Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's more than they never learned to begin with. As far as I can discern, history here is taught with regards to Henry VIII and World War 2 and little else. Therefore, it's not surprising that there are a lot of spectacularly ignorant people as a result. On top of that, you have what Prof. Robert Saunders calls "The Tinkerbell Theory of History" where people fawn over various last stands such as Isandlwana, General "Chinese" Gordon at Khartoum, Sir Francis Drake and the Spanish Armada and so on. The image is one of plucky, little Britain refusing to go down without a fight.

It's a compelling image for a few reasons. First, it's simple. Second, it's virtuous and gives people a nice image of their country. Finally, it whitewashes history and obscures some inconvenient truths such as Britain being the world's foremost human trafficker at one point, that Britain (and the Netherlands) pioneered the concentration camp and that the contributions of India and the Commonwealth are shamefully disregarded for their little narrative.

"Lest we forget". Could they have chosen a more ironic maxim?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Farage away to the jungle and trousering 1.5m in the process. Operation Take-over-the-Tories to begin shortly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There was perhaps a touch of inevitability that the poppy would eventually be hijacked by right wingers and 'English nationalists'. The military, WW1, WW2, 'we stood alone'.....all of this stuff is like manna from heaven for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I used to support the Royal British Legion but they're the ones who allowed the poppy to get hijacked, never once did I see them meaningfully try and counter the narrative the far right grifters and rw press were pushing, and now these last few years has gone beyond parody. So they can stick their poppy, as can Help for Heroes, another bunch of absolute cnuts.

The former soldiers I occasionally chat to (online) all think similarly.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

History lessons started off around the time of William the Conqueror and The battle of Hastings

Was all a narrow account of Englands past

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I do wonder how much refusals to wear the poppy, such as McClean, feeds into the absolutism around the poppy. I think the people who now demand others wear it weren't that bothered until someone popped up with an alternative viewpoint and then bingo, they had an enemy which then made wearing a poppy a convenient battleline for those looking for a battle. It was the excuse they were looking for to abuse people and an opportunity to vent their anger while assuring themselves that they have the moral high ground.

Obviously normal people don't think like that but when you consider that these people latched onto the idea that a protest against war is a "hate march", you see the level of intellect we are dealing with. The same people justify all sorts of unsavoury (or worse) comments on the grounds of free speech while demanding everyone buy into concepts like the poppy with no room for other opinions there.

I'm not suggesting McClean did anything wrong, these people would have found another issue to rail against, but I wonder would the poppy have become such an issue had he, and others, just worn it. It's the same with many symbols, the ones that become most important are the ones that annoy the "other side". I'm sure RUC badges will be the next must have accessory for certain people after that video last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In the past absolutely nobody "refused to wear the poppy" it was impossible to "refuse" because it was just a badge you got for putting money in a charity box same as a million other ribbons and flowers.

"Refusing" by definition only became possible after it was being pushed and bullied on to people.

So the vicious, unintelligent, nationalist little chickens definitely came before the egg on this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah but it shouldn't have come to that: public television or sports teams turning it into a reflex forced the likes of McClean to take a stand, where really no stand should have been necessary in the first place. It's just a cheap badge yet got turned into a prop for hyper nationalists & xenophobes to basically belittle and badger people they don't like - AKA, those britain-hating lefties or for'ners. Or snuggle up to their reductionist view of British History as a mythical temperate, positive force. It is, funnily enough for all the raging the Right do when it's about inclusions or Pride, a good example of Virtue Signalling; albeit one founded on a very chequered history.

"Just do it and shut up" feeds into exactly the kind of continued fear about not wearing it when really, I wish there were more James McClean's not fewer. Especially any celebrity whose nationality has a history with Britain that isn't exactly stellar. Being silent on the issue won't move the needle, but it's saddening how little fuss people do make at this stage - though the fact the Tories have intentionally stoked and cultivated a deeply insular and divided Britain has made it harder to do just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Suella sacked again in the last 20 minutes according to Times/Sky/Guardian.

