Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Pay Talks - see mod warning post 4293

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭skidmarkoner

I honestly can't get over the argument that people at the end of their careers are well paid.

It's new entrants we are worried about people with 20+ years experience in the public sector are likely to be top of the scale in whatever they do and the salary is either great or just good enough they suffered 20 years of it.

It's attracting new entrants that's the problem nobody wants to work in the public sector because the pay is simply muck compared to private or even semi state bodies, no bonus, no lunch, no health, not even heating in half the buildings why would anybody come work for us?

40k starting after 1 year course engeinerring in Pfizer or Intel possibility to negotiate pay rises at the table with your boss Vs arguing with strangers online about teachers salary It's no wonder we aren't seeing a decent portion of new entrants

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

Which is atually shocking considering the leave that they get and the ease of access to the profession

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

I spoke with a teaching graduate of 2021. There were sixty in her graduating class and by Summer 2023 fifty seven of them had emigrated to teach in various places from the UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Australia and Canada.. . . . Now right wing loony FF/FGers on boards.ie would interpret that as these people being so well paid by FF/FG that they felt guilt about it and decided to emigrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭salonfire

You want to solve a housing shortage in Dublin with increased pay for every teacher in the country?

Would that money not be better spent building public housing in Dublin, allocated to essential workers?

You're not great at problem solving are you?

39k isnt 500 a week. You also said it was nearly the same on job seekers. How is way over double nearly the same. I hope you dont teach Maths.

• Advertisement

The stats do not back up what the poster was saying originally.

Because the jobseeker gains additional benefits which are not available to other workers.

39K per annum = 39000 / 52.18 = €747 per week. 32% deductions gives €507.96 per week.

Why are you using 32% deductions? Taxcal for a public servant has 588 a week.You also left out the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭bren2001

Can you explain how?

I don't think the stats are as strong as the poster may have assumed but they do show not everyone completes their degree and not everyone who trains to be a teacher becomes a teacher.

I am not sure who would publish stas on the number of new teachers who quit. I do not know what the Teaching Council publish.

Ive given you that stats but you clearly are not engaging with them and instead just stating your own opinion. How is that any different to what you were originally claiming?

I left out the summer?. . . . you think FT teachers shouldn't be paid in the summer (many not permanent are not)?

I'm done with you.

Post edited by Nody on

• Advertisement

Teachers are not actually paid for the summer. Their salary for the 9 months is paid over 12 months.

On a pro-rata basis, teachers are paid significantly more than shown on the pay scales.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

A 1 year engineering course?

Engineers are at a minimum educated to degree level and most have a masters.

They still wouldn't be starting on 40k either.

We've now reached the level of. . . . . "There's a pay scale but they're actually paid more than the pay scale"

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭reggie3434

It's this kind of nonseniscal arguements that diminish our ask for higher wages. We only have a narrow view of the world based on our own immediate world, my wife went back and did the hibernia course during covid and is teaching now. Before all that I would have thought teaching is a handy number and we were paying for a masters degree. I tell you know there's no way I would have passed that course or make it in the teaching world, the planning, dealing with the parents, seeing the heartbreaking hardships of some of the kids, no way.

And in my expereince the ones banging the table in the CS saying we need more more more are the ones who are least effective at getting things done, but then again I could be wrong there.

I know of 4 people now that have studied a 1 year plc and walked into both of them companies starting on 40k base salary, they are closer to 55k after bonuses and premiums added on. 2 of them are now pursuing level 8 degrees funded by the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭reggie3434

This is the thing, we all free choice to go where we want career wise, whinging about the neighbours and what they're getting is a waste, go follow that career stream if it's so great yourself.

In 2005, straight out of college (undergrad), I was able to get over €50k in my first job.

Now that job had a brutal 8/2/10 24 hour rotation and a 365day roster but that pay really made it worthwhile, as a 23 year old.

Friends who went into the public equivalent locally were on a fraction of that.

So why am I in PS now? Redundancy which is why you will never hear me say that we should be paid the same as private workers. There is a premium on that security but I am also going to be very vocal that the one band fits all grading we do is killing certain sectors for recruitement/retention

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

You're not wrong. You're entirely right. You'd also be right with that description of many posters on here who are talking out of their arses with stuff like "they're actually paid more than the pay scale" and ignoring the reality of teacher shortages.

I'm arguing the logic that we need better pay so that we can remain competitive and therefore deliver better services. If you can't see the rational behind being competitive in the labor market I really question your interests in this conversation.

Teachers are relatively well paid in an Irish context. Problem is that they are highly educated, natively English speaking, EU passport carriers. They are in demand in some of the better places to live (and some horrid places who pay a fortune)

So it's not that they are paid well in relation to other sectors, in Ireland, rather they can get a bucket load more abroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I haven't studied teachers' payscales in any detail, but @Peter Flynt is not entirely wrong in the point I think he is trying to make.

It may be an unpopular opinion on this thread, but it is a commonly agreed one on others that the secondary benefits that come with (some) social welfare payments cannot be discounted, and are actually a disincentive to some seeking full time work.

The fact is, someone on a basic social welfare payment, who also qualifies for Housing Assistance Payment / social housing and a GP/GMS card - when the value of those secondary benefits are all added up they are often equally as well off - or in some cases better off - than someone in full time employment, especially if that person is at the start of their career or a low earner.

Personally as a 3rd year CO I would be better off on the welfare than working I choose to stay because I see progression and I want to work in this field.

I have no fear of being made redundant in this state are Welfare system is strong enough that'll I will be fine.

What I do worry about is moving up and nobody wants to work in lower rungs because the difference in wages is basically nadir to that on welfare

And although the conversation was about teachers my argument applies to all lower paid workers in the country.

€500 approx net per week where a minimum of €230 is available on social welfare is low pay in any job.

Where did I state engineers? I clearly said a 1 year engineering course.

Learn to read mate

Completely apologise- you said:

"40k starting after 1 year course engeinerring in Pfizer or Intel".

Whilst "learning" to read I had stupidly assumed you had meant engineering when you had spelt it "engeinerring".

Sorry again "mate".

The COs really are the worst off in the country now and are the least vocal.

It's very grating to hear the teachers and their propaganda wing spinning about how hard they have it when all stats show otherwise.

Still though, plenty of applications to the panels for COs, which probably shows how desperate some people are in the private sector be it the insecurity, the workload or poor managers, whatever. Even though the money might be better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

Once upon a time, CO was the entry grade but I don't know why anyone would apply for CO now when they could go straight for EO.

My own niece recently did the open EO competition and has been placed on the panel. (She currently works in retail). She didn't bother with the TCO/CO competitions at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nope. In my experience in large MNCs and small private sector software businesses, I got increases every year.

• Advertisement

Anecdotally I know 3 teachers who graduated over the past 10 years. 1 stayed in Ireland 2 moved to Dubai with no intention of return.

We aren't exactly the most enticing country and teachers are vital staff.

I can only speak from what I see but CO posts around me are not being filled and when they are people are leaving after a few months on promotion or for better pay in the private sector

Advertisement