Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

externally cladding a house with OSB??

Options
  • 10-11-2023 7:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭

(I'm keeping an eye on some of the builds and refurbs going on in my area

especially interested in external insulation and methods etc. (not in the game just interested)

one that made me sit up and wonder recently...these fellas sheeting the entire externals of a typical 50's house with what seems to be 18"osb??

like I know osb quite well and I'd be fairly aware of it in normal use situations...so I'm watching this with wonder thinking wtf are they up to?

next thing I see slabs of external insulation going up and AHA! now I kinda see what's afoot. but at same time I've not see this before. I did my own 18 years back but the slabs of insulation went straight on block during the build (still works great no issues btw)

is this some new clever way? or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭hydrus21

If they are mechanical fixing OSB to the exterior wall and then mechanical fixing the slab to the OSB then i dont see any cost saving between

using OSB or bonding the slab directly to the wall.

In any case, the dew point wants to be well away from the OSB.

IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What was the finish if the house prior? It pebbledash it would be quite uneven. Could be to provide a level substrate

• Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It's most likely not OSB. But more than likely Steico or steico like product which is a wood derived insulation product.

I used it when I tore out my aluminium porch and replaced with a framed walled porch.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭martco

nah I'm 200% definite it was OSB not Steico, it was OSB3 to be precise

now the gaff is pebbledashed alrite so maybe that's the ultimate reasoning tho sounds expensive the price of stuff at moment jasus. would the walls be that uneven? I'm wondering too about an airgap there tho maybe that's a good thing (I'm thinking about how the insulation would be sitting atop the dash and there would be a few mm of a breather gap therefore all over)

but I would have thought risky letting OSB sit near potential moisture for prolonged period like lifetime of a gaff? like I've seen myself it does stand up well for brief exposure to wet but...maybe you could seal any cut edges I suppose, dunno

just never seen anything like it just an unusual thing to do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

Ewi on osb on pebbledash makes zero sense to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭listermint

None of this makes sense tbh. None.

Unless someone hasn't a clue what they are doing. Which could be the case.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,523 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users Posts: 39,300 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Figured there would be pebbledash. The air gap, or series of air gaps, are detrimental to the performance of the insulation. Known as thermal looping or thermal bypass. Insulation works best with direct contact.

Just insulation on OSB on pebbledash, completely agree. Thermal Loop still exists. Gap needs to be filled.

There would have to be a major mitigating factor to no simply just base coat it. I hope not simply a special on expanding foam

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

OP: first post

with what seems to be 18"osb??

Post 5

nah I'm 200% definite it was OSB not Steico, it was OSB3 to be precise

which raises the question why the need for the first post

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭martco

LOL because it was just such a surprise to see what I was seeing in such an application I suppose :)

(but thanks for your in-depth analysis of my posting there, how did I score? does my explanation satisfy your line of enquiry? ffs)

• Advertisement
Advertisement