Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Woke Society? **Mod Warning In Post #435**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You wouldn’t, because the concept just isn’t a factor. The suicide rates among men is used as leverage to promote the concept of toxic masculinity, because what’s the most catastrophic consequence of not believing in this intangible concept? Apparently it doesn’t bode well for anyone’s future who doesn’t buy into in the concept.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭Shoog

No jack I pointed that out earlier than you tried to make your point, and you didn't make the point you thought you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

An error we always have to look out for in statistics and other areas of scientific study is looking at single factors in isolation.

Someone could make the claim that Macho Culture reduces Suicide Rates for example. And then another person could say "But community X has a lot of macho culture and suicide is just as high if not higher there!!".

The issue there would be both of them would be essentially wrong. The factors that drive suicide are many - and any solution to it will have to account for that. Perhaps some elements of "macho" or "masculine" culture - similar to the "default aggressiveness" I earlier wrote I try to instill in my children - can reduce suicide. But other factors can at the same time drive it up too. So it is difficult to gauge the actual effect of one single change in one single factor.

So sure - a macho culture in the traveler community may indeed (I sure don't know) be pushing suicide rates in that culture down for all we know. Or up for all we know. But the suicide rates in that culture could still be high or higher than average because of any number of other factors. Such as education standards - or being a minority culture - living conditions - access to services like law that the rest of us take for granted - and much more.

All that said however I think the term "macho culture" is very vague and nebulous and general. I am not even sure what it means. And I am not as yet convinced that what it means in one culture such as - lets say white collar society - will be the same as what it means in the Traveller Community. In fact I am somewhat convinced it absolutely does not mean the same thing - having only recently listened to a podcast the Two Norries did with one member of that community. The impression I got from him of his culture is starkly different from the "macho culture" I might think of from, for example, a group of gym bunnies or the people I meet on the MMA and Jujitsu mats.

So that makes it even harder to gauge whether "macho culture" has any influence on suicide rates - let alone suicide rates between two different communities. We would have to A) define exactly what the term even means and then B) ensure the definition applies equally to both communities. Then we have made only the first step towards answering that question and making a useful comparison between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭tesla_newbie

Well made points , however, I was merely illustrating how more obvious macho cultures can be excused from woke received wisdom ( toxic masculinity being the cause of suicide in men in this instance) when they have a victim status profile ( like travellers do )

the overarching point being that pseudo intellectual classifications like “ toxic masculinity “ are purely political- ideological terms , any medical professional who employs the term should be dismissed as they are politicising psychology

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭taxAHcruel

My own feeling is that any medical professional should be able to use any term they like in their writings or papers - so long as they very clearly define what they mean by that term. As I wrote earlier many people seem to have many concepts about what the term "Toxic Masculinity" even means. I myself used to happily use the term and my definition conformed to the Oxford one. And I for a short time found it a useful term.

However I quickly realized that too many people had completely other notions what the term even meant. And as you say above - it seems to me Bliss, who seemingly coined the term, had dubious motives for doing so. So I have mostly abandoned ever using the term.

If a medical professional is using the term as I was however - to describe the toxic effects of expecting males to conform to some standard or notion of masculinity - then I would not automatically write that professional off. Because that is a good use of the term. And I do suspect strongly that that is toxic and I do suspect strongly it lends itself to suicide.

I just question their wisdom using it given how misunderstood the term has become.

Certainly in my own subjective and anecdotal experience - which is not a scientific study - certain aspects of masculinity and machoness and aggression can have very positive effects on depression and suicide and well being. Powerfully so. IF implemented correctly and explored correctly. There are so many stories of Marital Arts and so forth turning people around from the abyss and reducing depression and anxiety and poor self esteem for example. And the culture Jokko Willink describes in the Navy Seals too for another example.

