Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sinn Fein and how do they form a government dilemma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Rosahane

It would be interesting if you give us your take on the names of the SF prospective candidates for the roles as the thirty five or so ministers and ministers of state?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,972 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I would think those in shadow ministries will take up respective Ministerial positions.

other than that I haven't given it much thought at this stage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Right, so FG did not, in fact, "go in" as junior partners which was my point. Had that been the option on the table I am sure they would have just gone into opposition.

So it's quite possible that negotiations for a new government won't call FF a 'junior' partner even though we all know on seat numbers that they are.

Optics.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Holding the position of Taoiseach is not "optics".

• Advertisement

Pretending they are equal is optics.

They are equal due to negotiation.

I don't have any real issue with that BTW, that how it works.

But I don't have to pretend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭rock22

At the end of the day, it is the seat numbers that will determine what options are viable. And the 'backroom boys and girls' from all parties will put out feelers to any and every viable combination.

If FF seat numbers collapse then the only viable option might be a SF/FG coalition. I can see a few TD's, from both sides, stepping back from any ministerial offer but if that is the only option then some deal will be struck. If FF seats don't collapse then I would think a SF/FF deal would be easier to achieve.

As cabinet positions will have to be shared between two or more parties then not all SF shadow ministers will be part of the cabinet. That reality might also be a factor in reaching any deal.

I am not a big fan of the Greens, but I have to admit they have managed to implement many of their policies. Not bad for a junior partner. It is possible they will do alright in the general election.

I can see a situation with FF having enough seats to form a government with SF.

There then enters a conundrum for FF, do they refuse and take the further wrath of the electorate for causing another election or do they give it a go?

I don't think another FF/FG/Oth is a given, there are many scenarios that may emerge/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Realistically there are two options currently that I can see; it's either FF/SF or FF/FG and then the only question is how many "other" seats either coalition would need (i.e. third party or more likely independents). Now that can obviously change between now and the election but I highly doubt there will be significant movements to swing away from those two. The question then becomes what can SF offer to FF assuming FG offer shared Taoiseach again (SF would have to offer the same because anything less would be a "downgrade"). Could FG/SF happen? I don't really see it honestly but SF would have to accept to go in as equal partner (i.e. basically same deal as FF/FG has today) and I think it would be bad for both parties from a voting perspective.

See what you are saying and agree with the quandaries there for the different parties.

However I think there are other things that will be having an effect.

I don't think you can handwave away internal issues in FF re: continued coalition with FG.

I think it really will be crossroads time for FF if polling now were to play out in a GE.

Nobody will rock the boat too much when they are constrained by the current arrangements, but once those restraints end (we go to election) I think the handcuffs will come off those in FF who are unhappy.

It will be fascinating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If FF seat numbers collapse then the only viable option might be a SF/FG coalition.

Vanishingly unlikely. If FF lose big in the next GE a big chunk of those seats will almost certainly go to SF and that will almost certainly push them over the line to forming their preferred left coalition, if not an outright overall majority.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

There's a definite whiff of grapeshot about SF. A lot of voters over a certain age have clear memories of the events of the 1970s and the 1980s and will have very grave doubts about SF. That generation hasn't died off yet and, significantly, FF draws disproportionately on that generation for its own support. So there's a degree of risk for FF in entering a coalition that puts SF in government — a risk which I think is magnified if SF is the larger party and expects the position of Taoiseach.

Everything depends on the electoral mathematics. If the mathematics are such that FF/FG and FF/SF both have the numbers to be a viable government, from FF's perspective FF/FG will look like both the electorally safer and the ideologically more coherent option. But if FF/SF is the only viable option then, yeah, FF will go there — not without some trepidation, but they will go there.

If the mathematics are such that FF/FG and FF/SF both have the numbers to be a viable government, from FF's perspective FF/FG will look like both the electorally safer and the ideologically more coherent option. 

Again, I think you are underestimating the desire to not go back into what will have been a toxic relationship for them. If their GE vote falls or collapses altogether that is, If they hold ground around +20%, then they have the choices you outline. Not so much if they are around 15/16%

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Can't see a collapse either.ffg numbers are already weak. Also even if sf are in opposition again, they have had huge increases in support over the last few years, effectively its nigh on impossible to get more than they have now, maybe tiny increases, they will win the most seats next election. The problem then is, if they go into government, it will be downhill from there seat wise come next election. A credible fourth force in politics, would be fantastic for the Irish people...

