Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

When will we see the report on the very dodgy redundancy packages that RTE management got in the past? For example, the former CFO, the Commercial manager etc

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

Do you actuley know what you are talking about, have you heard of computers. RTE staff are to be let go because an amount of them can work from home?

Surely it should be very minimal, to produce a radio or TV programme is a hands on job, if a load of them are not even on the campus that suggests a surplus to requirements and over staffing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

That's way out of date! Surely you know an awful lot of the work can be done remotely? Software means you don't have to be physically present? You've taken a very strange message out of those comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Exactly, and there will be no 'job cuts' as posters/media keep referring to them. This is just another windfall for staff retiring or going somewhere else. It wont streamline the organisation, its just the management wanting to be seen to be making hard decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Curious, where does outsourcing Fair City save money?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,004 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Believe me- there’s no “hard decisions” here at all - there’s a cohort of RTÉ staff rubbing their hands with glee right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭kincaid

Rte corrupt as hell and then they think the people should stump up for all this by paying a tv licence.

It only rubbish on Rte and never watch it, was hoping Rte would be gone for good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Interesting to see so many come out for the RTÉ little guy.

At no point in the last 7 years, has any RTÉ employee ever spoken out about the direction of RTÉ.

It wasn't that Strategy 2024 was bad it was that it was moving Lyric out of Limerick, or the proposed closure of services.

No offence to the little guy, but call out Dee Forbes at this meeting today. Mention her name again and again and again.

Call out Moya Doherty.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Easier to axe it, is that their plan to move Fair City to an indo producer?

______

Yesterday

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Honestly, this thread is absolutely packed with complete ignorance at this stage.

If 400 people leave RTE via redundancy, or via retirement, or of their own free will, and these 400 positions are not backfilled, this is 400 job cuts. Job cuts is the elimination of roles, how the roles are vacated in the first place is immaterial.

Whenever you see news about job cuts this doesn't mean that number of people are forced out the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If fair city is an independent production then it is far easier to control costs - RTE pay a single lump sum and the production company has to deliver for that price. If RTE wants a 10% reduction, it pays 10% less and doesn't have to figure out how to do that.

It also makes it far easier to cancel the production as RTE will be removed and protected from the IR blowback.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

RTE should be scaled back to 20% of it's current size. Not just culling 20% of it's current workforce.

That site is massive, can you imagine how many Asylum Seekers we could accommodate on that campus?

It doesn't quite have the same human impact as an involuntary redundancy though. When someone leaves voluntarily one can assume that in most cases they have organised their lives in a way that they will be ok.

Therefore how jobs are lost is not immaterial - it's actually very important.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The implication being made was that there wasn't really going to be job cuts because 400 people weren't going to be forced out the door.

The point was that people here don't seem to understand what a job cut is. It's an elimination of a role, not a person. The role is eliminated and whether it's vacated by voluntary redundancy, involuntary redundancy, retirement or just someone leaving for another job elsewhere it's still a job cut.

400 roles will be eliminated at RTE. I am sure this will be a mix of redundancy and natural attrition. Even if 200 of the roles are eliminated through natural attrition and 200 via redundancy of whatever guise it's still 400 job cuts. Even if 100 of the eliminations are for roles that have no current occupant, it's still a job cut.

I'd argue that most people don't really believe that there will be that many job cuts in RTÉ over the next 5 years. I imagine it will be closer to 100 if RTÉ are lucky and then for them not to begin recruitment for those roles.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

What paycuts are the top talent taking... if any ?

For example, the guy with the horrific Dublin accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I see RTE has budgeted €40 million for 400 redundancies. That's €100k per redundancy. Given the average annual salary there is €60k, on the face of it, it seems very generous indeed. I'd imagine anyone within a few years of retirement would grab it with both hands.

It's worth noting again that this €40 million is a NEW cost to be borne by the taxpayer, and is IN ADDITION TO the tens of millions of taxpayer funding needed to make up the shortfall in the annual RTE budget AND the tens of millions now needed to make up for non-payment of TV license fees this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

wait..what? so let me get this right...that an EXTRA €40mill on top of the,what was it....? €40mill or €60mill,ok call it €60mill as its only taxpayers money, they needed to keep going?so...so far according to my adding that a cool €100mill....? ask the butt end of me bollix comes to mind...

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭maebee

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"The plan says RTÉ will “commission significantly more content from independent production”. This puts big programmes such as The Sunday Game and Fair City in the line of fire for outsourcing to external companies, according to Government sources."

• Advertisement

I'd see industrial action being taken over that. You'll get all sorts of commentary about the likes of the Sunday Game being extracted from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 7,436 ✭✭✭Tow

56M in extra funding from the Tax Payer: Normal programming has resumed.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

I feel the government is just blindly walking into this. Leo and Co have given the go ahead for 56m in funding to RTÉ for 2024.

Meaning RTÉ should have a loss of 30m this year due to licence fee non-payments.

end of the day - we get the same shite.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Rock on a year later and id be 100% not a single thing has happened from that plan

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Scandalous waste of money.

The licence fee is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭amlinopta

Emma O’Kelly on the News at One sees no need for job cuts, doesn’t know where there is any fat in the work force

She's a lifer at RTE. Doesn't know what it's like to work in a private company.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Sigma101

Yes, but at the same time, both she (NUJ) and the SIPTU representative were clear that they had no objections to the proposal for 400 voluntary redundancies. She said 120 will retire within the timeframe, which leaves just 280 that would be needed to sign up for the voluntary redundancy scheme. Given the €40 million budgeted for the scheme, it seems some very generous payouts could be on offer.

• Advertisement

Meanwhile Dee Forbes is still sick.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement