Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Hey boy

What possible reason(s) would there be for this act?

Anti-seminitism seems like a plausible explanation unless he is allergic to ‘graffiti’.

Post edited by Hey boy on

Have any of the medical staff in any of the interviews been asked directly whether they have seen Hamas in their hospital? It may of course be that they are scared to answer this but I haven’t seen any examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Hamas patients or Hamas heavily armed shooting out the window at Israeli warplanes. It doesn't matter if they have seen Hamas in their hospital.

The protection of hospitals during armed conflicts: What the law says | ICRC

According to international humanitarian law (IHL), health establishments and units, including hospitals, should not be attacked. This protection extends to the wounded and sick as well as to medical staff and means of transport. The rule has few exceptions.

Therefore, specific protection to which hospitals are entitled shall not cease unless they are used by a party to the conflict to commit, outside their humanitarian functions, an "act harmful to the enemy". In case of doubt as to whether medical units of establishments are used to commit an "act harmful to the enemy", they should be presumed not to be so used.

When they are used to interfere directly or indirectly in military operations, and thereby cause harm to the enemy, the rationale for their specific protection is removed.

When they lose their protected status, Israel must warn them of this and provide sufficient time and safety for evacuations. Given Israel are bombing all Gaza hospitals, they aren't bothered about warnings/evacuation.

Protection may, however, cease only after due warning has been given, naming, in all appropriate cases, a reasonable time limit, and after such warning has remained unheeded.

How many Israeli soldiers/pilots have been harmed which led to the constant bombardment of medical facilities over the past few weeks?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,580 ✭✭✭amandstu

My first thought is that some people see those stickers as Zionist propaganda,as in "where are all the stickers of Gazan babies?"

You would have to ask them(not that necessarily you would get a truthful answer.)

AntI Jewish sentiment is as sick as anti Arab sentiment but we have many more Arabs than Jews in Europe and so I suppose in the intimidation stakes the Arabs have the upper hand(my feeling;could be wrong)

Is this going to turn into "my racism is better than your racism"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

It would appear that there is a lot of evidence that Hamas have a base or possibly their HQ under the hospital.

Gun battles with militants all around the hospital, why there?

Hamas not allowing civilians to leave the hospital via the safe corridor as presumably they want to keep them as human shields.

Hamas desperate to keep IDF away from this hospital in particular, why this one?

We know Hamas has "accidentally" struck hospitals with rockets before (c. 500 people killed in one strike) but would Hamas deliberately hit the hospital to try to stop Israel from uncovering it's base? They've done worse. Hamas PR is clearly very effective on some people.

Imagine putting a terrorist HQ under a hospital!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

Have you read the Quran? I've started reading it after researching it last week and I have to say it's not what I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

IDF again confirmed they are not targeting hospitals and most of them are videoed now plus drones etc. How do we know it is not Hamas rockets hitting the hospitals again?

Remember last time they blew up a hospital and killed some 500 people and tried to blame it on Israel, and it turned out to be a Hamas rocket?

One thing is clear, Hamas are pulling out all the stops to keep IDF out of this hospital, there most be more than just facemasks downstairs in this hospital.

Cluedo

I can’t quote you for some reason. Some posters were asking for evidence if whether Hamas has tunnels etc under the hospital. It occurred to me that the medical staff would presumably have some idea, that is, if they are not prevented and/or scared to say so.

I take it from your answer you’re not aware of anyone asking this as a direct question to medical staff at the hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,830 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Babykiller Netanyahu on CNN

His opening salvo: "twenty 9/11s!" GTFO

Wants to make the same War on Terror mistakes, 20 times over. "it's not our war: it's your war!" TM

Collective responsibility sought for Collective Punishment.

He wants 20+ Fallujahs and thousands more dead children. These numbers are 'minimized'

Hitler this, savages that, the most passionate point in his interview was him saying "maximize terrorist casualties" he has a bloodthirst, he seems to think it will help him politically (or he's criminally insane)

When pressed repeatedly about his 'united Israel' position, 'we've never been more united' etc. he ducked dipped and dodged when asked about Israelis who wish him to acknowledge his accountability re: October 7th, the rise of Hamas etc. under his tenure, it undermines his entire premise that Israel is united and he seems to basically admit that he knows he's fucked here, but rather than step down and let someone who isn't insane in charge, and face accountability, he soldiers on like he's got unanimity. Delusional man, and this interview teased it out by mostly just letting him talk himself into corners and insincere meanderings.

Post edited by Overheal on

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Jimi H

This Norwegian physician Dr Mads Gilbert has been working in Al Shifa hospital for 16 years and he has seen no evidence. Interview here

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CzeLgAloLgx/?igshid=YTJ6NjNsbWZtdm1q

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,603 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

"lot of evidence" == Israel keep repeating the same unsubstantiated crap over and over

.......and their bots are actively retweeting and posting it all over the place

• Registered Users Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭circadian

The creases on the spine, crumpled pages. That's a well read book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://open.spotify.com/episode/1GlkSgM7fZ6n8mFeNcwLHC?si=OV1RQbKbTI2CwG08Q0tn7g

Good synopsis from a progressive Israeli scholar on the history of Israeli state and the distinction between Zionism and Judaism.

Long term this is likely to get worse; Palestinian population is growing along with limitless resources from Iran and Qatar.

The Israeli population is growing to; it's the stand out country among western countries (and indeed everywhere else beyond sub Saharan Africa) with more than 2.0 births per adult female(the required replacement rate).

It's the demographics of the Israeli growth with Haredi Jews (not exactly the captains of industry types or Nobel prize winners) with the huge growth rate, circa 6.6. By 2050 half of Israeli children will be ultra orthodox born.

Neither of this is good for economic growth or a more balanced political spectrum.

Combined with the wing nuts setting up illegal settlements in West Bank ( itself a huge financial and military strain on the state) the long term future has a lot of worrying components in terms of figuring out a peaceful solution.

With a less secular Israeli population in the future and extremists in Gaza, both convinced of their divine right to the Holy Land this only gets worse in the long term.

The violence on both sides will silence moderates or those talking of peace.

Hope I'm wrong

What are you on about? Most of the hospitals have been bombed. Link to iDF saying they have not bombed hospitals? That's a fairly nonsense post given the debate to date.

Destroying Gaza's medical facilities and hospitals is 100% collective punishement too.

United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA)

Since the start of hostilities, 14 out of 35 hospitals with inpatient capacities have stopped functioning and 51 (71 per cent) of all primary care facilities across Gaza (72) have shut down due to damage or lack of fuel. Out of the 102 attacks on health recorded by the World Health Organization (WHO), 83 were in the Gaza and North Gaza governates.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There are still radical Christians out there who are busying themselves trying to force people to live lives to the letter of the bible. Ultra conservative types.

Christianity has not really reformed at all, there have just been loads of different branches of it now with different interpretations

Thank you. I thought it was odd that I hadn’t seen any of that. We will see what is produced in due course by the IDF no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is built on the premise that war is mandatory. Who says that that is the case? Seriously?

Peace in Ireland came about because of the commitment to stop killing. Peace in Europe came about when countries said lets join together and solve things diplomatically with a focus on our shared or overlapping goals.

This acceptance that war is always necessary or going to happen does nothing only lead to death, destruction and delayed prosperity for everyone involved.

It's incredible, over 4 weeks in to the conflict the lack of irrefutable evidence Israel has been able to produce to support its claims of Hamas infiltrations to the levels they have been claiming so much.

Like, no video footage of hamas fighters prior to attacks, no believable evidence of tunnel structures beneath hospitals (CGI doesn't count). I'm not saying Hamas doesn't exist. Of course it does.

But 4 weeks in, there should be a hell of a lot more evidence for Israel to use rather than the nonsense they are coming out with such as the supposed copy of Mein Kampf taken from a childs bedroom.

This is an interview of the former US ambassador to Israel, David Friedman, on Aljazeera yesterday.

Guarantee none of us have seen an interview anything remotely close to it on most widely watched television news channels most of us watch.

The former ambassador makes one clear point that he has no time for the UN, he flat out says it.

Also, when the argument starts getting away from him, he tries what some on here have tried, and plays the holocaust denier and antisemitism cards. He tried this on the right interviewer though as Lamont Hill called him out on it immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭Odhinn

• Registered Users Posts: 18,648 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I mentioned yesterday it's a bit shocking just how hardline and radicalised these pro-Israel supporters sound. They are very much at the extreme end of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Same one that celebrated the 9/11 attack and is banned from entering Gaza. A politician from the Norwegian Red party, which once supported the Taliban attacking Norwegian soldiers. Pass.

Send the IDF a note and ask them to speed things up? So, someone other than Hamas perpetrated the attacks (despite all the footage showing Hamas fighters attacking, from their own cameras?)

"Gaza was very like pre-WWII concentration camps until October. People there were leaving it to work in Israel etc. Now it's like the WWII places of execution we know the concentration camps to have been, because the genocide has begun."

Uhh, no. It isn't like WWII death camps. Not even slightly.

Maybe read my posts a few times to see nowhere did I imply Hamas didn't carry out the attacks.

This lack of evidence of Hamas infrastructure within Gaza (which is what I was referring to) is similar to the absence of WMD in the weeks/months after the start of the second Gulf war.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

This is just one of many reports of attacks on the Al Shifa hospital… now patients are Hamas too??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,518 ✭✭✭jmreire

No, but I've lived in Islamic Country's for 20+ odd years. ( Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan, Syria ect. ) And I've had the good fortune to meet some of the best people ever, and yes they were Muslims. On the down side, I've met some of the worst people in the world, who were also Muslims. They had one thing in common, though the Quran. And as my Wahhabi friend explained, everything is contained in the Quran, so people will take the parts they are drawn to. There's two parts in the Quran, what was written in the early stages by Mohammad when he was in Mecca, and a minority voice starting out and are called the " peaceful verses". ( interesting read " The Satanic Verses," by Salman Rushdie from that time) and the 2nd part was written in Medina, where Mohammads teaching took on a more forceful, violent tone. ( by then he had a army backing him) Its largely from these verses that Wahhabi's, ISIS, Taliban etc. take the justification for the atrocities they commit. But you will find it interesting no doubt, and would be good if you took the time to post an occasional update? But in case this might not suit the thread, feel free to PM me if you like, as I'd be interested in your take.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

It's not done for that at all. Have you seen the ochrs report on the west bank and on how incredibly limited the movement of Palestinians is because of Israeli intervention

Now imagine that by many factors in Gaza.

They shot dead children playing on beach a few years ago from boats a little off the Gaza coast.

They built an iron wall around Gaza, control their airspace and basically patrol their coast and don't allow them use it.

If it's not a concentration camp, it's no more than an open air prison

Concentration camps existed before the Holocaust. They were not created to solely target Jewish people. They've existed since, and we are in effect seeing one in action in Gaza

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 23,453 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Advertisement