Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bidding on a House

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Selling your most valuable asset at market rate/maximum price someone is willing to pay, is not greed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I agree with you. Bidders bidding on few houses at the same time are drumming prices up.

What I think buyers should do when they are told their bid won as first bidder pulled out, is that they should lower their bid as they have increased their bid against someone who may have bid against few houses. Buyer needs to take some power back. Without the buyer, the seller has nothing just a house to sell.

Living the life

By restricting bidders to one property at a time, would you not be concerned that you would raise the number of people registering to bid on each property and drive the price up even further? If each bidder knew that was the only property they could bid on at any one time, they would be more motivated to bid higher to ensure they get the property.

Law of unintended consequences, you have a funnelling effect on each property.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

I tried that before. EA was not impressed, said thats not how it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Making a profit is not greedy. Trying to squeeze every cent possible out of something regardless of the harm that may be caused is.

• Advertisement

No, it is commerce.

If you want to sell your home for less than someone is willing to pay, you go for it.

I would. I would sell it the whom I judge to be the most deserving recipient, even if it means a financial loss. I would do that because I care about the town I live in, my neighbours and my own conscience.

You would choose to sell your home at a loss, rather than at market rate?

I find that hard to believe, in fact I don’t believe any person in their right mind would do that.

Not a loss, but at a smaller profit, yes. If I could not sell it for a profit, I would not sell it. As I said, there's nothing wrong with a profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I don't believe this is a common occurrence at all.

In any area, there will only ever be a limited number of estate agents operating. If you go around throwing bids on multiple houses only to drop out, you'll quickly find that your bids won't be entertained at all. Why would anyone do that?

I think people invent these conspiracy theories to make themselves feel better tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭twinytwo

This happens a lot, a lot of the auctioneers in this country are absolute cowboys. I was looking at properties back in 2015ish so things had not gone back to crazy yet. Called auctioneer, spoke to secretary about property - no views no offers after being on the market for 3 months. Lets say price was 200K. Went to viewing the next day, auctioneer gets out of the car, first thing out of his mouth was they have two offers for 240 and 250k. I laughed at him and left.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

We'd actually heard about this agent from a friend before we even went to see the place, used car salesman type.

In hindsight the viewing was bizarre, we viewed it twice and both times he wasn't even there. Showing us around the house was a kid who couldn't have been a day over 16 (if even that) in a cheap suit, if you asked him about the house he reached into his pocket to read a handwritten note he'd made to see if the answer was on it. Even what's the current offer, he'd have to check the note. The first time we viewed it we were alone, the second time there was a young couple viewing with us who looked in their mid to late 20s. They made noises about making a bid to the 16 year old as they were leaving. This house was up near a million, they weren't in the usual age range who could afford this kind of property and having been to a lot of viewings in this price range lately they definitely felt out of place. Not that it actually means anything but I saw them leaving and he wasn't driving the kind of car I'd expect somebody with that kind of money in their late 20s to be driving. It felt a bit odd at the time, I'm wondering now were they a plant to make the other bidder in our bidding war seem legit. Sounds far fetched but you never know, it had been on the market a good while so it's not like there were lots of people viewing it every week at this point.

I would sell it the whom I judge to be the most deserving recipient

Bahahahaha

So you would forego thousands of euro just to massage your own ego? Riiiiight

OK, imagine you have two young families looking to buy their first home, they both want your house and are willing to bid against each other to get it. You, however, will not permit a bidding war to happen.

Keeping in mind you'll never actually meet these people, how on earth would you decide who is most deserving?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Dtoffee

A collegue of mine successfully bid on a house and was sale agreed, when his solicitor told him to pull out because a small section of land (2sq meters) at the bottom corner was not on the land registry. The previous owner lived there over 20 years and he just assumed it was theirs and just cut the grass and tended to it. There is no opposition from any neighbours etc as they all assumed it was part of his garden.

Am I right in thinking that the fact that the previous owner was there uncontested over 12 years, they had rights to the land (the boundaries were set before they bought the land from the previous owner in the 90's).

He said he has taken his solicitors advice and pulled out, but it seems strange to me tbh.... what is the risk ? could someone lay claim to 2m square patch of grass after all this time? and in all honesty, I doubt it would impact the property as its at the end of the garden.

What am I missing or is my man just using it as an excuse to pull out of the deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭brokenbad

Not that it will ever happen, but when it comes to the bidding process, it needs to be open and transparent in an effort to weed out the "phantom" bids generated by some unscrupulous Estate Agents to bump up their commission. Major overhaul of legislation needed in the Auctioneering industry.....

I would sell it to whomever makes the best offer first. Do you find it so hard to believe that someone can actually think beyond the short term gain?

At what stage would the common good of man routine get dropped I wonder, 10, 15, 20, 50k?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I had a very similar situation on a small two bed house during 2016. It's was a ex rental the owners had done a deal with the bank. I had a big that was 2k less than the banks request of the owners. Auctioneer said I had first refusal but if I did not they were keeping it on the market.

I took the deal. The house has gone up in Vale by 70-80% since and I have collected rent to nearly the value of the house since. A bit of money put into it and a bit of hassle with the last tenant but all is good otherwise

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Yeah and look I’m not advocating this every time and neither of us spent any significant additional money - it’s all about the eye on the prize which for both of us was the house we wanted an increasing house price market and the risk of others joining the biding which would have meant a greater payment above which we made - it just made total sense to me at the time as well as now - absolutely no regrets but ego and pride etc can get in the way of making such deals

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Is the person that has use of it for the 12 years has the claim or the new owner. However it's not that straight forward you have to apply for title through adverse possession of the owner of the property challenges it the case goes to the high court. It could cost 20-50k to get title. If it was me I would have purchased and lived with the risk until I could claim adverse possession if the area was small and at a corner of the garden.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

"Whomever makes the best offer first"

So would you take the best offer, or the first offer? They are mutually exclusive, once you have more than one bidder.

I think you've convinced yourself that you would do this. However, you have no practical way of achieiving this and I'd bet my bollocks that if it came to it, you'd just take the highest offer.

Quite why you're making up such elaborate fantasies to virtue signal on an anonymous message board isn't clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

This could put an end to the phantom bidders and endless bidding wars?

https://www.irishtimes.com/politics/2023/11/14/bidding-process-for-buying-homes-in-ireland-could-be-overhauled-after-expert-process/

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭rowantree18

I was actually told by the EA to out deposits on a few things I was interested in if I was in a position to do so. To hold them. I fully accept that's not ideal for anyone, an annoyance at best and a full on hold up of a sale at worst. But......apparently it's common enough and to be honest, when you're making such a huge purchase as a house, you don't care. You want to be sure. And the way it currently works here allows for multiple deposits and withdrawals until contracts are signed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

That doesn't happen, a like for like house selling second hand for 200K an new build on the area won't get 400K. There must be a significant difference between them to attempt to justify the 400k.

Near me a 70 4 bed semi-d is on the market and not getting offers, it will need work. For close to the same money you can get a new build. It's a better layout than the NB but still people don't want it because you can walk into a NB with nothing to do. They need to price it as if it's renovated, take the cost of doing that off and take 50K off to cover the hassles and risk factor. That's what it's worth

Advertisement