Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Show us those ratings? Top 20 or 30 programmes?

Almost 20 years on boards, more of a reader ( I've an average of 20 odd posts a year. mostly shite) This thread really saddens me (RTE Employee). Why do people have such strong convictions and espouse strong opinions on things they really have no clue about. Not all staff in RTE are on outlandish salaries. I understand there will be trolls and dopes but FFS sake we are talking about people with families and mortgages on average salaries that will pay the the price for deals they had as much knowledge of as the average man on the street. Are you really getting your jollies from this?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

thats it, RTE is an organ of the government, thats how they put out all their propaganda, without RTE they wouldn't have been able to close down the country during covid. They need RTE to set the narrative

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I think maybe you should ask yourself why people have such strong opinions on RTE, and perhaps a lack of sympathy for the self inflicted predicament it now finds itself in. Has there been any self reflection at RTE on where things have gone wrong?

The truth is RTE has represented poor value for money for a long time. It spun a threadbare yarn for years about how it needed to pay inflated salaries to retain "talent". It told us that "Truth matters" but would only give the public their version of the truth.

The main thing though is that RTE has alienated much of its audience. Trust in journalism has been weakening for some time but for RTEs output it has completely evaporated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I wonder which government department did the leaking?

• Advertisement

People are entitled to opinions on any organisation, especially when they are badly run. But ordinary staff who where unaware of "Talent "contracts (because that's what this is about really) and would have **** all say in them somehow they self inflicted this? Your asking these people to self reflect?

• Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

These are real people not bits and bytes. They deserve to be treated with some respect.

This sentence made me laugh anyway. Probably the most ironic sentence in this thread.

This thread is full of people calling for deep cuts to RTE, complaining that the announced cuts don't go far enough, suggesting all RTE employees are on a gravy train etc etc. The thread has become a general whinge-about-RTE thread.

To turn around now and feign concern for RTE staff and their futures because of how the cuts were announced is fairly contemptible.

The Tubridy scandal was the straw that broke the camels back - it's not really about Tubridy anymore, it's about a loss of trust and an alienated audience. RTE would likely have needed a bailout regardless, either through direct cash payment and/or the State buying acres of advertising. Traditional media is shrinking and has been for some time but the largesse at RTE continued. Did anyone think to wonder if it was sustainable or were they all out for a slice of the action?

All staff play a role in a companies culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The Indo story started out like that but it snowballed and showed RTE to be a highly dysfunctional company with a DG, board and management that were, to put it diplomatically, not doing a good job of managing such a large organisation. Had the Sindo/Indo understood the consequences of running that story, it probably would have spiked it.

Part of the problem for RTE, as an organisation, is that the Tubridy payments scandal made the minister look bad. I think that staggering the job cuts like this is one of the worst approaches because it will create a walking dead effect in RTE and it probably won't solve some of the fundamental problems that need to be addressed.

Regards...jmcc

Did anyone think to wonder if it was sustainable or were they all out for a slice of the action?

Sound stuff thanks, I'll let the postroom lads know tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,830 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Did anyone think to wonder if it was sustainable or were they all out for a slice of the action?

This is honestly just nonsense now. I have no idea how you think these things work.

Staff pressing for pay rises when the companies finances were in an unsustainable position was part of the problem. Unions too do need to be cognisant of the overall financial picture and RTEs financial woes were well known for a long time. They all thought that the State would step in because RTE was too important to fail. Where did they think the money was going to come from?

That said management should have said no.

highly dysfunctional company with a DG, board and management that were, to put it diplomatically, not doing a good job of managing such a large organisation

Unfortunatley there's not 400 of them being let go.

In the leaked plan there is no one being let go - it's a voluntary process over 4 years that is budget to cost €100k on average per person.

Assuming an even spread, an organisation the size of RTE would see 50ish retirements a year naturally. This may well suit many in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

RTÉ2 has see huge drops in audiences in the last decade, outside of sports. So far this year they have had a 7%, this is largely down to GAA championships during the summer months, and in Sep and Oct having the RWC.

RTÉ2

• Oct - 7.17% - End of RWC
    • Sep - 9.03% - Start of RWC
    • Aug - 7.19%
    • July - 10.50% - GAA finals
    • Jun - 6.90%
    • May - 6.30%
    • Apr - 5.93%
    • Mar - 5.77% - Six Nations
    • Feb - 6.80% - Six Nations
    • Jan - 4.37%

RTÉ2 outside of sport is largely commercial in it output, a 4% in January just about beats VMT TWO.

BTW RTÉ2 outside of sport is largely filled with repeat imports from the BBC.

Here is this weeks Adult audience for RTÉ2, Top 20

• 1 URC Live Ulster v Munster 140k
    • 2 Sports Direct FAI Cup Final 139k
    • 3 Sports Direct FAI Cup Final 122k
    • 4 Champions League Live 106k
    • 5 Love In The Country 97k
    • 6 Home And Away 75k
    • 7 FILM: The Green Mile 73k
    • 8 Home And Away 64k
    • 9 Champions League Live 64k
    • 10 Grand Designs 58k
    • 11 The 2 Johnnies' 56k
    • 12 Home And Away 56k
    • 13 Derry Girls 54k
    • 14 Saturday GAA Live 53k
    • 15 Home And Away 51k
    • 16 URC Live 49k
    • 17 Frozen Planet 46k
    • 18 The Simpsons 46k
    • 19 URC Live 46k
    • 20 Champions League Live 46k
    Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• While it's not the most relevant thing, their cuts being highlighted seem to be to things that really can't be costing very much to run in the first place (or certainly shouldn't be)

RTE+1 is a delayed broadcast service. From a technical point of view, it really cannot be even a tiny bit challenging to run. Playout is entirely digital these days.

If Saorview's charging some ludicrous amount of money to carry it, it's something that should be looked at as there's so little on that platform I don't really see how it's viable.

RTE Gold, RTE Pulse etc can't be costing more than a community radio station to run. They're practically podcasting.

None of these items seem like the major costs. The issues are systemic bloat, not the end services. The costs are all too high for everything and from what I can see the people actually doing the majority of the broadcasting work (excluding a list of people on very high salaries) seem to be largely freelancers and people on quite poor T&Cs and relatively low income.

So, no doubt they'll immediately cut all the cheap services first as it creates a sense of doing something.

It's like when someone's household budget is totally out of control and they immediately decide to stop buying teabags or conclude it's all because they're not using a bagless vacuum cleaner or something utterly ludicrous.

Presumably they have to pay for rights to rebroadcast? I remember a few years ago reeling in the years wouldn't appear on +1 due to a rights issue.

The digital channels cost buttons to run. I remember reading some time ago that it was essentially jobbridge radio, with people looking for experience there and money terrible or non existent.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Why didn't they speak out before over the last number of years. Did they not see the shambles at the top?

I don't know why anyone in RTÉ would feel the need to argue at this late stage. Do you not understand that everyone has been in the same position over the years. Do you not see how lucky you are? Why get angry at posters on boards. Did you ever think to tell Dee Forbes what an absolute hames of RTÉ that she was making running the company?

Our arguments for and against RTÉ bare no relevance to the employees but to the mismanagement of RTÉ, yes it is terrible for their employees and I feel sorry for them.

Every year the salaries of the top ten presenters are published, when Pat Kenny left RTÉ said he got a loyalty bonus for finishing his contract, RTÉ published this fact.

But its not just about the "talent" and the deals that were made, its about all the cuts of the years, for no reason.

small things like repeats and repeats, small things like how do you have a 7 month day time show when you competition has a 12 month morning show, or why does the news room take such long holidays. Do you not see this? are you not aware of this?

Cuts to Drama, Cuts to Young People's, continually supporting 2FM.

No one asked for cuts we are asking for a proper service one that we can be proud of, now you all just want to make it about the poor little guy in RTÉ.

Well maybe turn up the the arguments and explain why it is so bad? Why they insist on 25m going to imported programming every year. There is a cut to be made.

You seem to think we don't understand. Well then its time to make us understand, because Dee Forbes do a great job of it now did she.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• They could start by chasing things like completely stop sponsoring events / projects / etc and stop spending on any external advertising. They've HUGE platforms themselves and have no need to be doing any of these things.

If they want to 'sponsor' anything it can be done by offering media partnership to arts, sports etc without any kind of costs to RTE.

However, the main thing they need to do is just trim the fat across the board and do so without impinging on core services.

I'd agree with exiting Montrose. The land is worth a ludicrous amount of money and there's literally no reason for RTE to be there. They could easily get far bigger, much more modern production space somewhere on the outskirts of Dublin - it wouldn't be as glamorous an address, but they don't need a glamorous address. TV production needs large sheds basically with sound stages and their studios are far too small and were built for old-fashioned low res tv. They could also use the cash to develop production facilities in Cork, on a far cheaper basis than they do things in Montrose too.

Studio facilities are usually not very glamorous at all, be it for film or tv. They're just big spaces.

If they do sell the land bank, they also need to not just lash the capital into paying current expenses and fail to modernise. That's what would worry me about that move. It would just give them a large wad of cash and they'd slowly (or rapidly) burn through it over 10-20 years.

The generals get the ideas but the poor bloody infantry gets the bullets.

The focus on the "talent" and their salaries has skewed the coverage. Being cynical about it, the 400 jobs being cut may be a reaction to that in that it is a nice round number and makes it seem like RTE management is taking the hard decisions but it is the management that needs to change. It all makes for nice headlines and the minister can pretend to be dealing with the problems of RTE. I'm not sure that RTE is fit for purpose and a lot of this is due to the safety blanket that the licence fee provided. It hasn't had to evolve at the same rate as the other broadcasters despite being in a highly competitive market. RTE can be quite innovative. I remember seeing a demo of an RTE digital TV service with an Internet connection back in the 1990s. This was when the problem of a feedback loop in Conditional Access/Pay TV was a major issue.

Most of the TV audience in Ireland is concentrated on the cable networks of the cities. That means that the competition is not just from Irish broadcasters. A public service broadcaster RTE would work. But I'm not sure that a commercial RTE without the luxury of the licence fee could survive on the same scale of RTE's current commerical operation.

2RN needs to be protected as critical national infrastructure. I remember when the then FF minister Sile DeValera wanted to get in on the IPO frenzy in the late 1990s and sell off some of RTE (It was quite a stupid idea). FF made a complete mess of the TE flotation and gave away critical national infrastructure to be plundered. Eircom never recovered from that. If 2RN is kept within RTE, for the moment, that's the least worst outcome.

Half-measures and the failure to address the serious issues like costs and management could still sink RTE even with the job cuts.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

"If they want to 'sponsor' anything it can be done by offering media partnership to arts, sports etc without any kind of costs to RTE."

Sounds like bartering. :)

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I do agree that there are most likely a lot of hard working staff that do not deserve the repercussions of this. It's the Tubs/Duffy)Byrne/O'Callaghan etc. gravy train that, while perhaps a small % in terms of wages/contract fees, brought the place into disrepute. Including Moya "Dee is the first woman DG, and a visionary" Doherty. She also being part of the independent companies sucking on the teat of RTE.

Tubs keeping €150k of our license fees, while simultaneously some politicians (surely not the general public,?) in Clifden who think he's worthy of putting their Xmas lights on, shows that some people still admire disgusting behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭20/20

Clifden had a population of 1,259 in 2022. Who cares if Tubs is turning on Christmas lights there.

Not exactly a metropolis

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭Karppi

Hasn’t he got some connection to a Clifden hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

RTE are the are their own worst enemys,running the place like a fiefdom where information is siloed and conditions hidden behind walls of self generated beaurocracy.

Very few people want to see folks losing their jobs, but the people who fund the station with their taxes deserve better than be taken for idiotsby RTE management and others.

I personally don't want to see job losses in the bulk of the workforce but sure as hell I want to see those who's actions precipitated this situation by their disastrous management styles and pay structures be brought to heel and cleared out if necessary.

The game is up and nothing but realistic reform will appease the taxpayer who has been ridden ragged by this lot for years.

Genuine change required now required, not window dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

That’s it, taxpayer has just been their ATM. I’d be very happy just to see a pure PSO station. They can keep their commercial side and give me the choice of having to pay for it or not. Would be happy to pony up for a PSO station that the government of the day didn’t have their hand in it. The ‘talent’ I can live with out.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

I laughed when Emma o Kelly was going on about holding an extraordinary union meeting about the Tubridy payments scandal. She said that colleagues were "crying down the zoom calls" over it.

So they were not even on the RTE campus they were working from home, surely they should be the first to be cut, I mean a TV channel should be a hands on job with minimal office and administration, how are so many of them working from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Do you actuley know what you are talking about, have you heard of computers. RTE staff are to be let go because an amount of them can work from home?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

In my experience over many years, “voluntary” redundancy packages favour those close to retirement or people who were considering quitting anyway- it doesn’t get rid of the people you actually want to see gone.

So this is all going to cost upwards of 40 million euro - so you’ll have a lot of experience gone (expensive experience yes but experience nevertheless) - but what will you be left with?

Id prefer to see an element of compulsory and voluntary redundancy in place here- there’s definitely units and areas who will no longer exist after certain stations or services are cut- make most of those compulsory unless there’s a need to retain skills.

For other areas implement new ways of working - reduce head count and do more with less people by working differently.

This voluntary redundancy scheme is a total scam and that’s before I see what mouth watering payment people will be given tax free just a couple of years off retirement.

Its totally false economy and we the taxpayers are picking up the bill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am sure the talent will take significant pay cuts to try and save some lower level jobs and retain services.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement