Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hamas strike on Israel - Threadbans in op - mod warning in OP updated 19/10/23

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’m saying the opposite actually. I’m firmly against Israel’s tactics of so called defending themselves when innocent lives are being taken indiscriminately. Additionally/equally I’m firmly against hamas killing Israelis.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Took you a while. They're nowhere because Palestine is not officially recognised as a state what with it being a prison

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

Whats your definition of a combatant -does it include civilians, teenagers throwing stones?

Israel holds over 1,200 detainees without charge. That's the most in 3 decades, a rights group says | AP News

Israel is holding over 1,200 detainees — nearly all of them Palestinians — without charge or trial, the highest number in over three decades, an Israeli human rights group said Tuesday.

The detainees, 99% of whom are Palestinians, are held under Israel’s policy of “administrative detention,” without trial and under allegations that Israeli authorities keep secret.

The detentions can range from a few months to years — and authorities often extend them for unknown reasons, according to Jessica Montell, the executive director of Hamoked, the rights group that published the figures.

Hamas are not a country last time I checked. Ridiculous...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,199 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It's extremely unlikely. Israel have now killed thousands of children.

I'm a pacifist but if I was a Palestinian who had their family killed by an israeli bomb I can't say that my ideals would hold.

Ask yourself this, if after the worst IRA attacks, had the british bombed IRA strongholds in Derry, killing hundreds, would the people of Derry thought "That's ok. We'll have peace now". And would the people of Derry, who voted for SF have deserved it?

And just a reminder, the majority of those alive in gaza never voted for Hamas. The last election was in 2006. That was 17 years ago. About half the population of Gaza is under 18.

The blinkers some people wear amaze me. They think that this is some type of simple game. Hamas = bad and therefore Israel = Good. And if israel just kill enough of Hamas they'll win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭brickster69

No surprise unforunately. If you presume the injured is double also and adjust it to Ireland's population, it is like Ireland having 5 Twin towers a week for 5 weeks.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

I'll happy provide feedback and I'll probably find what you're saying to be accurate as it is also the case with the Bible where you have fundamentalist Christians completely missing the point of Christs message and embarking on a path of hate and vitriol. We see the same in Judaism with some hardliners in Israel coming out with equally insane rhetoric.

I am an atheist but I do find theism interesing in the sense that it can shape cultures but I certainly wouldn't be painting an entire populace based on it like some on this thread seem to be determined to do. Like you say, there's great people and not so great people everywhere. I honestly just believe most people just want to have a safe home, food and happy family.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That would only spread the conflict

When Israel ran out of easy targets in Gaza it would have to start striking the hospitals in those other countries instead in order to satisfy their bloodlust against Palestinians.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Largest Gaza hospital 'not functioning', says WHO (rte.ie)

The largest hospital in Gaza has ceased to function and fatalities among patients are rising, the head of the World Health Organization (WHO) has said.

Hospitals in the north of the Palestinian enclave, including the al-Shifa complex, are blockaded by Israeli forces and barely able to care for those inside, with three newborns dead and more at risk from power outages amid intense fighting nearby, according to medical staff.

Get this....

Israel's military said it had offered to evacuate newborn babies and had placed 300 litres of fuel at al-Shifa's entrance on Saturday night, but both gestures had been blocked by Hamas.

Hamas denied that it refused the fuel and said the hospital was under the authority of Gaza's Health Ministry, adding that the amount of fuel Israel said it offered was "not enough to operate the (hospital's) generators for more than half an hour".

Ashraf Al-Qidra, spokesperson for the Health Ministry, said that of 45 babies in incubators at al-Shifa, three had already died.

A plastic surgeon in al-Shifa said bombing of the building housing incubators had forced staff to line up premature babies on ordinary beds, using the little power available to run the air conditioning to warm.

"We are expecting to lose more of them day by day," said DrAhmed El Mokhallalati.

The Palestinian Red Crescent said the strip's second largest hospital, Al-Quds, was also out of service, with staff struggling to care for those already there with little medicine, food and water.

"Al Quds hospital has been cut off from the world in thelast six to seven days. No way in, no way out," said Tommaso Della Longa, spokesperson for the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.

------------------------------

Israel offered enough fuel for 30 minutes. Can you believe that. Enough to fuel another Netanyahu lie. 2 largest hospitals not functioning now as per plan.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

Not going to stop terrorism but the aim is to stop Hamas first and find the hostages.

Obviously the current war will drive more Palestinians towards extremism, but Hamas was not short of support in Gaza to begin with and they have a history of attacking Israel and suicide bombers etc. so I don't see any good options for Israel, considering its neighbours.

Radical Islam does not appear to be able to live in peace with Jews. Or Hindus or Christians or atheists or even with different types of Muslims. There will be no lasting peace in the middle east, Israel just has to do what it must to defend itself and survive.

One side started this war and could end it by releasing the hostages.

Only one side is using women and children (and babies) as human shields.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭sock.rocker*

It only works if you sack their cities and ethnic cleanse them to such an extent that they cannot group again as their own distinct and identifiable entity.

Yes, those brave Israelis defending themselves and their borders from radical Islam.

Can you imagine if the UK were still displacing Irish people in the Republic and settling hundreds of thousands of people around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I don't think that poster was attempting to justify Israel's behavior, and there's more than a hint o Holocaust denial in its response (that obsession with 6 million is kind of a giveaway.)

Scurrilous post, I'd add the poster to the ignore list.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,447 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

UK media issued D - notices to not mention special forces operating in the middle east.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

He doesn't want it because he fears the cost but things can have a moment of their own. There is an understanding about the tit for tat exchange but things can get carried away on the ground.

It's not out of any love for Palestinians. It isn't that long ago really when his own forces were treating them like shi7 and butchering them.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Provide more accurate maps, or explain it quickly. You can't just link to a 35-minute video and consider Israel's expansion a done topic. The point I was making is that taking land is not defensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,399 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

If Israel's true aim is to defeat Hamas, why haven't they requested the Qatar to arrest the leader of Hamas, Ismail Haniyeh?

Like this is who you want me to watch for 35 minutes, to try and explain that Israel isn't taking Palestinian land?

At least now I know where you guys are getting all your extreme arguments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Leaving outside the use of the abortion analogy, I don't think it is particularly necessary, I don't know how the advocates of Israels response can't consider the following.

Hundred's of thousands of Palestinian kids are seeing their homes/neighborhoods/family/friends being blown to bits by the Israeli army. They are seeing extremely decisive rhetoric from Israeli officials and less extreme but none the less decisive rhetoric from other leaders worldwide. They are seeing their people being forced to abandon the tiny patch of land they have clung to for decades in an effort to have a home. And they are dying, in their thousands.

Do Israel supporters at this point not think that these children will grow up with a fervent hatred of the Israeli state because of what it is doing to them? This is the most acrimonious the conflict has been between Israel and Palestine probably since the war of 1948. Hamas exists partly because of the impact seeing hundreds of his community killed by Israel had on one of its co-founders.

The scale of the disproportionality of the Israeli response, coupled with the statements from their officials, is surely doing more in forming future resistance to Israel than it is bringing peace to the region.

The only way that it can conceivably bring peace is if it results in the obliteration of so many Palestinians in Gaza and the removal of those who remain so that Gaza no longer exists as a Palestinian entity. Then the warmongers will say, look, there is no longer hatred, ignoring the genocide they have supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,149 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Rezident

Hamas’s use of hospitals and other civilian facilities for command and control and weapons storage is a “violation of the laws of war”.

How can anyone be on the same side as Hamas? How?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,564 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I don't know how many times it has to be repeated, there's no one here on the side of Hamas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭applehunter

Can you imagine if the UK were still displacing Irish people in the Republic and settling hundreds of thousands of people around the country.

We don't need the UK, our own government have been doing it to us for the last 20 years.

beginning to think I need it as my signature...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,382 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That sort of propaganda only works on gullible eejits.

1) Footage emerges of an Israeli sniper shooting a lone Palestinian woman - walking down an otherwise empty street - in the head.

2) The IDF release a statement that there was a top Hamas command and control centre in the half-empty shopping bag she was carrying.

3) Standard boards.ie gullible wannabe-zionist response to assertions that Israel were bold boys for killing her - "But how can anyone be on the same side as a group of terrorists who hide their control centres in women's shopping bags and use them as human shields? How?"

• Advertisement

A good explainer for some to try and understand.

- Camille Paglia

Advertisement