Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firearms Removed over argument with neighbour

Options
  • 12-11-2023 3:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Looking for some advice my firearms have been removed and held in an RFD by Garda over some verbal alterations with a neighbour of mine who I feel knew what they were doing when trying to start arguments with me. I never threatened him in any way whatsoever, I never started the arguments and I also never called the Gards it was always him. Losing my guns has honestly affected me a lot and my wife has even said it to me. I met with the super a few weeks back and he said he is not willing to re issue any license to me until there is a 12 month period of no call to them or confrontations in any way. Can they do this when I am not the aggressor nor have I ever been I have never had any intentions of hurting anyone let alone my neighbour even tho we really don't get on.

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭freddieot

Sorry to hear this. Get yourself some proper legal advice is the best option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They can do it as they have.

When firearms are involved (being the owner of them is involvement enough) AGS will always take extra precautions.

Without knowing the full history of the disagreement, and here is not the place to thresh that out, no one can say anything with any sort of conviction.

The other issue is you are not asking about what could happen, you are questioning what has happened.

Franky, and possibly rather bluntly, the event is over and the Super has acted. No court would go against a Super in an apparent public safety issue (and when one party is the owner of firearms AGS may consider firearms being involved).

The best advice you have been given is from @freddieot when they told you seek professional legal advice as any opinion given here is only opinion and any attempt to offer legal advice goes against the forum and site rules and will be deleted if posted.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭LONG DRAG

If your a member of NARGC to to them, they will help with legal advice.

Play it cool.👍

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Mississippi.

When you think about the amount of false and malicious complaints made against members of an Gardai by criminals, you would think that they would be very aware of trouble makers doing this.

Could you look to make an official statement about your neighbour making a false statement to them ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Gardai are wide to all the spoofers out there

They don't believe much of what they hear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

As said.Lawyer up!! This is not a situation you could pre-empt and willingly remove the firearms .Only cheerful point if any is the Super has said he will re-issue the licenses within 12 months.On that point has he issued you with a WRITTEN Revocation or any paperwork stating his reasons for doing so and his intent Re the situation? You will need that for your lawyer.So get that no matter what as you need this for your solicitor to begin work on.Oral statements from a Garda Superintendent...Not worth the paper it's written on!

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement