Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

you havnt made any point there, You may see some apparent similarities with gay issues of the past but the trans thing is very different as the focus is on youth. the gay movement was clearly adults looking for rights and fair treatment for themselves and generally for the state to leave them alone. You can attempt to deconstruct "think of children" all day along, but that is what adults, mostly parents are supposed to do, "dont think of the children" makes much less sense

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

But we now know smoking is bad for you............

We used to think there was something wrong with gay and trans people.........

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

I find cis-gendered to be offensive, can you respect my non use of pronouns ;-)

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

and maybe in 50 years the trans thing will have been seen as a temporary mania and will view medical interventions on kids who cant possibly consent to have been medical malpractice

• Advertisement

The schools are harmless enough in the last 30 years or so. Not so much before that.

The priest visiting was the boy to watch out for, we just didn't know it at the time. You had to be respectful and do what he said.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Shoog

What a jumble of bollox, gay rights doesn't just start at adulthood since gay children are gay from birth.

To not listen to what a child is saying about themselves regarding their gender is a form of child abuse, not parental concern.

What age do you need to be to receive gender reassignment surgery in Ireland ?

Can you get it as a child ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m not spinning anything I imagine you said. It’s there in black and white earlier in the thread. If you take the position that if a group shows higher levels of dangerous behaviour which can impact you, then being wary of them is entirely justified… then you’re in no position to be critical of anyone who takes that same approach to other people.

That might well be your perception of the reality we live in, but it’s not mine, because I don’t go around preoccupied by the thoughts of by thoughts of other people inflicting violence upon me. I don’t imagine most people do, because they don’t make those same sorts of associations which some people want them to believe about other people.

As I said, I do not and never have advocated treating men as a risk group.

I am simply pointing out that they are by definition a riskyer group since they are responsible for almost all violent and sexual crime.

It's subtle, but if you try hard you'll get it.

• Advertisement

So you'd have been right all along then.

It's Impossible to have any type of discussion with somebody who is just going to ignore any research as nonsense. The idea of research is we change views and opinions when it changes, we don't wait for 50 years in the future for the off chance it was wrong.

That's actually quite a dangerous way of looking at the world.

Shoog you’re about as subtle as a brick 😁

Of course I get your point, which is the same point that anti-<insert whatever group you like here> uses to justify their prejudices against members of that particular target group, by relying on negative stereotypes and coded rhetoric to make their arguments appear altogether reasonable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I work in University research and I've never seen any sort of documentation obliging us to research in any sort of ideological manner. I could be wrong and such documents exist but I think we all know at this point that such documents are a figment of the reactionary imagination.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

I have nothing against males as a group so you inference is I'll founded. You seem to have a bee up your butt that someone would point out that statistically males are far more violent than women. it seems to hurt and offend you in some deeply personal way.

For me it's about accepting the evidence for what it is and working from it. Some males don't even want to acknowledge that toxic masculinity Is real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭nachouser

Some recent figures to put this in perspective.

The inference isn’t ill-founded when the only inference that can be derived from your statement that women should be wary of all men, is that women should be wary of all men, and the statistical evidence you’re relying on to support your point of view is based on the behaviour of a minority of men, ignoring the fact that your statement simply does not apply to the vast majority of men, while claiming that you have nothing against males as a group and you’re only accepting the evidence for what it is and working from it.

You’re working from incomplete evidence which suits your already held position and that appears to be the only evidence you’ll accept, yet other people are somehow in the wrong when they do exactly the same thing as you’re doing. When the flaw in your reasoning is pointed out to you, you’re accusing me of being offended and all the rest of it, which is about the equivalent of anyone claiming people who don’t share their point of view is woke and whatever else. That just amounts to name-calling.

Again repeating that I have implied all men are a threat is simply repeating your lie about what I said. As such there is little more to be said.

This is exactly what you said:

The statistics shows that if there is a threat to women then it is from men. Strip away the trans issue andwomen should be wary of all men given the very high rates of sexual assault by men.

What reason do women have to be wary of all men if it’s only a minority of men who are violent towards women? That’s not me lying about anything, it’s pointing out that you’re cherry-picking and presenting a false narrative in order to suggest that women should be fearful of men. I’m pointing out that your underlying logic is flawed, and it’s the same logic is used by any group to justify their prejudices against another group in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

If you said the same thing about travellers

“ if a group shows high levels of dangerous behaviour which can impact you , then being wary of them is entirely justified “

you would have received a severe warning

the above is an egregious example of woke hypocrisy, of course hypocrisy is the defining characteristic of woke folks

“ toxic masculinity “ is a pseudo intellectual term invented by radical third wave feminists, it’s utterly corrosive and anyone heard using the rotten soundbite should be instantly dismissed as a woke fool or a malevolent ideologue who’s only interested in divisiveness

• Advertisement

Straw men are easy to defeat, because they were designed to be.

Lots of hurt male pride going on here, but that's what it all comes down to really.

Straw men are easy to defeat, because they were designed to be.

No they weren’t, that’s why they’re difficult to spot, and often employed to make a ridiculous argument seem reasonable. And when that doesn’t work, the name-calling gets deployed. Goes something like this:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Except the thing is plenty of teenagers come out in their teens and plenty of the fools protesting sex education books for teens are annoyed by the fact they provide LGBT education. Basically those "anti woke" protesters/thugs would prefer for any LGBT topics to be not be covered before adulthood. As we know, that kind of attitude is discriminatory towards LGBT teens. And it's not limited solely to trans teenagers.

So the anti woke crowd basically have it in for anyone that falls outside of any norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We're still talking ideologies in the classroom - something the poster was originally vehemently opposed to be and then suddenly very toelrant of when it was pointed out to him.

The question still remains: how can it be consistently stated that an organisation with a system of child abuse and cover-ups be regarded as harmless and trusted in the classroom, but a civil movement advocating equality and acceptance are dangerous?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jesus Christ! Do you have an alt right bullshit thesaurus handy or something?

“Radical third wave feminists” - by which you mean feminists of course.

Toxic masculinity isn’t about how men treat women. Toxic masculinity’s main victim is men. Men like you who are terrified by anything that doesn’t fit your heteronormative view of the world. Men who are so caught up in being strong male archetypes they repress feelings and either explode or commit suicide.

You were complaining about the higher rate of suicide among men. Well guess what? Toxic masculinity has a huge part to play in that. Be strong, don’t talk about your feelings, men don’t cry etc.

You care about men? Care about toxic masculinity then.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

do you think its ethical to give medical treatments and surgeries to under 18's for purely trans related complaints?

Tell me this , assuming we agree that the “Gary Cooper type “ was more common sixty years ago?, how come male suicide was much less of a feature in the bad old days?

oh and third wave feminism is a very different beast to what the likes of Germaine Greer and Camille Paglia stood for

Ah FFS, hardly any male suicide years ago.

We'd hardly any cancer deaths 100 years ago either. Wonder why that is?

Its like Fr. Ted. "These are close up Dougal, those are far away".

So suicide has not increased in the past three or four decades?

• Advertisement

Many manly men find themselves out of step with the modern world, they get depressed and committ suicide.

It's their mental attitude which makes them the odd man out.

The world has changed and they haven't. Toxic masculinity is a liability unless you want to be a soldier.

Women no longer value that type of masculinity so they find it more difficult to find partners which further depresses them.

The issues are not with society - but men who are not willing to adapt to a changing society.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement