Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Will Hansen be back? Thought he was out for 5-6 weeks. That’d leave him a doubt for SA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,530 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Connacht were very poor for the restarts

Might be time to let Carty go - too many mistakes and poor goal kicking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Only caught the end of the match, but Carty's kicking really was poor in the 2nd half. Some abysmal clearances and that kick out on the full in open play was a shocker. Would've liked to have seen the reverse angle for the scrum that Edinburgh won, seemed very likely the LH was driving across given how it splintered.

Post edited by AbusesToilets on

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

He needs to be taken off kicking duty immediately.

In the space of 6 minutes in the second half today, he missed a relatively easy conversion, missed touch with a penalty, and then put the ball out on the full.

He's not good enough. I doubt any professional team, bar Connacht would start him, yet he's our top ever points scorer.

Apart from one good season in 2018/2019, he's added no value to the team

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Tough day at the office Jack, back at it and turn it around. I thought he was playing pretty well in general play up to that sequence but it won't be an easy review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

We're stuck with Carty sadly. He has a decent money deal signed till 2025. That was a poor decision in all honesty from Ruane and higher ups that we'll have to live with.

JJ is definitely the better option now. Even Hawkshaw to me offers more than Carty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

To be fair, I think Carty had a good game up to that missed conversion. His problem seems to be that he can't just make one error and move on. It's always a few errors together which makes it so much worse.

I'm not making excuses for those errors, but he did play well up to that point. So frustrating though - I think he needs to be taken off kicking duty entirely. There are enough other kickers in the squad that there surely must be someone better on the pitch at any point, e.g. JJ, Forde, Hawkshaw. Carty seems to be getting more unreliable from the boot. It's a shame, but you can't ignore it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Poor result but after trailing and in hindsight when looking at both teams and who we were missing, a LBP might not be the worst. Imperative we get at least 1 win in SA now though.

Anyway, I've seen nothing about Porch's injury? With the towel covering my immediate thought was some kind of bad burn? But with him sucking on the gas it must have been worse. Other thing I was thinking was maybe knee dislocation? Again another bizarre decision to punish him for that collision.

And who did Schoeman throw the swing at before half time? Read it on Twitter but missed it in real time.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭kita99

Agree about Porch's penalty was wrong. He only went to the ball in the air. And I think that Schoeman deserved red card. Very dangerous. That ref maybe didn't World Cup final. The scrum penalty by Illo was hard luck. It was one of poor decision by that welsh ref.

I wonder that Prendergast was not selected as one of the squads of RWC. He is now the best no8 or flanker in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Connacht would have taken that beforehand but will be sickened given how the game panned out.

Carty just isn't reliable whatsoever. You can hav a solid 70mins but if you completely collapse for the other 10 minutes which ultimately results in key scores for the opposition, your place should be in jeopardy. His errors were listed above but I'd add him dropping a kick unchallenged and failing to get outside of his 22 with a clearing kick. All in 10 minutes. It was a collapse.

JJH looked every bit as good in attack at outhalf in the closing stages and build up to the Prendergast try. Surely Carty needs to be benched at this stage.

I thought Aungier was excellent. Really got under Schoeman's skin and held his own at the set piece. Thought Schoeman was lucky not to have the handbags looked at when Aungier held him at the back of the maul. Looked to have made contact with Aungier's face when he lashed out.

The scrum collapsed when Illo came on. He was great around the park, smashing rucks and hitting anything that moved but the scrum was a bit of a disaster. If he can't sort that out, he'll struggle.

Prendergast was excellent again. A really dynamic and physical showing. Will he some battle next year for the blindside spot when POM retires.

Healy will get plaudits for the drop goal as he should (more for calling for it and not hiding than the actual execution; a prop could have tapped that over) but his overall performance was fairly mediocre again. Another charge down and he was generally quiet. Missed a couple of kicks which has been his strength of late and the Joyce and Prendergast tries both went through him on the line. Performance was certainly an improvement on last week from him though. We're missing absolutely nothing from an Irish perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭testtech05

We seem to have awful trouble securing kick offs for the last few years at this stage.

Seems like almost every game we lose one straight after scoring and end up conceding points straight back......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Was a very costly error and not a difficult one to take either. Murray can't make those errors and expect to be in an Irish squad. He was the man stripped by the Edinburgh scrum half too for the opening try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Looks like Porch got a bad cut on his leg below the knee from the collision with Kinghorn in the air. I only caught a bit of the Schoeman incident. Himself and Aungier were doing a bit of handbags but Schoeman did strike him in the face. I'm surprised it wasn't looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

what's the story with Dave Heff this weather? Not a sign of him to date

I agree Borders. Why would you put out a second team for a game that was clearly winnable. Why take off TOH and put JJ in his place when Carty was clearly the issue. A lot of crazy management decisions that defined the evening. This game was for the taking and instead it was thrown by by terrible selection decisions.

On the positive Joe Joyce is some find and Ralston is some player as well

To me it looked like they shifted Carty to 15 when JJ came on. When chasing a game Carty probably has a better skill set than TOH.

I’d like to see more of Carty at 15 with the amount of injuries at 15

Not something I would have considered but having considered it not something I will consider again. But it is a forum 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭ShineyShiney

Is Jennings an option at 15?

He's been decent on the wing in his couple of outings imo

Pretty sure he was playing regularly there for buccs last year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭evil_seed

For the last few years? For well over a decade!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

I remember it became very noticeable at the start of Friend's time. I think he was doing something weird like having forwards lift backs. It felt like a 7's thing but maybe that's just how i justified everything weird that he did.

It got sorted after a few months but it's really come back again this season.

Having listened to Ben Whitehouse, he clearly said the Porch issue was a 'nasty cut'. So hopefully he shouldn't be out for long.

Indeed Porch didn't really look in huge discomfort. It looked like Kinghorns studs just below the knee. So the oxygen was likely just for the pain. But most likely superficial injury than a long-term problem.

And then looking at the TOH replacement, he was clearly limping after the involvement in the Joyce try so it was an enforced replacement putting JJ into fullback and not what I originally thought. Hope he is ok for SA trip as we definitely are running out of options.

And no. I would not have Jack at fullback. All he would do is what he usually does which is kick away posession and put the team under pressure. It's such a consistent and hapless strategy and it drives me bonkers

Post edited by ElisaAtWar on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

At least Porch seems to have avoided a serious injury. Couldn't afford another long term back three injury.

One name that's missing from the squad to SA and isn't listed among the unavailables as far as I can see is Butler. No Boyle either but he's only back from injury but Butler came on for the final 20 mins against Edinburgh.

All said and done, and I am glad these guys are available, I think what Borders No2 said is just bang on. The game against Edinburgh was there to be had if you put out your starting 15. So it was a total crazy call and I hope we don't pay for it later in the season

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onefinemorning

Squad rotation and depth very important in the modern game - it will be a long season :)

couldn't agree more. but then there is rotation and just being silly

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

Can’t see past a Connacht win this weekend even away in Durban. Sharks have been very poor so far and have the travel element as well given they were in Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Sharks are a totally different animal at home so if Connacht get anything out of this game they will be doing well.

Advertisement