Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Even in this mad government there will not be a PM who is not an MP.

Also Sunak is surely in now until the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I wonder have some more senior tories refused the position. You'd imagine someone like May might have been an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Alec Douglas-Home was PM for 20 days without being an MP so it's not without precedent. A convenient by-election was arranged.

But agree that bar death it's a near-certainty there won't be a new PM before the election. (though I'm conscious that 100% of my predictions today have been wrong)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Almost certainly. You don't go as far back as to drag out Dave if you've not looked at who's closer to home. I suspect a lot of them are either nervous about the imminent electoral disaster and being tied to it or they're unfit for the office, 30p Lee Anderson for instance.

Theresa May for all her flaws never seemed as much of a careerist as the others. She knows her star won't shine any brighter so there's no reason for her to tie herself to this government.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shelga

Really didn’t see the appointment of David Cameron coming! UK government continues to careen out of control, with no vision, strategy or joined-up thinking for the country, just hurtling from one disaster to the next.

Does this make the chance of an early general election more or less likely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Hilarious. A Remainer as foreign secretary.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭reactadabtc

I wonder will David Cameron run as an MP next year. There were reports years ago that he wanted a return to politics as he was bored af, well he's back now, in one of the top jobs and surely he will look to run as an MP in the event that there is a leadership challenge after the next election.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

He was a Eurosceptic for years. He only played Remainer because he was stupid enough to bet everything on a coin flip. He's also still mired in a lobbying scandal but beggars cannot be choosers I suppose.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Maybe she wanted this, I'm not sure. I know there's a narrative that she wanted it so she could really pitch herself as a future leader and can now take the shackles off a bit, but I don't really buy it.

I think her chances of being a Tory leader are between slim and none.

If the Tories lurch to the right after the inevitable election beating they're going to take then they're going to spend a long time out of power. Even if the Tories are stupid enough to elect her leader (which I don't think they are), Braverman will never be PM.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Seeing how Sunak is acting as a PM it's exactly the same as before; no chance in hell because that would imply he's making a proactive decision instead of being pushed ot do something (and MPs want to stay in their seats milking benefits for as long as possible)...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think he will take full of advantage of this door reopening for him

Home also happens to be the last former PM to take a cabinet position in Heath's government in 1970.

A big difference now is there is no such thing as "a convenient by-election" for the Tories 🤣

I wouldn't be so sure. Once they're gone, they'll be consumed by a culture of backstabbing and blaming. Heads will roll. She'll position herself as the defender of British values (whatever those are), the warrior against woke and someone who will stop the small boats despite making no progress in years as Home Secretary. Also, the Devil looks after his own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

When it comes to these Tories, the phrase "I wouldn't put it past them" applies perfectly well. Cameron probably possesses enough ... well let's not call it goodwill, but some degree of allowance that he could probably get away with it. Especially if the client journalism out there spun the right narrative.

Health minister has now resigned.

He was "always planning on not running in the next election to concentrate on blaa blaa blaa"

• Registered Users Posts: 18,636 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

He was / is a hardcore Europhobe who mostly strongly disliked the EU. The very reason he held the referendum was because of his contempt for the union (check out Sir Ivan Rogers recollections of the period 2013-16).

Transport Minister has resigned to "concentrate on local issues"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Could it be an attempt to position Cameron for a run as next Tory leader? They have lost the next election already but need a safe pair of hands when in opposition. He can be easily dropped then before the following election and someone else brought in.

He probably has a good enough standing amongst the centre-right of the electorate while also being able to appeal to the right wing headbangers as the man who had the balls to hold the Brexit referendum. He might be seen as a compromise candidate by those with their hands on the levers of power within the party.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I think if the opportunity presents itself he will grab it

Maybe in the long term. In the short term, I think he's largely discredited within the party and is only there due to a lack of anything resembling talent. We once had a Foreign Secretary who sang The Road to Manderley in a Myanmar temple and another who was Liz Truss so the bar for the role isn't exactly high.

I'm convinced that in the short term, MPs will coalesce around a culture war candidate, probably Braverman and they'll lose the 2029 election. Then, they may shift back to the centre.

• Advertisement

This, and your earlier 'Health Minister has resigned' are both a bit misleading.

The actual Transport and Health Cabinet Ministers (Mark Harper and Steve Barclay) are still very much in place. Two non-entity sub-ministers (of which there's about 6 in every department) have resigned, really not a big deal.

Fair enough. I was just going by the title they were given on the newspaper.

I still find it funny how many Tories suddenly never intended to stand in the next election and are pulling lots of other things to "concentrate on" out their arsses.

Yeah, in fairness The Guardian and others also tend to overplay it. 'Health Minister has resigned' as a headline but when you burrow down it's Junior Minister with responsibility for nothing much. I think there's ~120 of these 'minister of state' roles so there's always a bit of churn. Actual Cabinet Ministers stepping down would be a proper story.

I can't see how Cameron would be a long term leadership option, I could definitely see him as a short term option to steady the ship. He'd be fairly disposable though and they'd drop him once he has served his use.

If the MPs were going to coalesce around Braverman, it'd be happening right now. Lord knows Sunak doesn't have enough authority to keep them in line.

There is a small group of MPs called the New Conservative Group who rumour has it will be meeting soon to discuss a push for leadership by Braverman but I don't think they are believed to have sufficient power and it's not certain Braverman herself is keen right now.

Would love to see her try. I miss the old "Boris/May/Lettuce is toast" thread 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I reckon that Braverman is looking to the next election, and figuring that the only people voting Tory will be UKIP/EDL types and that any remaining moderate Tories will be wiped out.

In a small right-wing party she stands a very good chance of becoming leader.

As for possibly becoming PM in 2029, five years is a very long time in politics. In the meantime, she'll relish being at the dispatch box roaring at Keir Starmer that he's not doing enough to stop the boats (assuming that the Tories win enough seats to be the opposition). It'd boost her profile for her future role as a GB/Fox News pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

It's fair sickening to see Cameron back in politics and he has to become a 'Lord' to get Foreign secretary, 'Lord Cameron' it really stinks to high heaven

• Can’t see Cameron coming back. He demonstrated appallingly weak leadership back in 2015 by caving in to the Brexiteer wing of his party and granting them the referendum.

They'd be stupid to push for her now. If they fail, that'll be her chance gone. If they are successful, she'll be the one carrying the can for the pasting at next election and will be ousted before the following election. Obviously that they consider Braverman in anyway suitable to lead the country does speak to their stupidity so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can’t see Cameron coming back.

He is back though!

Advertisement