I'm sure Sunak will twist himself in knots in an attempt to say she was both right in everything she said about "hate" marches but also needed sacking for being wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well she got what she wanted for sure; the only thing in my mind did she do it because she did not want to be part of the government at next election collapse and/or did she think it would strengthen her position in the upcoming PM election (in a "I wanted things to be tougher than I was allowed to").

James Cleverly moving from Foreign Office to Home Secretary.

Which leaves FO vacant obviously, and the current rumour (surely can't be true) is David Cameron.

edit : Just checked and Dave is not in the Lords, so would have to be made a peer first. Could all be done in an hour of course, but seems implausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Another mess by Sunak. Why the wait over the weekend? She hasn't done anything since last week that changes anything so yet again this looks like weakness and indecisiveness from the PM. Sunak will now have to explain why it took him so long to decide when the facts were all known last week.

Surely Sunak had a plan in place for this, always very likely, scenario? He must have known that at some stage she would become too much of a liability. Seems he really had no plan in place and therefore tried to ride the latest controversy out.

It is also another reminder to all voters of just how chaotic the Tory government are. Constantly changing ministerial positions, not to mention the PM's. Sunak knew the risks when he appointed her, but he felt the risk was worth it.

Or maybe she is just a dumb fuk with a loud mouth.

Her and the rest of the current Tory cabinet are what was scraped off the bottom of the barrel after years of the party being hollowed out so I wouldn't be too quick to believe this is some well thought out scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Not true. The BBC have 'pushed' all their presenters and guests to wear a poppy for at least ten years. Dara O Brian mentioned that in an interview, about ten years ago, where he was worried there might be backlash in Ireland when he wore a poppy on one of his BBC shows. I am sure other tv channels do the same.

It is not a recent phenomenon.

I didn't mention a time frame. I have previously said it got worse recently alright.

Junior health minister stepped down to "spend more time with young family" and the schools secretary stepping back because"he had been planning to switch to a diplomatic role after the next election". Ya sure he was.

The sinking ship just lost 2 more rats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The BBC have now reported that James Cleverly is now confirmed as Home Secretary.

Schools Minister Nick Gibb has also quit his job this morning. He is taking up a diplomatic role after the next GE.

A lot of very mixed views are coming in from people ringing in about Suella Braverman's sacking on Jeremy Vine on Channel 5 this morning. The phone lines are known to be very busy according to Jeremy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Sorry, I don't have much UK slang in my vocabulary. Can you explain what you mean by trousering and 'the jungle'?

I don't mean to be pejorative, simply confused by the terminology.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

He's going on I'm a Celebrity and being paid handsomely to do so.

• Advertisement

Cameron is new foreign secretary.

A lot of Tories not happy that Sunak is essentially saying the 350 sitting MPs are not good enough.

Jebus. That seemed so unlikely to me 60 minutes ago. I guess nothing this government does should surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So the PM who gave us Brexit is foreign secretary 🤣

And gets awarded with a seat in Lords.

First former PM in 50 years to enter cabinet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Journalist Emily Sheffield has said on Jeremy Vine that she didn't know that this was going to happen at all.

It's a mad day in british politics when you see this stuff happen right in front of our faces.

Jeremy Hunt is not moving though. He is still chancellor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What kind of world are we living in when the return of David Cameron feels like an adult has finally been appointed to a key position of government, after a succession of extremists and incompetents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

So the new Foreign Secretary is the man who set the ball rolling on a disastrous move for British foreign relations. Interesting

Will be some party down the local butcher shop tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Worst PM since Chamberlain back in government. He's not learned anything, either. I suppose HMG are thinking he's had interactions with foreign governments in the past and that's an asset.

• Advertisement

I think he was PM when the UK got its last & final round of concessions from the EU? Been a minute. But this is where the Tory party has found itself: because by all accounts Cameron was a statesman who curried some respect and reputation across the globe. It was completely self-destructed by Brexit but compared with the sequence of complete morons, Cameron looks positively godly.

In fact, what odds now he gets back into the PM chair when Sunak invaribly gets the heave-ho?

Advertisement