Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,993 ✭✭✭RoTelly

It looks very bad. If it is such a bland document why keep it a secret? Who are they protecting.

Anyone know when RTÉ will appear before the Oireachtas Joint Committee on Media or the PAC?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 34,816 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They tried 'commercially sensitive' but now the things they want to hide are 'priviliged'...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Take the document off them and then it might just find it’s way into the hands of a politician who might like to read it out in the Dail

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Imagine the scorn to which such a statement would be greeted with by Prime Time Investigates were they researching a firm or an organization?

#TruthMatters

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,341 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

"We have to pay the big stars the big salaries"

• Advertisement

If I was Mr. Bakhurst I'd be scheduling a meeting with Fuffy, Byrne et all in the morning and discussing their imminent 40-60% pay cuts...

*Fuffy is obviously a typo, but I like it, and you know who I mean... so I'm leaving it....

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

and if any of them don't like it they're free to seek bogus self-employment elsewhere

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

The story is that Kevin tried that and Joe took great offence. With Joe going on a work to rule, taking all his (many) holidays and was not on air for weeks.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think Joe has indicated this is his last contract soI would not be surprised if he retires after the end if this one. Either way the rates will be reduced.

However it's not just the contracted staff on serious lolly. Senior journalist's are on 170+K/ year, George Lee, Aine Lawlor etc

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,382 ✭✭✭Tow

Mr Lee annoys me. I voted for him when he ran in the elections. Within a few months he packed in the TD job and was back in RTE. The story doing the rounds is Mrs Lee was not happy living on a TD's salary of (then) 90k and told him to go back.

It was my biggest waste of a vote!

The way I look at RTE is:

A: There are a handful of people who names we know, who are on big money.

B: There are 1,800 staff or 2,500 depending on were you get your figures. TV as we were brought up with is a dieing medium. Technology has improved greatly over the years. There are one man shows on YouTube churning out quality product that would take team of 100+ in RTE. They just have too many staff. What are they all doing? They have no salary/grade structure and I believe no organisation chart.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭bigroad

Totally agree,I would say a fifty percent reduction in staff is quiet possible.

like is what was said,some of the channels on youtube have fantastic content ,good sound ,good picture,good editing and free.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

By all accounts they have twice as many in their Radio and TV studios as independent broadcasters would have.

I just think there's a complete inability for change. Maybe unions, maybe management or a public service attitude of the bare minimum to get paid.

I just think there's a complete inability for change. Maybe unions, maybe management or a public service attitude of the bare minimum to get paid.

Nail on the head.. How could they ever change themselves... They are turkeys and they aren't going to vote for Christmas...

The bare minimum should be a cull of about 40% of staff, and those that are lucky enough to be kept around, should be looking at a minimum of 20%-30% salary reduction for those at the lower end, and rising incrementally to 60%-70% for those at the higher end (€150k+)..

And when the unions get involved with their mouths frothing, threatening strike action... let them at it... strike away and see how much they are really missed.... and how much the public really care about them....

They know they can't strike because it'll backfire catastrophically on them.... and they'll have zero public support.

Remember when the Tubridy scandal broke, Emma O'Kelly lead a load of staff out to the carpark for what? To protest?, to show their disgust? B0ll0x! it was to protect themselves and nothing more... it was pathetic....

"We're all hard workers and we don't deserve this"... yes you might be, but you are all paid handsomely for your 'hard work'... you're all part of the problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Can the Irish govt allow a thousand odd disgruntled ex rte staff loose on the streets of Dublin. Not sure about that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Just listening to an interview on news at one with Brendan Gloster about cost saving.

Irony overload!

The other and perhaps more plausible story (I'm sure he and his wife knew what a TD's salary was before he decided to run) was that he expected to be appointed to the front bench straight away, when told he'd have to serve his time on the backbenches he said f this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Where is George Lee now?

He is one of these Correspondents who pops up every now and then, and even if something is happening in his area and he's on holiday's he not there to file a report.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Ironically, he was more qualified than that school teacher/TD Noonan when it came to Economics and business. Think that Lee is the Doom and Gloom Climate change correspondent for RTE. He'll probably be sent to Iceland if that volcano erupts in the next few days. On the upside, the Icelanders might also escape a visit from Tubridy to their book conference next week.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

He's the Environment Correspondent with RTE,moved from Agricultural Correspondent because of his obvious bias as Financial Correspondent presumably.

Very little George can't do apparently and RTE seem determined to exploit all his talents.

Surprised you haven't been subjected to any of his many lectures on what we're all doing wrong with the environment.

God forbid RTE employ people who know their remit as a correspondent (kinda like politics in this country) - what qualifications has he held at any position he's held in RTE?

He's just a lifer in RTE who does very little for a very nice wage and can never be sacked and when he wanted to try politics RTE welcomed him back when he realised he had to work for less wages.

Though he is very suited to the climate doom propaganda with that depressing voice

As @Hotblack Desiato said above - he thought he was a shoo-in for the front benches and when told you have to earn the position he went off sulking back to RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What a waste of 170 k a year....

The researchers are some of the main assets in RTE as they make people like Tubridy and the rest of them look smart. Kenny was smart enough to be able to do some of his own research. Without a team of researchers, some RTE "talent" would be a lot less impressive.

Regards...jmcc

A virtual "cup of tea"?

"Former RTÉ director general Dee Forbes agreed to guarantee payments to Mr Tubridy in discussions with the then Late Late Show presenter’s agent Noel Kelly."

Regards...jmcc

It gets worse:

RTE has a lot of very serious questions to answer and the PAC should compel Forbes to appear.

Regards...jmcc

DEE FORBES and MOYA DOHERTY to announce new RTÉ Strategy 2024 tomorrow.

The DG and Chair will continue with what they have started.

ENDS.

______

Yesterday

Just reading the coverage from the Irish Times and this stood out: "A new RTÉ news app will be developed by 2025." 2025? That's not a typo.

Regards...jmcc

And you wonder how they waste money, something that takes a few weeks takes a few years but should know better with t the rte player

• Advertisement

Surprised they didn't mention developing their own AI now that AI is a big issue for the technology journalists and the happy-clappies. :) RTE Player was a clusterfsck and would have been difficult to develop. RTE should have got a refund. A news app is a lot simpler.

Regards...jmcc

Advertisement