Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport New Runway/Infrastructure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

This morning on RTE, Claire Byrne interviewed Ciaran Cuffe MEP. He supports the 30m passenger limit and is going to meet the DAA. I didn't hear all the interview, but (surprise, surprise) he seemed to get an easy time of it. Cuffe asserted that the "true" level of aviation emissions was 10% rather then the 2.5% generally quoted. I'd like to see the methodology of this examined.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/radio1/clips/22319258/

Anyhow, that's my Green vote gone to someone else!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I would say all internal flights in Ireland will soon be banned. France and Spain going that way and now we have passenger limits too. Wonder how many passengers that would take out.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭dublin12367

Few things there after listening to that.

The cap has absolutely nothing to do with either ensuring the residents of north Dublin can sleep at night nor does was it set because of climate reasons.

Claire suggesting anyone who takes more than 4/6 flights a year should be taxed on this accordingly is disgraceful. How does more tax make it greener.

Ciaran complaining about people heading away on stag weekends to Prague etc. nothing to do with him where and why people go away.

Interview funnier than some comedians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Donegal and Kerry have scheduled flights to Dublin, the former being a PSO route. I'm sure there are stats on passenger numbers but I'm not going to do the search for you.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

hardly any.

30m annually is 82,417 a day (364 days).

I doubt the PSO routes make up more than 500 a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,900 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not a hope. The only internal flights we have were both subsidised until recently; and the one that now isn't is basically being run as a loss leader by the airline to stop a rival getting a subsidy for it. They meet all standards to be considered essential services and hence would never be on the chopping block

France and Spain are cutting flights that have high speed rail equivalents; and even then still allow connecting flights. I did BCN-MAD a while back and basically the entire plane were connecting to another flight at MAD; so if they did ban that one due to the AVE train there would still be demand for multiple full A320s a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭prunudo

Is there approx figure of how many passenger/day the airport can currently handle.

Not sure on the actual capacity the terminals can handle per day but some days during the summer this year there were days it hit 120,000. If that was every day - 120,000 x364 = yearly total of 43,680,000. Way above the cap, which shows how flawed it is.

I think there’s hourly limits on terminals tho. Not sure on the exact figures.

Claire suggesting anyone who takes more than 4/6 flights a year should be taxed on this accordingly is disgraceful. How does more tax make it greener.

That isn't the big gotcha she thinks. 2 or 3 trips a year, from an island nation isn't as much of fanciful or over zealous use of flights. It really worries me when prime time public service broadcasters make such stupid comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭moonshy2022

The cap isn’t permanent, and soon will be raised as the DAA applies for new modifications to the airport campus to increase capacity.

again there is an awful lot of people making a mountain out of a molehill, in part through jealousy of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭bilbot79

• Registered Users Posts: 25,443 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d say in 10 years you might see formally the idea of a second airport. Maybe not in Dublin itself but maybe in Meath… or thereabouts, Ireland East or something…. Who’d go there would be another story…. Dublin will at some point be at capacity…nobody will want to sacrifice connectivity…

expanding the airport currently eastwards ? Non runner… the cemetery and having to reroute the R132 which is a non runner as it’s a major artery into the airport itself and into / out of Dublin ….

northwards ? Nope, Ridgewood and Fosterstown residential developments are way too close as well as Forrest Little Golf club which is a very established and sought after golf amenity…but even if they bought the golf club you’d never in ten million years get planning so close to residential properties…

to the south too many businesses in horizon, a massive Dublin bus depot and sillogue golf and others who rely on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It has two runways same as Heathrow (actually, Heathrow lost the last crosswind runway years ago but Dublin still has one) and that handles over 60 million passengers a year. Talk of a second airport in Dublin or even in the adjacent counties is daft.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

There will not be a 2nd airport in the greater Dublin/Leinster in any of our lifetimes. Those that think otherwise are deluded, have a regional agenda of their own or are just trolling.

There is a massive amount of space to the west of the airport. If the infrastructure to the east is going to handle 40m, another 40m could easily be accommodated to the west and realistically Dublin is never going to handle 80m passengers a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

capacity can be increased partially by the larger aircraft. I believe the planes ryanair take delivery of in several years, have 21% higher seat count than current...

Also as regards a new airport being built in this country in our lifetime! as per the above post! L!O!L! if planning was applied for now, we would be looking at sixty years before a decision was reached... metrolink will be delivered before 2035, before another airport here is built in the next hundred years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Economics101

We have had so many decades of one-off building all over the countryside that there is virtually nowhere in Ireland (other than mountains) which would not have loads of locals objecting to the noise. And they would have a better case than the chancers who bought or built close to the long-planned DUB 10/28 runways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭Noxegon

Not a chance. What you will see (and in less than 10 years) is politicians pontificating about how routes should be moved from Dublin to the regions.

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

Try right now for that. And indeed back to the T2 days it was being claimed too.

We were also told an independent SNN would get all these routes that were being "held back" from them. Didn't happen.

• Advertisement

I meant the west apron of Dublin airport and the current lands up for sale around that which is zoned for agricultural or airport use, just to clarify.

Speaking of that land, what is the current status of the sale. Are the mcEvaddy's still trotting out the idea of interest from some mega rich Middle east investment fund or are they going to have to accept the Daa offer.

Post edited by prunudo on

They're insisting they have loads of high bids, but the claim that they'll apply for permission for a terminal, that has no access to the airfield, suggests that there isn't anything realistic other than the DAAs chancy one.

Applying and being refused permission would make the land worth even less.

McEvaddys appear to be chancers, and their media management of the sale has only cast doubt on their handling of it. Pity, as they did very well in their earlier business career when they bought up lots of old Boeing 707s and sold them as sources of engines and other parts for the then KC-135E conversion programme.

According to that FORUM group a notice was in the Irish times during the week and the documents ABP requested by the daa which were supplied in Sept are now available for public viewing and observations. Closing date for observations 14th Dec. 500 pages.

I haven’t seen the notice or the 500 pages yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

In terms of a new airport, the only thing I could see as a very long shot, is baldonnel etc being used, when short haul electric or near silent aircraft go into service...

Post edited by Idbatterim on

Rehearsed here many times before and there is zero chance. Also, nowadays much of the noise an aircraft makes is airframe rather than engine noise, especially when gear and flaps/slats are extended.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Qaanaaq

Totally agree.

Regarding a limit or tax on the number of flights or miles a person can do in a year. Firstly it would be virtually impossible to come up with a global system to allocate or police this. How could Ireland do this on it's own?

A tax based system would just benefit the rich who would not adjust their behavior and then the super rich with private jets which are the ultimate end of the scale.

Environmental Caps on separate airports are not effective as the demand just shifts to another hub, just like the Dutch are doing. It does nothing to reduce overall activity.

Dublin Airport is nowhere near capacity so all this talk is just generated about by the media based on various lobby group agenda, McEvaddy's land or new runway departure path action groups.

The current planning cap by Fingal is not airport related, but was to do with road traffic capacity in the local area. This is going to be reviewed and while public transport initiatives to the airport itself have not progressed, one could argue that since covid, commuters and WFH have significantly reduced from the pre covid projections. The main artery to the airport is the M1 and it has to max peaks based on the morning and evening commutes. I would say that whatever commuting M1 traffic projections were forecast before Covid, are at least 20% lower with the new WFH patterns.

Just to clarify, i'm not comparing commuting peak traffic in 2019 to 2024,2025 etc, but rather the original projections for 2025 peak commuting traffic versus post covid revised projections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭AnRothar

A tax based system 

is on the way.

Advertisement