Openly expecting a given man/male to conform to that masculinity and machoness and aggression for no other reason than they are a man/male however - not so much. That's where it gets toxic. But clearly we need a better term than "toxic masculinity" to describe that now that term has been buggered so badly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

He’s a Gary Cooper who stormed Omaha beach apparently, a true hero

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

I'm not about to wade through 37 pages here but whatever happened to " I have a penis, I'm a man.......I have a vagina, I'm a woman"......you cannot put a Mercedes badge on a Lada and call it a Mercedes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I would agree but it is telling that in a thread about a woke society, the complaints always come back to how Trans people should be treated. If we went back to not directly addressing Trans people would we not be a woke society any more?

My question to anybody who told me that they were "trans" would be "what were you born with between your legs, did you have a dick or a fanny"

I think it is fair enough to not agree with Trans ideology but I dont know why you would bother to insult someone to their face. Trans people have existed for decades- I think the mantra live and let live should apply.

• Advertisement

Why would you think that asking that question would insult somebody if they tried to tell me they were "trans" which if you pardon the pun is "a load of boll*cks"

You could ask them if the were born a man or a woman. That is just talking to someone like a fellow human being.

Whataboutery- you can’t refute the central point so you try a distraction. Give over.

they/them/theirs

And you don’t think that’s rude.

So honestly, your opinion isn’t worth much to me.

But to the central point of this thread, no one is going to cancel you for saying it. You aren’t going to jail. Some people will jus think you’re a crass bigot for reducing people to their genitalia.

So no, Ireland isn’t a “woke” society where people are afraid to say what they think.

they/them/theirs

I would more than likely get an answer like "well I was born a man...but"

As i have said before it is ok to disagree with Trans ideology but I just see no need in being uncivil to other people. It just damages the Anti- Woke cause.

It seems the Trans Issue is being talked about 90% of the time when wokeness is being referred to. The wokeism of the day thread that existed on boards for a while just seem to be all about slagging off Trans people.

I know it’s that simple for you. That’s what makes you a crass bigot in my eyes. People should be treated politely with compassion even you think being trans is “a load of bollocks” doesn’t mean you should be rude

See how we can both express our opinions freely? That’s the central point of this thread we lost a long time ago. We can absolutely have a Frank exchange of views. Woke doesn’t mean shutting down discussion, it means disagreeing with bigots.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 33,403 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Arrogant would probably be a better word to describe someone who thinks they know someone they've only just met better than that person knows themselves.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

For someone who doesn't like them, you seem to know a lot about travellers.

I agree with your point about woke being inconsistent with the causes they persue (although I've never known them to get involved in traveller issues, but then it's not a group I know much about) but there's a difference between being macho and toxic masculinity.

Woke tends to be against said toxic masculintiy, not against men. There's a feminist fringe of it that would be more guilty of misandry, but it's hardly representative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,324 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

that does that mean? an under 18 cant consent to getting a tattoo , yet you have no problem with drugs where no medical condition exists and where in other countries under 18's can have their tits yeeted?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

If a person has been through rigorous assessment and therapy and the medical professional decided;

• this individual has a high chance of attempting suicide if they worsen their gender dymorphism
    • That individual is going to eventually seek gender reassignment surgery

Then I would think that professional should prescribe puberty blockers in the best interest of the person under their care.

Couldn't this argument be made to withhold any form of medication from a minor?

Some people want to second guess experts in their field. They imagine they have better knowledge of the issues.

Well if knowing what I was born as is arrogant then so be it.

It seems ethical because the decisions aren’t made simply by the parents or the child. Medical professionals are involved.

they/them/theirs

Not relevant to the argument presented. I didn't say knowing yourself, I said knowing someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

A Dutch study showed that two-thirds of transgender sucides were in active and post treatment, hormonal and surgical.

There was a whole clinic full of medical professionals shut down in the UK recently for improper use of hormone blockers in teenagers. Many others have been suspended and are facing law suits. In one extreme case "medical professionals" sent a youth to his death. Malpractice, media cover ups and blatant lies is rampant when it comes to transition sucides and transition regret.

The problem there appears to be the practioners, not the actual medicine, no?

• Advertisement

Care to share the study you reference, sorry but not taking your word for it.

It goes against just about every study ever done on transgender treatment.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement