Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

To get more viewers you’ll need to underprice and not use last sold price.

afterall there was only 1 person paying that level

• Registered Users Posts: 18,561 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Engage with your solicitor. Advise them what you are planning to do and have them prepare for sale. There are some documents that they can request in advance. Get the house BER assessed if you don't have a BER cert.

Start looking for a new house. Once you have identified a new house, advise auctioneer of your situation and ask whether they would consider taking on your sale also. Go from there.

If the same auctioneer is involved they have skin in the game to ensure both transactions happen and may indeed be more favourable to you if you are bidding on the new house. I'd be fairly clear in my expectations.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

If you've had that little interest then the price is too high. It is lovely but it's on the ballybough end of the Clonliffe Rd, not the Drumcondra end and you can buy a similarly size house in other parts of the inner north suburbs that are perceived as nicer.

Yes, it needs some bits and bobs done to it, but it's not worth you doing them, you won't get the money back. EA can point to neighbours parking setup as an example of what could be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Thanks for that. Currently, we're sticking with a plan to get the broker/solicitor/auctioneer lined up but to not take any unnecessary action (obviously broker will help get mortgage approval) until we find a house we want to go in on which could take a while. It will be separate auctioneers due to moving county (unless maybe it a chain of auctioneers with branches in both areas).

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

How long after power is connected to a new build in an estate is the BER cert and homebond completed on average? Power was connected in September but still no invite to snag. Was told a completion date at the end of November but unlikely now I would say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Update on our situation:

vendors of the house we are buying have been outbid once again on a house! That’s 5 houses in the last 5 months!

I don’t know if it’s being a twat or not but we’ve given them two weeks to get sorted or we’re pulling out.

we’ve missed out on some houses in those 5 months that we could’ve bought but hung on for this house. Also you have to factor in we’ve had to go sake agreed twice on our home so that we could hang on.

we’ve come to the end of our rope!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭theboringfox

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,915 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I think you’ve been waiting long enough. I’d start looking at other houses now and wouldn’t feel one bit bad about pulling out if needs be. I can’t remember if you said the contracts are exchanged or not but you’ve no guarantees they won’t delay further even after they’re signed.

No contracts at all. That’s what rang alarm bells at the start. We weren’t told the first house had fallen through until we chased. We had 5 weeks of no contact from them or their solicitor to ours only the initial contact when sale agreed.

since then it’s been a comedy of errors! Outbid and underbids accepted for cash buyers etc! The house they’re bidding on now is empty so if that ACTUALLY works out and I can’t foresee any major delays but it needs to be done in 10 days !

Also I can’t see the bidding lasting that long so should have answers quickly. It’s €15k over asking with our vendors the highest bidders as of yesterday. Cash buyer is at €10k over asking. Having the house empty should help. If it was lived in the cash buyer is probably ahead regardless of the price.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,915 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I'd be gone tbh. What's to say they won't issue contracts this week so as to stop you guys pulling out and then drag their heels closing?

being honest we should’ve gone a month ago at least. Now our AIP is out of date on the 4th of December. So if we pull out and don’t find a new house before that date we have to go through everything again to get AIP!!! That’s what our EBS advisor told us! We can receive a new loan offer before that date that’ll last 6 months!

I always thought that AIP was gone once a loan offer was given!

We’ve asked for contracts on numerous occasions and they haven’t given them so I can’t see them doing it now. We actually viewed the house they want now a few weeks back. I rang that EA to officially pull out today. She knew the story and that we were keeping our options open. It seems that my solicitor is the solicitor for people selling that house…….

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

JohnnyF know the area well. I genuinely think your asking price is too high being honest. Take a look at 15 Foster Terrace around the corner from you, almost 200k in the difference (can park on both sides of Foster Terrace too). https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/15-foster-terrace-dublin-3-county-dublin/4727082 I know different house styles but 200 is massive when that one is turn key, both ballybough end of road too, wouldn't consider your house Drumcondra. (again used to live there). Also your property isn't on myhome only Daft, would it be worth getting it added to myhome?

There are a large number of 3 beds for sale in Dublin 3 atm, second hand market seems to have slowed in the area (perhaps rate rises). I'm not convinced car space is an issue, being so close to the city having a car isn't essential for city living.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭REFLINE1

House is in a flood zone? That could be a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

yeah, I dont disagree with you, 200k is a big difference, but those houses are very different. Like very very different. Alot of people are saying that the ballybough end has a bearing, it might do, but I can't move the house!

The killer on this is that every house we look at goes for at least 10% over asking where as ours is the opposite. I didn't set the price either, obviously the EA did but the market is not there maybe just right now. Hence the view of spending €10k to really push it next year. Its a risk that could backfire, but if we have nobody viewing, we have to do something!

interesting. Been there since 2008. The last big flood was in 2002 and our block of houses didn't flood. The remedial works on the tolka were carried out in 2004/2005, yet still in 2009 (due to big floods in other areas), they took Flood insurance away. I had it the first year, but the next year, they made a big song and dance about it. Still don't have flood cover, and hasn't been any issues since we moved in 15 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Flood risk and being unable to get flood insurance is a big sticking point, I think you need to lower the price.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Not easy JF, especially when estate agent has set expectations. I’d look at what’s sold close by recently and what EA sold it and get them in for opinion with view to going with them. Not bring in myhome is a biggie. I sold a property in D3 this year and I’m surprised by how much has come on the market since. Defo get a second opinion before going car spot would be my two cents.

Its on Myhome alright, just not under 'clonliffe' for some reason.

• Advertisement

ah ok I couldn't see it on map view, best of luck with it, not easy when it isn't moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,685 ✭✭✭✭banie01

We signed and returned contracts to our buyer on Wednesday. Awaiting their drawdown and deposit of funds to our Solicitor now.

Then it's redeem the balance of Mrs Banie01's mortgage and sort out the CGT calc.

We wish our former tenants all the best in what's been their home since 2015, and now it's theirs lock, stock & barrel. We will arrange a housewarming gift of a Home store voucher for them when sale closes.

That's us back to being a 1 house family and out of the landlord game for good. We were very lucky with our tenants, they've been there since we 1st let it out and we are delighted that we sold to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Recent weeks we completed purchase of new home followed few weeks later by sale of previous home.

We were looking for long time. I think in hindsight we were too focused on finding value and were chasing moving target. We had location as main factor so eventually accepted we were price takers. But at least we caught that same market selling too.

It made a huge difference we did not have to sell to buy. Bank was defacto able to get comfortable we could cover old house mortgage with rent so we could get 3.5x still. Always intended selling but meant better placed bidding as not in chain and made moving out more comfortable.

We just wanted some extra space as kids had come along since first bought and both now working from home for most of the week.

I can't describe the weight off my shoulders. Its amazing seeing kids with space to move around in and change in them. Under no illusions that new house is it and will be pouring money into it for years. But amazing to be done.

I loved checking in on boards to see how others getting on. Made me feel like was in it with others.

Anyway keep going everyone. It is worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Beigepaint

In general, for a new build, is it worthwhile getting extras done by the developer? Eg tiles, carpets, kitchen appliances, warddrobes. The developer said there are no choices and the stuff would match the show house which was lovely, and we aren't too pushed about getting our own specific tiles or paint colours until a few years down the road. I am leaning towards going with that as it would save us hassle to organise it ourselves after we move in and we have the money put aside to pay for it now.

The only concern is that it could be an opportunity for a developer to pick up some extra profit at my expense, eg charging 400 to install a oven that costs them 250.

Does anyone have any advice on this?

I am noticing few houses who initially when brought on the market 6 months ago, were flying off the shelf with bidding above. Now coming back on the market with different estate agent. So they didn't fly off the shelf.

I wonder if the estate agents have some agreement between them like if you don't sell X house, I will take over in months later.

Anyone else spotting houses coming back for sale, houses who apparently were flying off shelf in days?

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 34 joebert80

To clarify.. A number of properties recently sold between a certain range. The price I listed at was at the bottom of this range. And also well below another unit that was on the market at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I've not really been paying attention since buying, but I have seen this quite a lot. I'd say that in the case of a post-bidding war overshoot of tens of thousands, the "successful" bidder often realises what they've done when the emotional side of things calm down. Our good friend Auctionera seems especially adroit at generating sales well above the asking price that eventually fall through. It's a good example of how this egregious c**p from EAs is bad for sellers as well as buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I would get tiles done if it's on offer. At least they'll be included in the snagging list if the tiler does a poor job. No harm in asking if you can provide the tiles, if there's ones you like in particular.

Painting is up to you. Personally I would do it myself.

RE electrics, can you provide the appliances and have the builder fit them? I would much prefer to choose exactly the appliances that I want, not rely on whatever the builder provides.

• Advertisement

Living the life

Advertisement