Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why wont die hard GAA fans admit football these days is muck?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

Each to their own!

I couldn't sit down and watch a full match anyway, far too long with nothing going on, and fellas rolling around making a big deal out of nothing.

And sadly, football is going to same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Two factors for me are:

Soft pitches at this time of year really slows down a game where the speed of it is based on players running with the ball. Hurling adapts somewhat at this time of year by pucking the ball long more often like the Kilcormac game on Sunday which was great entertainment with lots of "lashing the ball down the field".

Short uncontested kickout. The blanoet defence gets in place, team in possession is allowed work the ball up the field with cursory attempts by a forward or 2 that remain in the half to tackle or delay the attack. Ball is then worked over and back along the 45 probing for a gap. In the 2nd half Saturday night Trillick attacked the Cross kick out and it livened up the game massively. They also showed a bit more courage on the ball with taking on the man much more and got great joy from it, too often players especially at club are just stood up and turn back and pass out to the 45 again, fearful or losing possession.

Trillicks hand was forced a bit at half time as they were second best in a poor cautious game so they did need to do something different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

there is way more skill to soccer players passing the ball around than watching gaelic footballers hand passing the ball to each other under no pressure (anyone can hand pass it around, it takes zero skill)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭spakman

I could make the case that it's also quite easy to tap the ball to each other when there's no pressure on.

I know soccer players at premiership level are skillful, I'm not debating that.

I'm not debating anything really, I just gave my opinion that soccer is boring to watch. You don't have to agree with me, that's OK.

You said each to their own while saying soccer is $hite.

soccer is skillful at league of Ireland level not just premiership level, I watch league of Ireland players ping long passes to each other before matches, they can pin point a long pass ring onto their teammates foot, that shows the skill they have, hand passing can be done by anyone with hands.

most Gaelic football matches these days are horrible to watch and I played it for 20 years so im not anti GAA.

I went to 1 Gaelic football match this year but around 15 soccer matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Indeed, the FAI Cup final this weekend was a prime example of how the skill levels in the domestic game have noticeably improved in recent years, partially because the post-Brexit transfer rules mean LoI clubs are able to retain talented players for longer than was the case in the past. Of course, there are plenty of poor games also, just as there are in all codes, but the fear factor around losing possession and defensive mentalities aren't as all-pervasive as in Gaelic at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭megadodge

A person who lies is a liar.

That's telling the truth. Y'know, the opposite to what you were doing.

In another thread about 'Hurling - what's gone wrong and where do we go from here' (I'm noticing a trend here), you started spouting absolute, unadulterated sh*te about Leinster Final attendances. When I proved you wrong, what happened?

Nothing. The thread stopped.

Similar to here where somebody makes a simple request for proof (ie. truth) and is met with everything except said proof.

Whingers just love to whinge.

So obviously you go to your local soccer club's matches regularly to watch theses super-skilful athletes provide superb entertainment?

People need to compare like with like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

the league of Ireland is like with like to inter county football. I choose to go watch the soccer.

• Advertisement

Good for you. And I genuinely mean that. The amount of soccer 'followers' in this country who quite literally have never attended any soccer game in Ireland outside of an occasional international is laughable.

My "like with like" comment was made following a lot of comments about recent club games, which are obviously of a lower standard than county and played in the worst time of year weather-wise.

In my opinion, both are infinitely better to watch than soccer - at any level.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,057 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I used to travel country and county watching football. Id hardly watch a match on telly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Get a bit of sense dude, it’s obvious Gaelic Football is no longer the entertainment it was.

People don’t go to games with pencils and paper in their hands, dude.

ah I know, same lads walking around with bad Liverpool and man united tattoos and they are from Longford.

League of Ireland is on the up now though at last, no thanks to them.

we will agree to disagree on which is better to watch, I played Gaelic football for a long time and never soccer, only 5 a side but Im a soccer man really, always have been.

I do think if the right changes are made we can bring Gaelic football back to life, because the players are better than ever but they just aren't being allowed show the skills they have, because of the negative tactics most teams play.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

The tipperary thread died a death a couple of years ago because there was a guy posting the exact same types of attacks like you've done and the rest of us just left it .

Seriously?

So I point out another person lying and you describe that as an attack?

Obviously you think he should be just let lie to his heart's content then?

Post edited by megadodge on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I have always been astounded, regarding gaelic football, how the fans insist on the GAA implementing rule changes when tactical trends become dominant.

I think the biggest problem with gaelic is that tactically, it is a very naive game. The way the game was played in the late 1990s, prior to the puke football era, was almost exactly the same as it was in the 1890s.

Compare that with soccer, for example, where the game can't go more than a decade or so without some sort of tactical revolution.

Football is muck these days because none of the coaches/managers have the nous to out-tactic the current tactical status quo. We just need smarter coaches to honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭1373

Is it more difficult to try new things out in GAA when knockout comes on a lot quicker verses the premier league ect where you're playing every weekend and can adjust to what you see and change something that is suiting your team

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In the 1890's there were extra posts on the goal line, likey they still keep in Australian Rules. Whichever team scored the most goals were the winners, regardless of the number of points. Teams could decide to field any number of players from 14 to 21 at the start of the game. And there was this nice touch at the start of games:

"The captains of the teams shall toss for choice of sides before commencing play, and the players shall stand in two ranks opposite each other in the centre of the field until the ball is thrown up, each holding the hand of one of the other side."

Apart from those small details it was probably exactly the same as now. Not.

Holy camole🙄!

The game is pure crud as played now, and you come up with this!

Unbelievable Jeff..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

They’re debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin instead of looking at the real issues. It’s like some people are immune to thinking abstractly.

Yeah, these drones are everywhere Liv….places like West Kerry seem to be full of these retired teacher types, who think they know the answer to everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭randd1

Designated forwards is the way to go. For the referee to know who's who, these players would be wearing armbands (similar to the captains armband) of a different colour to their main jersey colour (eg the Dublin forwards wearing yellow arm bands, Tyrone wearing green, Kerry wearing light blue). Six players are put down as designated forwards. This means they can't touch the ball in their own half of the field, they have to stay up front. This would mean that the opposition would have to keep players back to keep an eye on them, and if they committed numbers to the attack, would be vulnerable to a counter-attack. And would almost certainly mean a greater focus on attacking play, and a more open field. A bit out there but it would force teams to have some semblance of an attacking plan, and trusting your defenders to defend rather than simply relying on massing the numbers.

Of course there's a more obvious way for improving the need for attacking play within the rules that already exists; a shot clock. Teams have 45 seconds from when they gain possession to get off an attempt for a score. You could combine the shot clock with the kick out having the go beyond the 45, the mark only being between the two 45's, allowing a direct pick off the ground, and not allowing teams to go back into their own half once the passed the half way line would really put an emphasis on attacking play. The main downside of a shot clock would be you'd need another official to keep an eye on the timing, and judge when the possession begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shockframe

Seemed like a decent weekend of games.

Enjoyable connacht semi final. Close leinser semi finals and a cracker in kerry intermediate.

Or is that type of talk not allowed around here?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

On the designated forwards: would you also have designated backs who can't touch the ball in the attacking half?

On the shot clock: would you be concerned that this would make the game even more defensive, as blanket defences would become almost impenetrable with the additional difficulty for the attacking team?

I wouldn't have designated defenders for two reasons. One, allowing teams to launch all out attacks against while the opposition have designated forwards, would mean they could possibly over-run the opposition defence, meaning it would actually promote attacking football and there's a possibility we'd see more goals/scores, which I'm sure we can agree would be good to see in the game. Anything that allows for and promotes positive attacking play can only be good for the sport. Two, committing superior numbers to attack it's an inherently risky because if you commit the numbers the attack breaks down, then the opposition has the numbers up front to really punish you. Sport needs to have a risk/reward element in it, and if the potential of the rewards is increased, so should the potential of the risk. The idea of the opposition breaking down the attack and having the numbers up front for serious counter-attack would add some excitement to each attack knowing the risk involved.

Also if teams keep their defenders back to mind the designated forwards, then it means a more open field in general, there's a big difference in space available in trying to break down 8 players instead of 14. And if teams do keep their defenders back, we might see more on one battles and proper man-marking, the great individual contests, something which is fascinating to watch in itself, and in my view is not as prevalent and certainly not as obvious with the mass defence in place.

On the shot clock, sadly that's a very real possibility, but the one thing it would ensure is a commitment to attack in order to get a score, and arguably more of a chance of a quick and effective counter attack once the clock hits the time, which would be the point. And if it wasn't working out, you could always get rid. You're right though, maybe it would simply lead to a terrible ultra-defensive game.

I honestly don't know what can be done, these are all just ideas plucked out of mid air. I'm a hurling man first and foremost, but I do love watching football at times, I'm a fan of the sport. And as a fan I'm worried about the mire it seems to be in, and would love to see the sport hit it's potential as not just a sport but as a form of entertainment too. An exciting game of football can be something else, sadly the sport seems to be hitting a point where those type of game are very much a rarity.

Given absolute authority? I'd trial the designated forwards thing in the league. I think it could work for the sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭elefant

Fair points and well considered! Unfortunately, my personal feeling is that the fluid nature of movement in gaelic games makes a lot of the obvious changes that could make a positive difference very difficult to implement without causing worse issues.

Like with the designated forwards, while I find the concept of weighing up risk/reward in sending defenders up the field for extra numbers interesting, the policing of players having to stop tackling etc. as soon as they pass over a line on the field is hard to imagine as successful in practice. Players are so big, strong and fit in modern times that the pitch does indeed seem too small and flooded, and leads to things getting blocked up and slow (or makes that too easy to engineer for technically inferior teams), but I don't know what the solution to that problem is.

Same with the shot clock, as an idea that is mooted quite frequently. It would be exciting to see how it would play out, but it would need to really be very creatively tailored to gaelic football and I don't know how one would go about doing that. There are a lot of things very specific to basketball that make the shot clock work in that sport (like having an objectively clear mechanism for resetting the clock upon the ball hitting the ring - how would that work in gaelic football?). Personally, I reckon it would be a complete disaster if they tried to implement a shot clock in gaelic football - there would be war around the officiating and interpretations of the rule.

I'd love to see the ratio of good to bad games improved (or at least a reduction in the number of truly awful games), and I think it'd be great if they ran tests and trials for different rule variations as you mention, but I don't hold out much hope that there's a major silver-bullet rule change out there that can transform the game in a really positive way. I'd love to be wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Bobson Dugnutt

Corofin are like something from a different era - that lovely flowing and exciting football that used to be the hallmark of Galway and Kerry teams. No surprise that the best and most exciting AI in many years featured those two counties.

I hope they win the club championship. It would be a small sign that the sport can be saved from the puke merchants.

• Advertisement

Yeah, they make the game worth watching. Even their hand-passing is good to watch, usually at pace and with forward intent. You'd love to see team like that be successful.

Advertisement