No chance.. the only way any one cleans up, is if they offer something different, speak the truth and are prepared to stir the wasps nest, zero chance of that with anyone currently in the dail...

Has mm announced when he is likely to step down ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If the mathematics are such that FF/FG and FF/SF both have the numbers to be a viable government, from FF's perspective FF/FG will look like both the electorally safer and the ideologically more coherent option.

Things will get very interesting though if the numbers are there for FF and FG to form another government, but things are pretty precarious, possibly reliant on the Greens, SDs and a bunch of independents. Then we'll see where FF's true aspirations lie. I always thought for Martin, to paraphrase a former government colleague of his, the worst deal without SF is better than the best deal with them but ever since this 'wobble' I'm not so sure

If in that circumstance FF do end up cutting a deal with SF 'stability' will obviously be the reason cited but I doubt it'll be the only one, or even the main one...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I think you are right in that SF will get the most seats, not many will argue that point.

But I dont see them getting enough seats for a majority, which means they have to join forces with FF, in order to form a govt.

If MM is in charge of FF, that wont happen. But a new leader may be more receptive to the idea.

My money is still on FFG returning to govt and locking out SF for a 2nd time.

If MM is in charge of FF, that wont happen.

Given his track record of saying one thing and doing another, I wouldn't be putting any money on that if you can't afford to lose it.

A coalition with SF will be viewed by many as more toxic than the current coalition with FG.

If FF want to be in govt next term, they have no choice but to coalesce with either FG or SF.

I think that trumps any notion of "toxicity" within the party, as far as FF are concerned.

As long as the numbers are there to partner with FG instead of SF, its an easy choice to go (again) with the former.

• Advertisement

I'll rephrase that to the correct way of putting it;

A coalition with SF will be viewed by many as potentially more toxic than the current coalition with FG which has definitely been toxic for the FF party.

Of course there is also the possibility it may not be as toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Correct. S.F. is toxic to others: nobody wants to form a government with them.

When sf are given by far the largest support as a single party, for a second time. Even more dramatic the next election, almost definitely. Will it be tolerated, for them to be shut out by ffg , whom many deem to have actually brought sf to where they are support wise, because of ffg very poor governance... ffg have given sf this surge, sf hasn't really done squat diddly...

I am not so sure about that.

I think most FF voters, who tend to be older or retired, would have real issues with the party governing with SF.

I dont think those people see partnering with FG as anything like as bad. FG and FF are barely distinguishable from eachother anyway.

Now sure, FF voters would like to see their party take on some defining policies that seperate themselves a little from FG. And they will campaign on that.

But when the dust settles, FF policies will be much closer to FG than they are to SF.

Same as they are today.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If FF seat numbers collapse, then a SF/FG is the only option that can be ruled out.

FG/Labour/SD/Greens/Independents would come first, as would SF/PBP/I4C/SDs.

However, based on the current polls, SF/FF is favourite, with FF/FG/Greens in second place. I would not rule out that reversing between now and the election.

As for senior versus junior, some of the nonsense posted over the last few pages is best ignored for the rubbish propaganda that it is. FF and FG went into this government as equal partners. Any future SF coalition with FF will have to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,044 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's a vague possibility that SF might get enough seats to allow them to cobble together enough votes with a mish-mash of other parties, some or all of Labour, Greens, SDs and some independents. It's a long shot, but not entirely impossible at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,959 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Absolutely yes, it has happened many times before in Irish politics, 1948, 1954, 1973 etc.

In all those cases, there was one party far larger than all the others, and a coalition government shut them out.

Very much a long shot, though I think you are right that it cant be ruled out entirely.

There would be some serious concession trading in those government formation meetings!

I'd love to be a fly on the wall there :)

I think most FF voters, who tend to be older or retired, would have real issues with the party governing with SF.

I think this is a FF voter base that doesn't exist tbh.

And it will be those looking to the future on the one hand and at their own political survival on the other who will be the game changers IMO.

FF will be at that crossroads I talked of earlier if they are down around where they are now in the polls in a GE result.

Stay in what has been a toxic relationship or move in a new direction.

• Advertisement

Interesting, but did it happen back to back elections and were there really serious societal consequences at play, I.e the housing crisis that is driving sf vote surge now...?

Advertisement