Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It’s an obvious collaboration- men in dresses unite!!

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

Using the world largest paedophile ring and a group of people who believe in the gobbledygook written in the bible and various other religious texts as proof your opinions are right is not quite the win you appear to think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

if its some kind of trans thing then the point is that trans-men are a group that would seem to contain more than average sexual/violence tendencies, for men claiming to be women they dont mimic female criminality profiles. Allowing trans-men into female spaces where society's conventions are that men arent allowed will crack the average person's logic circuits.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Hark back a few pages to when they were desribed as "harmless" by a poster who, by comparison, found the idea of trans-issue forming part of a social studies syllabus in secondary school terrifying...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Religious teachings in most schools because they are done by the teachers themselves generally are relatively harmless (having been to a catholic school myself) , the organisation as a whole isn't.

I'd still prefer they had nothing to do with the education system in any way and the government could fix that if they wanted to.

It's just interesting that poster seems to like the catholic church now that they agree with him, he'd despise them in almost every other circumstance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Shoog

Crack away.

The point is, we don't treat everyone as implicit criminals so why should we single out a grouping without evidence of risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

The poster was referring to the fact that other posters would classify this as "woke", something they would never be accused of as an org.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I wouldn't call them woke though, just good people

The point been made is that it's not all about virtue signalling as the anti-woke often claim. It's about acting out your conscience.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You think the Catholic church are "good people"

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

The average person’s logic circuits will be fine, as most people just don’t have to deal with that scenario.

My own logic circuits are a bit frazzled after you made the point about violence in lesbian relationships, and then go on to make a point about men not mimicking female criminality profiles!

Both perpetrator profiles are significantly understudied, for various reasons, but in contrast to Shoog’s suggestion that women should be wary of men, as though there is something inherently specific to men which means they’re more prone to be violent towards women, well, as more studies are being conducted in the area, it’s turning out that women are just as capable as men of committing violence and sexual abuse of other women and children of both sexes -

Overcoming the social taboo of FCSO is obligatory, especially in the light of the harsh consequences for victims of FCSO. Moving beyond traditional gender stereotypes seems to be necessary to get over the confusion that women considered so far as caregivers, guardians, and defenders are able to be just as sexually abusive to children as men.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6463078/

Actually I've seen articles on the internet saying "is the church going woke" , so some people would class churches as having gone woke.

Also the church has often times over the history adopted whatever the trendy cause was in order to help it survive.

Post edited by Jack Daw on

Ahh there’s a lot of background to that announcement ACD but it’s basically announced with the intent of exerting Rome’s authority over Bishops in the US who take a more hardline approach to what they perceive as more liberal ideas. For the Bishop who actually asked the questions, it doesn’t really change anything, good luck finding a person in Brazil who is transgender who isn’t baptised in the Catholic faith already! The other 30% or so, and gaining momentum, are Evangelicals, so there’s a bit of attempting to appeal to Catholics who feel like Rome doesn’t represent them, to bring them back into the fold so to speak.

Catholics aren’t mandated to adhere to the Bible in any case, but Evangelicals are; they’re both denominations of Christianity, but I get what you mean about à la cartism at the same time - Enoch springs to mind, even though Wilson’s school take a different view.

I used trans-men instead of trans-women, it gets difficult having to keep 2 concepts simultaneously in one's head while typing, my point was that the average person doesnt "really" think trans-women are women and they would be correct as seen in the stats that trans-women (ie biological men) dont mimic female behaviour and societal tradition is not to let wolves in the henhouse .The concept that women were safer to look after children unobserved was an assumption, but seeing headlines over the years, this isnt necessarily true either and is a dangerous assumption when childcare is largely outsourced to strangers.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

So you just undermined your own position that we should treat trans-women as a special exceptional case.

But here's the context regarding the actual risk. It's been legally acceptable for an Irish trans-women to use a women's bathroom and changing room for around a decade. How many incidents of sexual abuse has this led to. How many court cases have been generated ?

Understudied doesn't necessarily imply underrepresented in the crime statistics. There is little evidence of an equality of abuse between the sexes. The wave of date rape and spiking of females in social situations isn't been perpetrated by women.

I think a lot of hysteria been generated by the right in their attacks on trans people Is based on the idea that trans is not real and people are pretending to be trans to put themselves into positions where they can be sexually abusive. There is no evidence for this.

not really, whatever the levels, a trans-woman will be more dangerous to other women than a statistically average female., for example girls arient likely to sexually abuse each other in school toilets and changing rooms but it would be madness to let mentally ill prone men to share their spaces in schools or even adult settings. the same way you might agree that mentally ill individuals shouldnt have access to firearms, its just Math! as the americans say

Its quite a leap to suggest that trans-men are mentally ill. It's also not acceptable for any adult to use a pupils toilet in a school.

• Advertisement

Yeah I got that much, personally I don’t imagine the average person gives it all that much thought, but you’re arguing that men are more violent so it stands to reason that they should be excluded from being around women, but then taking offence to the idea of men being a threat to women simply by virtue of being men, and it would be dangerous assume women can’t be just as dangerous even though they don’t exhibit the same levels of criminal behaviour as men!

It’s basically the sort of circular logic that argues we shouldn’t make assumptions that men are violent, they just need to be kept away from women. Valerie Solanas had some curious ideas about that, not to keep women In henhouses mind, but simply to eliminate men from society altogether -

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCUM_Manifesto

What you’re basically arguing for is Feminism on steroids.

to clarify , not adults in a school setting, adults in an adult setting. Do I even have to check that trans individuals have more diagnosable conditions than the average population and unusual offending rates in certian types of criminal behaviour?

I have never ever said that men are implicitly dangerous to be around and should be somehow segregated. My whole point has been to make blanket prohibitions based on gender would inevitably lead to such an outcome given the crime statistics as they are.

Not what I advocate and not what I suggested. What it's all about is the disengenious nature of the arguments based on risk coming from anti-trans activists

Given the situation that most trans people have existed in (hiding, abuse,rejection) it's not surprising they have higher rates of mental illness such as depression and suicidation. Does that mean they are a risk to you - no.

in coed schools for example you would then be arguing for shared showering and toilet facilities , thats my scope of female spaces, not that women should be kept away from the "male gaze" did I do feminism good with that term?

Generally those mental health conditions are depression and anxiety which is pretty standard in discriminated groups. Want to extend the same logic to all LGBT people? Do you want to just classify anyone with depression and anxiety as potential dangers? Cause that's the logical progression of the thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

As all species evolve weaknesses,traits and disabilities shouldn't be passed on but in this case they are. Humans developed compassion which in turn means those afflicted with the above aren't excluded and left to die off .

There is a good video about why we still have left handed people in the human race.

Erm, anxiety or depression most likely aren't evolutionary disadvantages. They would have provided preparedness in tribal scenarios and can very much still be considered beneficial in moderation.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We're still talking about pushing ideologies in the classroom - there's a very inconsistent approach to that.

I also find it odd that you describe the organisation as 'not harmless', but their presence in the classroom mildly annoying and ultimately tolerable.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

I wasn't talking about anxiety and depression though.

Nobody can be happy all of the time anyway.

Inherent weaknesses and disabilities of various types is my post

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement