Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

"personally a risk" isnt relevant, i can have societal opinions on any issue whether it affect me or not but as a parent I have a dim view of the promotion of transgenerism in public and on line, its clear it creates lots of false positives and brainwashing

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Shoog

So your argument boils down to a disbelief in the reality of transgenderism, all the rest is justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Ya, also there's also so many elements of these things that people don't fully grasp that might mean there's advantages to societies in different forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭RobbieV

"Eugenicists worldwide believed that they could perfect human beings and eliminate so-called social ills through genetics and heredity. They believed the use of methods such as involuntary sterilization, segregation and social exclusion would rid society of individuals deemed by them to be unfit"

You are accusing me of the above because I said humans (and all species) evolve and weaknesses are left behind?

I assume it was a light hearted jibe. Wasn't it? Surely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That’s exactly what it means though when you have limited sets of data to work with, and the studies into this sort of thing are tiny, with numerous methodological issues. They’re basically unreliable as a means of informing policy decisions. I don’t think there’s any aiming for equality of abuse between the sexes, I’m suggesting that this idea of making broad statements and generalisations about any particular groups behaviour in society is fraught with difficulties and often lacking in context.

For example your statement that date rape and spiking of women in social situations isn’t perpetrated by women? I would suggest that’s an inaccurate assessment informed by your own prejudices rather than statistical data which could be used to provide evidence to support your claim.

Of course it stands to reason that it makes sense if you imagine women would never do that to other women, you’re inclined to believe they wouldn’t. I wouldn’t make that same assumption though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Do you view anyone with depression or anxiety as a potential safety risk? You introduced it to the discussion as such...

if it was kept away from kids I wouldnt really care,for the sake of argument I can accept there are some genuine cases that they feel that way, not that its " a woman trapped in a mans body" thats just silly however I believe kids can be brainwashed into transgenderism by not/mis diagnosing some other mental issue or having abusive parents "transhausen by proxy" I believe is the internet term, so society should protect kids and shut down the likes of TikTok etc.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

That's not evidence based. Most transgender people self identify as children. If you don't accept their personal testimony you really haven't got much useful to contribute to their appropriate care.

The "think of the children" argument is pure projection of a blinkered world view.

I wouldn’t, but that’s because I’m not a fan of coed schools in the first place, for numerous reasons other than just the idea of shared facilities, which do nothing to prevent perverts who are of a mind to do so from gaining access to those spaces, and that’s the point I think you’re missing - you’re conflating the idea of perverts who engage in that sort of activity with men, while at the same time arguing that society makes those assumptions about men. You’re part of that society though, which assumes that men are perverts by virtue of the fact that they’re men, so it doesn’t make sense to then be pulling Shoog up for saying that women should be wary of all men, when you’re contributing to that perception.

• Advertisement

it not that men are perverts per say but teenage boy/girls for example can horny which is why I'd argue for separate facilities in coed schools. I would object to cooed schools being places of consensual sexual activity that such close contact would lead to just as much as abusive non consensual

I'd object to classifying men as a class as "toxic" or all the usual feminist nonsense, in reality the threat of male violence is what holds society together from a tiny % who would abuse their relative strength etc.

..and yet you single out trans-women. Your contradictions must be hard to hold in your head.

Claiming that the statistics show that if there is a threat to women then it is from men, and suggesting that women should be wary of all men, is the same thing as saying that men are implicitly dangerous to be around -

The statistics shows that if there is a threat to women then it is from men. Strip away the trans issue and women should be wary of all men given the very high rates of sexual assault by men.

I am not going to sugar coat it, men show very high levels of general violance and sexual violence in particular.

I dunno what statistics you’re referring to as evidence in support of that claim, but it’s simply not borne out by any credible evaluation.

there are limits to what one accepts off children, because they are children with incomplete developed brains, they get notions and can be easily manipulated either on line or by malign parenting, or interpret one condition as something else. As a society we dont even allow under 18's to get a tattoo.

"thinking of children" while it sounds chiched is such a common thought because its what parent express in various ways, they literally want a society that better for children not one that is worse.

"evidence based" ie social-studies studies is probably the worst type of nonsense that should not be informing public views.

this is a casual posting site im not programming a computer, you are free to ask if I have a contradiction I haven thought off and I might find that interesting, simply imagining one in your head doesnt cut it. I will tend to single out trans women because that is the group with their male brain and potential physical strength + possible mental illnesses that could cause women more problems by virtue of them being able to bypass societal controls that men accept.

When you can demonstrate an evidence base for your fantasy threat please let us know.

All forms of violence are higher in the male population. That's just a simple fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Aye but all that social study stuff is nonsense.

Jaysus.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I'd object to classifying men as a class as "toxic" or all the usual feminist nonsense, in reality the threat of male violence is what holds society together from a tiny % who would abuse their relative strength etc

Feminists call that “The Patriarchy”, it’s still nonsense though 😒

A feminist would describe it differently, where i see it as being a complement. In recent years the "threat of male violence " is being diminished in public life. a lot of videos of a woman for example being attacked in public tends to show most men ignoring it and being unwilling to intervene...winning!

• Advertisement

you know there was a time when doctors thought smoking wasnt dangerous , all backed up by studies funded by the tobacco industry, now we have this trans thing that has come from left field again with a lot of bullying supporters in the more disreputable social studies fields. not a chance I would find any of the sCiEnCe credible

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Conspiracy drivel is not evidence.

Ultimately though, this anti-woke nonsense never comes down to anything more than hatred of anyone who isn't a heterosexual, cis-gendered white man.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

That’s got nothing to do with your original claim though, it’s a new and entirely separate claim. I’m doing as you suggested and stripping out the trans issue, so what you’re left with is this:

The statistics shows that if there is a threat to women then it is from men. Strip away the trans issue and women should be wary of all men given the very high rates of sexual assault by men.

What statistics are you looking at that demonstrates that if there is a threat to women that it is from men, in order to justify your claim that women should be wary of all men? All that’s doing is saying to women that they should be afraid, be very afraid of men.

Using that sort of logic justifies the anti-trans rhetoric, and I’m pretty sure that’s not your intention.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

There is just so much wrong with that post that I don’t know even where to start.

You are clearly very transphobic and are merely using the old chestnut “think of the children” to justify your bigotry that is fueled by complete ignorance.

30 years ago it was us gay men who were perceived by homophobes as a threat to children as many believed that we were all paedophiles - and sadly many still do, privately.

Are you looking at the crime statistics for women who commit criminal offences where their victims are women and girls?

Because that would remove any doubt as to whether it’s just men are a threat to women, or the idea that there is any need for women to be wary of men, when it is only a minority of men who engage in that sort of behaviour. It doesn’t seem reasonable, healthy or helpful to induce fear, anxiety and paranoia in people based on the remote possibility of anyone ever finding themselves in those circumstances. Most women aren’t likely to find themselves behind bars for example, which is a good thing for them:

Female prisoners are much more violent than men in jails, according to Ministry of Justice (MoJ) figures.

The rate of assaults in female jails rose by 21 per cent last year, to 419 per 1,000 women prisoners - the highest since records began more than 20 years ago.

This was 65 per cent higher than the rate in male prisons, where there were 255 assaults per 1,000 inmates. This represented only a marginal rise of 3 per cent on the rate in 2021.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/31/women-prisoners-more-violent-than-male-inmates-moj/

Your running with this one, but please show me where I claimed anything other than a minority of men been the issue. Knock yourself out.

The problem is a women has no way of knowing who is in that minority until it's to late. I think if you asked any women they would agree that they are wary of strange new men for this very reason, and they will take care not to place themselves where such a person could get them alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I don't think the church should be involved in schools but the religious education I received and I went to Catholic primary and secondary schools was mostly harmless.The fact that so few people under the age of 40 are committed Catholics suggested that the religious education in Catholic schools was fairly ineffective in recent decades.I still think the schools should be taken away from the trusteeship of the Church in general.

If you’re claiming that women need to be wary of all men, that’s the very opposite of claiming that only a minority of men are the issue. I’m not running with anything, and I don’t need to go asking women anything either, I’m not claiming they need to be wary of men.

That’s entirely on you… annnd the minority of people who justify their prejudice against people who are transgender by claiming they’re any sort of a threat to women, when just like most people all they’re doing is going about their daily lives like anyone else.

• Advertisement

Keep on spinning what you imagine I said. If a group shows higher levels of dangerous behaviour which can impact you then been wary of them is entirely justified - and sadly that is the reality we live in.

I as a male am extremely wary of going out in certain situations for fear of male violence.

An interesting statistic, males account for 98% of violent homicide crime and 78% of victims of violent homicide crime.

"According to the data given by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, worldwide, 78.7% of homicide victims are men, and in 193 of the 202 listed countries or regions, men were more likely to be killed than women.[citation needed] In two, the ratio was 50:50 (Switzerland and British Virgin Islands), and in the remaining seven – TongaIcelandJapanNew ZealandSouth KoreaLatvia, and Hong Kong – women were slightly more likely to be victims of homicides compared to males.[1] A 2000 global study on homicide by the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime found that men accounted for about 98 percent of all homicide perpetrators worldwide[2] and 79% of the victims (see the chart below). The highest male homicide rate per 100,000 inhabitants was in Honduras and highest female homicide rate per 100,000 inhabitants was in Lesotho."

Wiki.

You seem unable to grasp that a group can have a high incidence of a behaviour without all members displaying that behaviour. It's almost as if you don't want to understand that point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement