Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well they have to go defend the Cenotaph by attacking the Cenotaph 🙄

You would miss the good old days when all people had to worry about was what colour flower Jeremy Corbyn was wearing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The pro-Palestine march was never intended to go anywhere near the Cenotaph. Any excuse to get drunk and cause mayhem I suppose... I still remember one of them urinating on murdered PC Keith Palmer's memorial.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And the Palestine crowds are supposed hate matches? God the stink of hypocrisy alone would drive a man crazy. I'm sure the right wing rags will downplay - Christ maybe even justify with GB News and the ilk - the thugs as mere patriots or a minority.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

BBC News front page:

Only mention of any police operation is in relation to the pro-Palestine protest. Not a peep about the far right causing havoc.

From The Guardian:

Outbreaks of disorder marred Armistice Day as hundreds of football fans and members of the far right gathered by the Cenotaph on Whitehall.

A number of them explicitly stated that they had come because of the home secretary Suella Braverman’s comments over pro-Palestinian “hate marches” and that police treated them unfavourably compared with “politically correct minority groups”.

The former leader of the English Defence League Tommy Robinson was among a number of far-right figures present.

In the buildup to the two-minute silence elements of the crowd broke down metal gates to get closer to the Cenotaph.

Later, dozens of those present could be seen – some holding Israeli flags – attempting to reach the pro-Palestine march with the Met’s Territorial Support Group intercepting them.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I'm disappointed, I would have thought that someone like you would know why this is! 😏

It's been all over most of the press and Sky News but the BBC cannot let their paymasters down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Things not going to plan for Braverman and the Daily Mail. Robinson and his mates are the ones behaving disgracefully at the Cenotaph whilst the Palestinian "hate" march is going off very peacefully.

I never said that I didn't know why. Why are you pretending that I did?

The police are being very restrained too. If it was the other way round Tory MPs would be calling for water cannons and rubber bullets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Won't stop them from trying though: there obviously is a narrative that needs to be peddled here and the right wing cohort will be ignored or downplayed by those wishing to continue the fiction. There's an increasingly distasteful course being taken in the UK when it comes to peaceful protest. Changed laws and the hardline reaction to the Republic protests and now this. I wonder if Alan Moore is surprised his most famous work might slowly come to be.

So far the Met have announced 82 arrests from the "couple of hundred" counter protests.

And a handful from the 300,000 Palestine/anti war protesters.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

And of course even after today's disgraceful scenes which are 100% the fault of cruella, Sunak will still fence sit about taking any action against her, he couldn't decide how to tear himself out of a wet paper bag if his life depended on it.

We're now into both sides territory:

The Palestine march had nothing to do with the Cenotaph and was never going to go by or even near it. It's purely culture war stoking for the PM and Home Secretary to suggest otherwise. They're now feigning ignorance.

What a sordid affair on what should be a solemn occasion.

Michael Gove is some creep. Walked through Victoria Station on a Saturday evening, knowing full well there were thousands of Palestinian supporters in the environs and that he would get a negative reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Met 1 Suella 0

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Interesting article in the Independent.co.uk….

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/suella-braverman-rishi-sunak-tory-leader-b2445686.html

“Professor Tim Bale of Queen Mary University of London has analysed the ideological make-up of the parliamentary Tory party under a range of scenarios, and found that it doesn’t matter how many seats the Tories lose, the balance of MPs who supported different candidates remains about the same.”

So basically, Braverman has no chance of getting enough MPs to back her in a leadership race. Meaning all her hate-mongering bullshit is for nothing.

How dare those Palestinian protesters march for an end to war on Armistice Day.

Totally against the spirit of the occasion and ending war is not what Armistice Day is supposed to be about.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Very noticeable that the British media are trying to turn the situation in Gaza into a "culture war" issue (as are the Tory Govt). This seems really dangerous and reckless - we're having similar furious debates about the war in Ireland of course, but in general the media here are behaving a lot more responsibly.

I've never been at ease with the increasing politicisation of the poppy and remembrance day but yesterday was an abject disgrace. If it'd happened under Blair, Brown or Cameron, there'd be an inquiry and Braverman would never have been anywhere near a ministerial post.

Hopefully, the police can catch up to as many of these people as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

They've all been identified and name in replies to that tweet, doubt they are enjoying their Sundays.

It baffled me somewhat there are still those who, in 2023 UK, would shout about being born in "this country"? In London? Just how seriously thick are these particular idiots?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Especially whilst wearing their chosen teams jersey!

There is another video going around of the crowd at the Cenotaph screams "where's your fuking poppy ?" over and over at the police because the poppy has now become a sign of your Englishness.

And it is Englishness because there are loads of videos of the crowd with English flags squealing "Engerland". They probably don't even understand the make up of the country they are "defending" or just don't care about the "subject nations"

For a lighter take on the poppy nonsense I highly recommend the X page "Mascots Minute Silence"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It has been hijacked for quite a while now.

Braverman has just found a way to use the out of control jingoism and little Englander bigotry. Farage did it before her.

I'm well aware thanks to personal experience. Really went into overdrive during Brexit and Corbyn's Labour leadership.

I was on my old bosses "list of enemies" around that time for not wearing one behind the bar. The pub before that one we were taking a bolliking for not having them on sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Like many a right winger before them, Sunak and Braverman, are shocked, absolutely shocked that their inflammatory rhetoric has lead to violence.

Poppy Fascism is so absolute I do despair more public personalities can't or won't refuse to wear it. It does speak to how completely engrained it has become though. I seem to remember Jon Snow getting into bother for a white poppy? While Derry footballer James McClean curried repeated abuse for refusing to wear those tacky football shirts with embroidered poppies on them.

Snow won't wear one and said it's absolutely absurd that he needed to release a statement explaining why.

It's simply that he doesn't wear any of the many many charity pins he is sent every week. But that's not good enough for the thugs, twitter knuckle draggers and the "lest we forget" virtue signallers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,383 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

What gets me about the Lest We Forget brigade is how selective they are in what they choose not to forget.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement