Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting kittens out for first time advice needed

Options
  • 11-11-2023 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Goose81

Hi,

Was hoping for some advice or help.

Background - I have 2 kittens, male and female they are siblings and are around 7 months old, both are rescue cats that as new borns may have been outside but for the last 6 months (4 of which have been with me) they have never been outside bar before they were fostered. Both are neutered and microchipped.

I want to let them outside, I watched some YouTube videos which suggested bringing them out before feeding them in the morning and stay with them in the back garden and then bring them in and they will come in for food and to do this for a few weeks to get them used to their surroundings and to find their way back.

I brought them both out this morning and unfortunately it is very easy for them to get into the garden of the house next door with just a hedge in between which is derelict and has no side gate, so they can get straight out onto the road. It's a cul de sac so not a main road or anything but still out of my view and there is cars.

The girl didn't venture too far but the boy got out into the front road and I had to coax him with food and grab him to get him back in.

As a first time cat owner I don't know what to do now, I cant control where they go for the first few weeks like was suggested from videos I watched, unless I put leads on them or something .

They are both going to easily get out of my back garden and onto the road at front of the house so I literally just have to let them go and hope they come back without them getting used to their surroundings or being able to monitor them at all.

I think she will come back but the boy it's a coin toss, I might never see him again I think.

What do I do here, do I just let them out and hope they come back..

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bestcat

We used to bring our cat out on a lead for the first few weeks. It let her get to know the area and associate it with us. Once we started letting her off without the lead she knew where her home was and she would always return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭thebiglad

Been there quite a few times and it never gets any easier! Yes, don't feed them till after they come back and try to spend time in your own garden with them so they get used to that - I take your point on all the escape routes so it will be challenging, especially with 2 to watch. If you can keep them in the garden, try short spells - 10-15 minutes and give them treats when back in.

Believe it or not, they will not venture far at first, probably just the neighboring gardens. You could try putting them into harness and take them out back on a lead a few times - some cats will accept that.

Just make sure they are microchipped and have colours with their names and your number on in case they do get trapped in someone else's garden. Let the neighbours know.

You can get trackers for them (Tractive - €45 and subscription €12 per month) if you really want to be sure.

It seems counter intuitive but they will come back - every time I have gone through it with a new cat I feel the same, but it works out - I have 3 outdoor cats now, the youngest has been going out for about a year, the middle cat goes out early when the cat flap releases, comes back for breakfast and then I don't see her again till its dark, 1st time over the fence she was gone 4 hours, I thought she was lost!! My other 2 tend to go out no longer than an hour at a time, although 1 will do the hour, come home, and out again within minutes for another hour, the other will have a sleep and then go again - you'll learn their routines - they are all different.

Last suggestion, let them out early in the day so that if they do go wandering (as unlikely as it is) you have daylight and 'warm' conditions to track them rather than over night. When they have been out a few times let them out at different times so that they get used to different conditions and noises etc.

Its not easy but trust in the process and just look at the number of cats free roaming - its in their nature!

If you cannot get comfortable to do it, look into getting a catio and keep them as indoor cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's worth noting that free roaming cats live shorter lives and suffer far more injuries. They get hit by cars, in fights with other cats/dogs, pick up ticks and potentially hurt by feral youths. Not to mention they also kill local bird life and annoy neighbours.

I only just had to bring my neighbours cat to the UCD Veterinary clinic a couple of months ago in the middle of the night after it was savaged by a dog. Poor thing didn't make it :(

'its in their nature' could be applied to lots of pets. When I was a kid, local dogs would roam all over the place. As a society we don't allow people to do that anymore.

Don't mean to sound like I'm pontificating, I just think it's worth considering when so many folks think letting cats out is what you are 'meant to do'.

I've two house cats, both 8 now and wouldn't dream of letting them out around the local neighbourhood. I'd be far too worried about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Let your cats out and live a normal cat life. Just do the food thing, especially if you have some special stuff that they like and know you have. Cats have territories which they establish with neighbouring cats, you'd be surprised at how regular they are, particularly tom cats. I've watched ours, they have a tour to do several times a day. And I very rarely, if ever see them beyond that. Tom cats will go further when looking for a mate but don't seem to bother much if neutered. Yes there is some extra risk but once they get past kittenhood, they'll manage it for years. So you let them out and take the risk, as keeping them indoors all the time is unnatural for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭Goose81

I would prefer they die outside than keep them indoors tbh, what sort of life is that for any roaming animal, it's beyond cruelty to keep them indoors and never let them out imo.

• Advertisement

Do you all think I should buy a few leads and keep them in the back garden for a few weeks or just open door and let them go?

I'm a dog person my whole life never had cats so this is hard, one of them clings to me like a baby non stop wanting to be held so very hard to just let them go haha

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

It's not cruel in the slightest and you are just propagating a myth and showing your absolute ignorance when it comes to cats. 'prefer them die outside' - what a monstrous thing to say.

Statistically I'll happily be petting my two for another decade while there's a high probability your kittens won't be around anymore by then and you'll be moving on to the next two to sacrifice to the great outdoors.

Best of luck.

• We’ve a big garden and a cat that is going on 22 years old, who’s always had access to outside. She still goes out, plays as best as she can, considering she’s 102 in human years - she’s a bit slow and arthritic but she’s very clearly enjoying life to the fullest - things just take her a bit longer. She loves pottering around, absolutely knows where home is, comes immediately when called and she’s very safe.

My family had a cat, who I grew up with who was around for at least 18 years and died of old age of a long term heart problem. He also had access to the outside world though a cat flap.

In neither case do/did they have shorter lives and were and are very healthy felines - well looked after and very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

My last cat was 18 when she died (of illness) and was always an outdoor cat.

I have two now, both 2 years old, and when I first started to let them out, it was in my back garden on 15 meter long retractable leads. They could explore the whole garden, but not escape from it. We did this for a few weeks, then eventually had to just bite the bullet and let them out without leads.

Get a dog whistle as well. Blow it, and offer them a treat, each time. They learn really quickly. (Whoever said you can't teach cats is wrong).

Now when mine are outside and I want them to come in, I blow the dog whistle and they're home within minutes.

Should add don't let any of them roam till they are neutered too.

Yes, a lead is a good way to introduce them to outside but, they may not take to a lead at all - I tried that on last one of mine and she just lay on her side when the harness was put on so totally pointless - I know other people for whom the cat takes the harness and lead with no issue. In the end I put a Tractive tracker on her collar till I was sure she was in routine - also interesting to see that she always follows the same routes...

One of my concerns was that the new cat would follow one of the 2 other 'experienced' cats and end up on a long mission away from home, didn't happen, she didn't follow them but made her own routes which initially was exploring neighbours gardens and working her way out 1 garden at a time.

We are surrounded by dogs and, again she learned to avoid those gardens too - they are very adaptable.

A collar with name tag and the other few tips you have picked up from the youtube vids and you can do little more than trust in nature.

Yes, outdoor cats do statistically live less time but, I genuinely believe my cats are happier out, we have fields near to us and all the local cats hang out there. I lost a cat 2 years ago to a car and to this day still miss her and wonder could I have called her in earlier that day, delayed letting her out and would things be different but, she was a wanderer and, keeping her in would have been punishment for her. In the life she had I believe she was happy and when I got another cat I let her out too. My oldest cat is currently 5 years old and has been outside since 6 months. In my lifetime of c.10 cats I have lost only 1 to a car (I live(d) in mid-size housing estate(s)).

I strongly advocate letting cats roam as is their nature but, 100% accept it is not easy to start them off, however many times you go through the process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

3 cats here, 1, 12yo and 2, 6yo, they spend most of the day inside but come 11pm they insist on going outside and are happy to stay out till morning, they never go too far, for if we are out late they are around the house when we come back, we live in a rural area

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I've never worn a seat belt, I've been in three accidents and I'm still alive. Therefore seat belts don't work or save lives. Also it's "unnatural" to wear seat belts.

