Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,852 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Rte is a government propaganda machine... how couldn't it be, very small country, lots of money, lots of connections...also who controls what funding rte receive? The Government, lol! Then again if you were the government, wouldn't you want to control the narrative?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

you know for a fact that everyone in RTE is on a gravy train? https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2022/0829/1319476-average-pay-at-rte-totalled-60-686-last-year/ don't conflate the high earners with everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Anyone with 20 years or more should grab the redundancy package and run.

Not all of them are. But all of them have benefitted from overstaffing and many from overpayment and no doubt ridiculous pensions etc... if they are worth that in the real world, they won't have problems finding employment...

• Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

RTE has to cut costs and bring them more in line.

Balancing the books is not required, again, RTE is a public service broadcaster, it is not supposed to be a commercial entity. It does not have to earn back every euro it spends. It is absolutely fine for RTE to be spending more than it's earning, it's supposed to produce content even if it's not profitable. It's supposed to fill the gaps in the market that the commercial broadcasters cannot or will not.

Of course, when a lot of the money is going on high salaries for what RTE call "talent" then there is legitimate issue there.

There is no benefit to anyone to ripping RTE to shreds, while the public is looking for change I think the idea of RTE being gutted and ripped to shreds doesn't really exist outside a minority of cranks who have an odd dislike of RTE and always have and always will.

RTE can refuse redundancy to anyone. If they don't get 400 people who they are willing to lose then they can just go to compulsory to get the remainder they need.

I would imagine that tenure in RTE is quite high, so they'll have a lot of people looking for redundancy. I think RTE will likely be able to pick and choose who they want to let go, and will have little issue making up the 400.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

RTE is not a public service broadcaster in the traditional sense of the term. It uses a hybrid model which sees it active in the commercial sphere and competing with commerical Irish broadcasters for advertising revenue. For the first decade or so of the operation of RTE's TV service, it had almost no competition except from UK channels that could be received on the coast and the border. The advent of cable television in the 1970s changed that and it was facing more competition. The pirate radio stations of the late 1970s and 1980s created even more competition as did the satellite TV channels from the late 1980s onwards.

RTE has also had to compete with streaming services with RTE Player. Because of the licence fee funding and bailouts, RTE has had the luxury of surviving when a commercial station facing the same competition would have failed long ago. Like a drip-fed junkie hooked on cash, RTE has the licence fee and bailouts feeding its habit. The rubbish about RTE having to pay its "talent" so well to prevent them begin poached by commercial broadcasters has been show to be just that. Tubridy has been gone from RTE for months and, to use Terry Prone's apt phrase, the offers haven't been coming over the phone for the Ryanstone cowboy.

Despite RTE's aspirations to be BBC on the Dodder, it is not. Commerical stations can't afford to lose audiences and would be faster to get rid of "talent" that were losing numbers. RTE can because is is funded by the licence fee, bailouts and commercial advertising. RTE and its hybrid model has skewed the Irish media market because commercial Irish broadcasters can't compete with RTE's deep, taxpayer-funded, pockets. For RTE, like the end of the movie "Goodfellas", it's over. Tubridy will have to be content with egg noodles and ketchup on the Alan Partridge circuit.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

I don't agree with RTE being ripped to shreds but it has to accept that it needs to be a smaller organisation with a focus on news and current affairs.

What is loss making at RTE and why are costs so high. They've not bothered to address these matters in a serious way.

Instead they decided to do inject 3 million into a failed musical, outside of the remit of RTE in my view.

This cavalier attitude with money in RTE is what the public want addressed. Claire Byrne getting almost 300 grand for a radio show she's fairly crap at is continuously ludicrous.

I would imagine RTE announcing that they are going to make themselves 20% smaller is them accepting they need to be a smaller organisation. 20% is a lot.

I don't see why RTE has to focus solely on news and current affairs either. If anything it would be excellent to see RTE produce more Irish dramas etc, whether that be directly or by commissioning from outside.

RTE should be split up. A PSB RTE should be government funded. Let the "talent" find its own level in the commercial world with the commercial side of RTE spun out as a separate entity. As has been demonstrated by the demand for the formerly famous Tubridy, RTE's "talent" seems to be massively overpaid.

The leaking of the details tonight has really screwed up any attempt to handle this problem.

Regards...jmcc

The leaking of details tonight makes no difference whatsoever to the handling of this problem. What a bizarre notion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Median household income in Ireland in 2022 were a little over €44k. Of the 1700 staff, 283 earned less than €40k.

The average wage was just over €60k.

Gravy train doesn't really refer to wages alone, it's wages in relation to effort. It's quite clear from RTEs output that they have been operating a high wage/low effort model for quite a while.

It doesn't really work like this. The mire that RTE is in right now is not a reflection on the general staff at RTE and their level of effort. They don't make the big decisions, they don't set direction.

Job cuts need to be handled properly with all those affected being in the loop. The partial leaking of details like this only causes chaos and upset for those who will be affected. The unions are already angry with how things have transpired and have issued statements and comments.

This is an attempt at a reorganisation of RTE and the people involved have only partial details that they, ironically, picked up from the media. This has caused a lot of problems. The details were meant to be presented to RTE staff tomorrow. Instead of an RTE audience wishing to find out what will happen, Bakhurst will be faced with an angry and worried audience that will be concerned about their jobs and the future of RTE. It really isn't that difficult to understand how badly this was managed. These are real people not bits and bytes. They deserve to be treated with some respect.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 47 rdser

The most important question is does the cuts address the deficit fully. It's the only metric.

To me they look to be aiming at the low hanging fruit, sell a bit of land, let 400 go etc.. but cutting 2xm, pulse and the digital stations isn't going to save a whole pile, nor is getting rid of rte+1...is it?

And what is the plan for the current contractors....they seem to be where the money on 'talent' is being spent. Also how much contingency is needed to solve the issues around bogus self employment. They have said they have money out aside for this but haven't said how much.

It would be very interesting to know how much correspondents from the indo and Irish times etc are getting and why. They seem to be on about every topic, even when rte has their own correspondent for politics, finance, health etc. why do they need people from the indo and times when they have George lee and co?

There would want to be a lot more to this plan than what the indo have outlined, or it's just more of the same really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

RTE is not a commercial entity and has no remit to be profitable but it absolutely should be running to its budget and not making losses on its day to day operations. There also needs to be a recognition of what is an RTE Asset and what 'The Talent' brings to the table.

Keeping it on point with the **** Toyman, the 9.30PM Friday Time Slot on RTE1, The Late Late Show brand, the Studio, the Production Staff, etc... all brought to the table by RTE, the audience are wined and dined (well a few snacks I'm sure) by RTE. RTE needs to assign value to all of these things in the creation of a revenue generating show rather than attributing it to the bell end reading form the teleprompter.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,108 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I dont recall any qualms from RTE discussing redundancies in other companies, similarly ahead of official releases.

What goes around comes around.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Still no idea why RTE is not scrapping 2FM

By the way the redundancy program is noise, the people will walk out one door with a huge package, take 2 weeks holidays, and walk in the other door as a contractor which RTE will require because of a specific job they need....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

How many of them work a 35 hour week for their salary?

Also don’t forget all the allowances they get, they’re probably not included in that figure.

Some of it is though - watch the 6.1 and rarely is there a full programme without some sort of **** up, like the wrong VT, failure to cut or coming back too soon. While management set direction, there clearly is inertia and an acceptance of below mediocre as the appropriate level of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I have first hand experience of that some years back, RTE had the story before any of the staff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

The 60k figure is very odd. A significant number are on over 100k so an average of 60k suggests a lot are on very low salaries which I find hard to believe. As I said already, are they full time 35 hour week figures?

Definitely not an Alanis Morrissette style ironic. But that's Journalism.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

It's well known that the ratings for RTE2 are atrocious outside of the occasional sport coverage.

I would hazard a guess that RTE2 is loss making and isn't justified anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Didn't rte try redundancy before and it went nowhere, hard to google it now as its all the current stuff

Was it established if these hundreds of contractors are included in the 1800 staff or on top, or are they fudging the numbers again

These hypocrites in rte keeping banging on about the housing crisis, at the same time, they support all measures to keep the status quo. Low density housing etc. Let them sell pf more of their land for housing... hopefully there are no badgers on site...

While I note your skepticism, I am absolutely sick of hearing about this far-right bogeyman that the great RTE is protecting us from. There is no national right wing media to speak of in this country. None. All (RTE included) sing from the same centre left hymn sheet.

If a couple of tiny online only one man band right wing outlets are a threat, well maybe we do need some mainstream diversity of thought. That's the only diversity that's not acceptable though.

In any case, I'm not saying RTE should go off air during a rapid reorganization, but that it should be given a bit of leeway if it's output is a bit chaotic during the transition. It should be able to cope because management feel that they can manage long term without those staff.

As I said, the real reason they want to take so long is to draw it out so that momentum gets lost and they can retain their bloated size.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

What gravy train are the BCO's on? the Admins, the Schedule staff, the accounts payable staff, The programme acceptance viewers, The ISL and subtitle providers, the post room staff ,thee facilities guys. All leechers yeah. FFS this is peoples livelyhoods we're talking about. It's like sacking all HSE staff cause it can't be managed by the guys being paid to manage it!

DC pensions for staffsine 90's. FFS at least know what your talking about before shiteing on. Taking pleasure in ordinary workers loosing jobs go you. Cabbage

Holy **** that's one weird way of screwing things to suit your narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Do you honestly feel that their is a huge difference between Strategy 2024 and this "New Direction".

I currently don't see it.

• Reduction in staff over a set number of year
    • Reduction in the number of broadcast service (all of which will have to be signed of on by the minister)
    • Move of production from one part of the country to another
    • "Continued" reduction of top pay
    • potential sale of land
    • invest more in digital and online services

I'd be surprised if they don't ask for the CO to move to the NCH.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement