about Conway. He's been one of the best wings we've produced, imo.

I reckon Jager will fill in for whomever retires at the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Think Russell should be ahead of Larmour in the pecking order at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Yeah, I'd be thinking bringing Russell in to start would be the right move. I'd be interested to get a look at Conor O'Tighearnaigh too. And it might be a good opportunity to get McGuire a start.

I'm thinking something along the lines of:

1. Jack Boyle
    2. Lee Barron
    3. Rory McGuire
    4. Joe McCarthy
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Ryan Baird
    7. Scott Penny
    8. James Culhane
    9. Cormac Foley
    10. Harry Byrne
    11. Robert Russell
    12. Jamie Osborne
    13. Jimmy O'Brien
    14. Tommy O'Brien
    15. Ciarán Frawley
    16. Gus McCarthy
    17. Paddy McCarthy
    18. Michael Ala'alatoa
    19. Conor O'Tighearnaigh
    20. Max Deegan
    21. Ben Murphy
    22. Sam Prendergast
    23. Jordan Larmour

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

It's a real shame. He took a long time to really deliver on his talent but he got there in the end. Under Farrell, he was probably playing the best rugby of his career. He appeared to be an incredibly coachable player. When he came on the scene, he was an out and out speedster. He was also seen as something of a liability in other areas of his game.

But you could see the improvements he made in specific areas of his game as he worked with different coaches. His defence came along hugely at Munster. His chasing and rucking went to another level when brought in to the Irish squad to suit Schmidt's game. And his kicking game was at the best level it ever was just before the injuries ruined him. His two 50/22 kicks in Twickenham were things of beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Real freshener of the team it must be said.

Good for Ben Murphy getting his start. Will be nice to play behind that pack with Ross outside him.

Rumours of Clarksons demise still premature but I'd have liked to see McGuire build on some minutes.

Joe Mc and Jenkins in the row must be the biggest second row we've put out in recent years. Compounded by Baird on the blindside

15. Ciarán Frawley (70)

14. Tommy O’Brien (27)

13. Jamie Osborne (33)

12. Charlie Ngatai (18)

11. Jimmy O’Brien (71)

10. Ross Byrne (148)

9. Ben Murphy (5)

1. Jack Boyle (5)

2. Dan Sheehan (46) CAPTAIN

3. Thomas Clarkson (28)

4. Joe McCarthy (19)

5. Jason Jenkins (22)

6. Ryan Baird (54)

7. Will Connors (38)

8. James Culhane (5)

Replacements:

16. Lee Barron (10)

17. Paddy McCarthy (3)

18. Michael Ala’alatoa (49)

19. Max Deegan (101)

20. Scott Penny (59)

21. Cormac Foley (14)

22. Harry Byrne (54)

23. Rob Russell (20)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

If Clarkson can't get it done at scrumtime with that second row behind him, I'll have serious worries about using him as even depth in the future.

I thought the exact same thing tbh.

Either this is a tactic to help him get his mojo back and get the shove on or this is a last chance saloon kinda vibe for him (this is a figure of speech in case people needed clarity)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,173 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Mad that Sheehan still doesn't have 50 caps yet. Feels like he has been around for ages now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Decent looking backrow for the Dragons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I really like that Leinster have put so much faith in their younger players. Three lads in the starting 15 with only 5 caps each. Culhane and Boyle have already come on lots since the opening fixture against Glasgow.

They'll be rotated out if the squad as the test players return, but they've proven to be quality young players who can be trusted to perform.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Sure is. I think people sleep on how big Will Connors actually is too. Leinster bill him as 6'5" which I think is generous but I do believe he's 6'3/6'4 for sure which would make him a taller openside I would say and Culhane is again subject to the famed generous stat inflation of the Leinster site at 113kgs which would make him heavier than Conan and Doris and nearing Gav Coombes ~116kg weight which I don't feel is accurate.

But there's no denying he's a big lad all the same. Especially for having just gone 21

• Subscribers Posts: 41,794 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I can well believe culhane is 113kgs.

He was listed as 110kgs for last springs u20s six Nations, so adding 3 kg since march isn't a big deal.

Plus, the starting pack in the u20s six Nations was heavier than the senior starting pack for their six nations.

There were some very big boys in that pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Decent team. Surprisingly Foley on the bench. But he's still involved. Are we shy a 2nd row? Is Baird going to move into the row to accommodate Deegan.

Clarkson really has no excuse if he's poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Juventu4

Jenkins doesn't do the full 80 so more than likely Baird will move in.

Here's Will with Jack Dunne who was around 6'7/6'8 so can well believe he's near 6'5. Either way Will is a class athlete and a tackling machine. He was first choice 7 for Ireland and Leinster before his injury and VDFs form.

Ugh. I think I can almost start watching rugby again.

Sheehan as captain pulled me in but that meaty as fcuk back 5 would make you want to hang around.

I suspected Sheehan had a bit about him given the amount of media he did quite soon after breaking through. Good to see early recognition through captaincy.

Meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

You wonder what these new players who've been called upon during this period are going to do with themselves when the internationals come back in and there's very restricted gametime for most of them. Of course some things they can go away and work on in training will have been highlighted for them. But in a lot of cases extra gametime is what would benefit them - in the cases of players like Deeny, Jack Boyle, Ben Murphy, and others who didn't even get a look in, like Cosgrave and Brownlee.

Would a full extra set of interpros, playing all the other Provinces home and away during the five 6N weekends and finding one extra weekend somewhere make sense? Could they combine the results with the URC interpros results for a sort of Irish Championship? I know there's this Saracens friendly scheduled, but one game isn't going to make much impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

Brownlee is injured.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Calamity of errors so far

Coach killers everywhere.

Dragons win a turnover at the breakdown then miss touch to kick dead. Leinster win the penalty from the scrum reset.

Then Ross Byrne kicks dead from his penalty.

Then Leinster win the penalty on THAT scrum reset.

This game is a joke

FFS Ross, on paper Leinster by far the better team but with the rain and Sunday afternoon (terrible time to have an away game) we'll get dragged down to their level.

Great chop tackle from McCarthy and turnover from Culhane.

Handling is very poor though. Went from attacking in the Dragons half, to a knock on to Dragons almost scoring a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Culhane had hands on the ground for that one before he snaffled it, thought he got away with one there

Leinster are losing the initial shove in their maul defence, but are recovering very well when it splinters. McCarthy got through the middle and disrupted the first one, then the next maul Connors won the turnover.

I'd take Murphy off at half time. Struggling badly.

• Advertisement

Monstrous strength from McCarthy.

Advertisement