That is the logic of your argument. It's called survivor bias

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

OP, there is always going to be the 'indoor/outdoor' argument about cats. You decide which you want to do and go with it. If you are of the opinion that they should be let out then do it and don't feel guilty (and vice versa). My last 4 cats have reached 13 (unidentified illness, possibly genetic) 21, 17 and one still going at 18. All indoor/outdoor cats. One (17) was hit by a car but lived to tell the tale and it was not what she died of (kidney disease).

Some good ideas about training with food, I don't recall doing anything special with mine as kittens, they all tended to come home.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

OP, I think considering how long you've had them inside, they know where home is! They know where food and cuddles reside.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

‘Pet safe’ have special collars for dogs and cats. You set where the perimeters are. They work by giving a beeping warning not to approach the perimeter any closer, if they do they get a mild shock.

It sounded cruel when I first heard about it but having spoken to other pet owners they are very effective. In reality the animal learns very quickly about their boundaries and once they approach the warning zone never go further. I owe my dogs lives to the system. They were both knocked down and worried sheep in the past.

Petsafe have cat systems too, it’s not everyone’s cup of tea but it would be worth looking into it and considering if it would be an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,424 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah, the kitten will be fine as long as they have a route back home.

We have a rescue cat who loves playing in the garden. We get a fright when she jumps into the fence only because we're worried she won't be able to get back up if she jumps down on the other side. She knows which side of the fence she lives in and so far has never crossed it. She will soon enough, but by then she'll be old enough to find her way home

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

We have two cats who were rescued from a feral litter, now over four years old who have not been outdoors since they were about six weeks old. They're perfectly happy and healthy. Our previous cat was also an indoor cat from about the age of three till when she was fourteen, and it's probable that the issue which led to her death stemmed from when she was bitten by another cat when she was about two.

I'm not telling the OP what to do, just trying to counter this myth that indoor cats lead miserable lives.

I wouldn't recommend it for someone living in a tiny apartment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭greyday

We built an catio for our two with the window open so they could go out anytime of day, they are siblings and keep each other entertained.

Our previous 2 cats were killed by cars, we won't go through that again and the cats seem happy enough with the set up we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, had 2 cats, now 1. One beautiful one was killed on the road..He'd travel quite a distance despite being neutered. Also he killed loads of birds (and rats and mice). He basically loved to hunt.

So, we miss the cat a lot but I got tired of seeing all kinds of birds getting killed. He was brilliant at catching rats too. Fearless. We still have is brother, who doesn't actively hunt and doesn't wander far.

No point getting expensive collars, trackers ... they'll get lost and stuck in hedges etc ...

These ones, like this from Amazon are great and cheap.

In hindsight a large catio, and occasional free roaming would have been the best option.

Going way off track but, I got cheap breakaway collars and my gang constantly came back without them - we live semi rural and they spend a lot of time in hedgerow.

Now I use ROGZ collars - you can adjust the tension required for the collar to release - they have not lost a collar in months now - ROGZ cost more but, as the collar is carrying name and phone number I want them to stay on as well as be safe if they get snagged in a branch etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Cat A, the hunter, lost collars all the time. Cat B, doesn't really lose any. Those Amazon ones are good above. We write our phone number on them. But, yes that needs to be refreshed now and again. I guess it depends on the cat and the collar. Worth experimenting anyway

Thanks, I will try them. I bought a pair of decent breakaway collars for them but the boy had no time for it and no matter how well fitted (even by the vet when they were in) he had it off in 20 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Just a thought on the collars, get the ones with the "rounded" ear tips, or ones with no tips at all. My vet told me the ones with pointed ears can cause injury when a cat is trying to wriggle out of them.

I use ancol collars - a little bit more expensive, but no tips, and they can't scratch the reflective coating off! Mine are both microchipped, but I wouldn't let them outside without a collar and an identity barrel with my information.

😺

Advertisement