Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Shoog

Your obtuse misrepresentation of obvious correlations and disingenuous representation of misleading facts doesn't convince anyone.

Men have high rates of suicide and it is emotional closedness which is the strongest warning for high risk of suicide in men.

Groups who experience alienation and rejection from society because of personal difference also experience high rates of suicide.The solution to this is not to impose or expect more heteronormal behaviour but for society to be more accepting of individual difference.

It's not an either/or situation and no one claimed it was. You think been a type of male makes you superior, but what the reality is it makes you far more vunerable to depression and self harm.

Post edited by Shoog on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

Why do you think there's research going back to the seventies on the underreporting of suicides? You seem to be ignoring that cause it doesn't suit your narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

None of that ( quite likely reality) in anyway conclusively means that the blame can be pinned on “ toxic masculinity “

acting woke won’t result in life ceasing to have problems or situations arising where a man capable of harsh actions isn’t needed

toxic masculinity was what won the day on D Day June 1944

Nothing purer than a reformed whore

sorry , I ain’t interested in reading the woke Bible

There is plenty of academic studies showing the correlation. The fact that this type of masculinity is no longer a sellable commodity or a wife winner just makes the pressures of been a toxic males worse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Groups who experience alienation and rejection from society because of personal difference also experience high rates of suicide.The solution to this is not to impose or expect more heteronormal behaviour but for society to be more accepting of individual difference.

It’s quite a bit more than just personal differences though, isn’t it? They are characteristics which a person has no control over, and expecting that society will change if everyone believes in the concept of toxic masculinity is a rather futile exercise when it’s impossible to sell the idea of being vulnerable as a benefit to people whom you’ve already claimed women should be wary of, and that anyone is justified in being prejudiced against people who they view as a threat to them. That kind of a society isn’t going to be accepting of individuals differences when they perceive whole groups as a threat based off negative stereotypes promoted about that group.

It's not an either/or situation and no one claimed it was. You think been a type of male makes you superior, but what the reality is it makes you far more vunerable to depression and self harm.

And again the evidence just doesn’t support that statement. It’s not about being a superior male, and I’ve gone to considerable lengths to have you consider suicide rates among women in your paradigm, but you’re continuing to exclude them because it doesn’t fit your narrative. It’s fine though, because for women who are insecure in themselves, they have the comfort of the concept of ‘toxic femininity’, still the fault of men of course -

https://www.verywellmind.com/what-is-toxic-femininity-5222736

You mean the notoriously left wing academic sector , I’d sooner ask my dog for the time

if you believe women are more attracted to feminist men , you are even more cocooned in you’re ideological bubble than I thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

Toxic masculinity these days pretty much amounts to people not being able to see a sexist joke as not separate the joke from it's teller, or a buzzword for those thinking men shouldn't have an opinion or input into a discussion because they're men.

And for what it's worth, women are more likely to cut the legs from under each other and put each other down than men will do to women. Having worked alongside women all my life, it's my experience that they're more likely to make uncomfortable or toxic environment in the office than men.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This thread has morphed into a perfect example of why toxic masculinity is so destructive.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I wouldn't have enough knowledge or experience in the area to know if it is ethical or not. I'd say the average lay person would be the same. Its such a complex subject.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

We already explained that you can't possibly know for a fact that suicide rates were lower, yet here we still are.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

But you haven't answered how you can make a statement that men with so called toxic masculinity, or whatever are at a lower risk of suicide than other sections.

I'm just asking because it's quite a sweeping statement and I'd like to read anything that backs it up

More so why toxic masculinity is merely an excuse for some for a moan about things they don't like about men.

Having a problem with some things men do doesn't equate to masculinity being toxic. It's just that person having a moan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Seems ethical to me. A 16 year old is a child after all.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I never said it was the root cause. I said it was a contributing factor.

Please try to debate what I said.

It is a contributing factor, because gender norms have changed and some men struggle with it.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,727 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The desperate attempts to dismiss the term aren't convincing.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

You’re conflating the positive aspects of traditional masculinity with toxic masculinity.

You seem to think the term “toxic masculinity” means all aspects of traditional masculinity are toxic. That’s exactly why I posted the definition earlier. It isn’t what it means. It means that some elements of traditional masculine expression are toxic. Some. Not all.

is that clear now?

they/them/theirs

Some elements of masculinity are toxic. Some are great.

Toxic masculinity refers to the toxic elements, not all masculinity

they/them/theirs

I demonstrated it earlier in the thread by way of providing evidence which contradicts Shoog’s narrative of meany men who can’t get a woman, etc, which he ascribes to toxic masculinity. That’s simply not the case when you look at the figures -

In line with previous research, the NSDUH data showed that rates of all three suicide-related behaviors — thoughts, plans, attempts — were generally higher among lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults than among heterosexual adults. After taking demographic factors into account, the researchers found that suicide risk was three to six times greater for lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults than for heterosexual adults across every age group and race/ethnicity category. Among gay and bisexual men, 12% to 17% had thought about taking their lives in the past year, 5% had made a suicide plan, and about 2% had made a suicide attempt. Among lesbian or gay women and bisexual women, 11% to 20% had thoughts of suicide, 7% had made a suicide plan, and about 3% had made a suicide attempt. 

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/news-releases/researchers-find-disparities-suicide-risk-among-lesbian-gay-bisexual-adults

Shoog’s suggestion by way of addressing the higher rates of suicide among minorities is for greater social acceptance of what he called ‘personal differences’, and that requires acceptance of a belief in the concept of toxic masculinity and all the ideas that entails. If one rejects that belief, the implication is that they’re part of the problem.

That’s circular logic - present the problem, and if a person rejects the concept, they’re part of the problem. It’s an unhelpful paradigm which is more about promoting an ideology than addressing why the issue persists among the minority of people who die by suicide.

As are the even more desperate attempts to confuse masculinity as toxic.

• Advertisement

Nobody said masculinity was toxic. Thanks for exemplifying what I was saying though.

You know that. I know that. Most people know that. But these days, it seems the very term masculinity has to be prefixed by the word toxic by an awful lot of people.

That's the problem, regardless of what it is, all forms of masculinity are seen as toxic, or leading to toxic behaviours. And a lot of just seem to be an excuse to moan about aspects of men you don't like, regardless of whether they can be toxic or not.

Then why say the phrase toxic masculinity if masculinity not toxic?

Would it not be more helpful to say toxic behaviours than attempting to conflate masculinity as something inherently toxic?

Right, I think I see where you might be misreading the findings. The LGBT rate is high, don't think anybody disagrees there.

The average rate for heterosexuals is a total figure. Within that group you'll have subsets that we know will have higher suicide rates than normal. So younger males will be in that lower hetrosexual figure, but I think we can all agree the suicide rate there will be higher than average. Same with older middle aged men. We've had 2 or 3 just recently in my local area.

So you could have suicide ideation rates as high or close as LGBT in younger men, but it will be hidden within all hetrosexuals.

But coming back to my initial point, I can't see how you can say the suicide rate is lower for men with so called toxic masculinity or whatever. The statistics you quoted don't give that level of detail to make a statement like that.

So you could have suicide ideation rates as high or close as LGBT in younger men, but it will be hidden within all hetrosexuals.

Are younger men distinct from the gay, bisexual and/or transgender demographic? I’m not certain why you’d focus on age-related demographics when the researchers accounted for that -

After taking demographic factors into account, the researchers found that suicide risk was three to six times greater for lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults than for heterosexual adults across every age group and race/ethnicity category.

I made the point that contrary to Shoog’s assertion of toxic masculinity (and the example he gave of men who exemplify the idea) wasn’t borne out by the evidence. That’s why I said it doesn’t appear to be the reason for the suicide rates among men and women when the issues (sexism, misogyny, etc) in a ‘heteronormative society’ attributed to toxic masculinity, are as prevalent as they are.

It’s why I rejected the original notion in the opening post that society was becoming more woke. It’s not, but you’d be forgiven for being given that impression if you were to take the culture wars nonsense seriously.

True, I missed that demographic factors were adjusted for.

But my point still stands, I can't see how you can infer anything about toxic masculinity suicide rates from those statistics. I very much doubt it's a question they'd ask. On a scale of 1-10 how toxic is your masculinity?

There you go with your straw man arguments again. Your implying I said things I never did, I even agreed with you.

Funny man.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,771 ✭✭✭eightieschewbaccy

In relation to traditional masculinity, my father would definitely fall into that category. So when he got depressed in his later years, he refused to consider a psychiatrist or counselling. He does take antidepressants but he's largely a shell of himself. He's an older generation so it's effectively treated like a dark secret in my family. That's a toxic culture that views mental health as his generation has and it's incredibly sad to see.

But sure that generation is as happy as can be.

• Advertisement

I can point to an ultra macho culture like is extremely prevalent amongst the traveller community, travellers have a very high rate of suicide

curiously enough however, the woke tend to ignore the macho culture within the traveller community due to their high ranking position on the woke sacred cow list

as I said earlier, the defining characteristic of the woke is hypocrisy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement