Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XII: Farrell's First Fifteen

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

A large part of it for Coombes, Prendergast, Timoney in the back-row etc. is because the 4 incumbents were viritually never injured in the preceding 2 years.

The opportunities just weren't there. That doesn't necessarily mean they aren't performing in training.

The Conan injury around RWC-time was the most minutes missed by any of the 4 incumbents in ages. In the 2 seasons, and 19 Tests vs Tier 1 nations prior to the RWC, the 4 of POM, VdF, Doris and Conan missed a total of 21 mins gametime because of injury (solely, Conan vs Argentina in the AI's 2021).

• Registered Users Posts: 38,389 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Younger players need to get an early introduction to the international level. I'm not saying any particular player needs to be in the squad on a regular basis.

Introducing them to that level earlier gives them an experience of what they need to work towards. It benefits the team in the medium term.

We need a panel largely made up of players under 30 now, with plenty of games under their belt for 2027. Now is the time to start their introduction.

Herring, Bealham, Kilcoyne, POM, Bundee, Murray and obviously Johnny won't be there. Maybe one might still be there.

We won't have all, if any, of Beirne, Henderson, Conan, Josh, Henshaw, McCloskey and Lowe and Gibson-Park.

That's 15 players from our World Cup squad. If we have three of them at the next World Cup I'll be surprised.

So what do you want to do? Start introducing them two years in advance? Will you find the right players and give them enough experience by the time 2027 rolls around?

I think you need to give them time now and have most of your starters set two years in advance of the next World Cup.

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Timoney had opportunities. He's just not at that level.

To labour the point I made earlier, Timoney also had chances in European / Interpro fixtures to stake a claim and never put in a performance that would have forced anyones hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

A decision was clearly taken(to me anyway) post 2019 to move away from POM. He seemed to have moved into the backup/experience off the bench role. Potentially the captain against the tier 2 teams etc. Media talk as well but that was the way it looked.

Yet he manage to fight his way back into been one of the most critical players for Ireland come World Cup. So players clearly had the ability to fight to get into the team

See below in terms of transition over the period.

This was the first Farrell squad post Joe. You had 18 players who didn't travel to World Cup in that squad I think at a quick glance. Including 5 players uncapped. Seems to me a decent number of players swapped in/out over that period.

I think all of the 3 you mentioned played at their provinces from 2020

As I posted above we swapped out 18 players from the first 2020 squad so it's not impossible. I have no problem with putting players into the team if they deserve it. So far the posts I have seen on here seem to be pushing players into the team because of age, hoping they are able to swim and not sink.

That would set a bad precedent in the squad if you are rewarding players with caps who don't deserve it over others just based on age.

It's hard to tell who we will or won't have. Looking back at the 2020 squad the likes of Connors/Dillane/JOD/Addison would have been the guys most would have said would be big players in 2023 and POM/Earls etc would probably have retired, Sexton for sure most people expected to retire post Lions.

Pick the best players to win the game at that time and if a young player wants to start then let them earn it.

• Advertisement

Tbh, I felt Coombes did last season, but it didn't come to pass (it was also at a time when Conan had a dip in form). His group stage performances in Europe were exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

I think Ireland should go hard to win the 6 nations and tour to South Africa in 2024.

Then with Farrell away with the lions in 2025 there is more leeway to bed in New players and not as much pressure on winning the 6 nations. The 2024 November Internationals, 2025 6 nations and 2025 summer tour( minus the lions players) look to be a great opportunity to look at new players.

And of those 18, how many had time out due to injury at various periods or from retirement? I daresay a good number.

With the back-row, I've spelled out that there weren't very many at all for the last 2 seasons.

The point being, if the incumbents are fit and playing well, it's too simplistic to say "they alternatives aren't doing it in training". If, say, Conan got an injury during the 6 Nations and Prendergast got called into the 23 is he then suddenly "doing it in training"? It's too binary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

The other way of looking at that is that relying injuries as the opportunities to get guys some experience isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

The panel we had failed. They weren't good enough. That's the reality! It was our best opportunity too, imo.

There will be a phased period to additions and subtraction. In my opinion, scrum half is a key position to blood somebody. Murray should be phased out. Gibson Park didn't have a good world cup and I doubt he's around in 4 years. Hopefully a new scrum half is in the 6nations squad. Loose head I think will be Porter and Loughman with another. Pointless continuing with Kilcoyne and Healy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

There's no signs yet that he's declining, and that lower early exposure you mention could indeed stand to him.

But a guy like him, slightly undersized for his position, and so busy at defensive breakdowns... I'd worry how many years are left. Those stamps in his "cleared out" passport will eventually fill the pages.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

A province badly needs to get across the line in Europe, imo. I'm no psychologist, and not to downplay the achievement of a Grand Slam, but it really does seem as though the mental pressure created by "we need to win to stay undefeated" is very different to the pressure created by "we need to win or we go home with nothing and they take it all". There's even a hint in the language you hear from players and coaches "we're treating this as a final", suggests there is just that difference between the natural context of a 6N game, to that of a knockout or final. Note I'm saying "different" here, not "more/less" etc. The caveat here is the tour win in NZ, which comes a lot closer to the context of a tournament. Could ROG have therefore derailed the momentum of the Irish setup before the RWC? Discussion for another day...

But if one of the provinces can bring home a European title, I think the changing room of the national team can only improve. I'd rather have a chunk of the players buoyed by European success, and the rest envious of that, than the entire cohort fighting their anxieties about whether they can get the job done.

tl:dr Munster should be allowed sign Ox Nche.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Even the IRFU spelling Baloucoune's name wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭OldRio

Andrew Porter talking about the World Cup and more on the 'Rugby Pod' on YouTube. A very very good interview. Worth a watch.

Not sure how to post a link but it's worth a watch.

We won the Grand Slam, came second the year before. Not sure we need to win a European Cup

To win it in reality we will need to change the current overseas policy which seems to be not allowing leinster to sign a top quality international player. At the moment it is clear to me, the strategy is for Leinster to sign decent pro's but not big names international. Probably because they would stop Irish players getting into the team. I don't think for one second when Leinster went to the IRFU to sign a beaffy second row to compete with La Rochelle they had Jenkins in mind.

Will that happen? I very much doubt it. Is it better for the game in Ireland? questionable.

DO I think Ireland should do it? At the moment no. It is milimetres between winning and losing at the moment.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

We don't need a foreign beefy second row now we have McCarthy. Which is more or less what the policy is for.

Also one of the biggest issues in both finals was the kicking of our previously foreign signed back 3 player. The Leinster squad is and was good enough to win the last two championships.

I'd say Leinster will win it this year with Nienaber. Lancaster's a brilliant coach for developing a squad and doing very well in the regular season, but his Leinster team weren't good at stepping up when they were taken out of their comfort zone, which is a big problem in high level knockout games.

The Provinces needed big foreign signings to win in Europe years ago, but Ireland were, what, 5th, 6th, 7th in the world rankings back then. Now the Provinces' go-to players from the top two or three Test sides are actually Irish, or Irish-qualified at any rate. At least that's how it is at Leinster; they have 10 or more starters for a very good Ireland team. You couldn't have said the same in 2009.

The 15 that took to the field v La Rochelle last year was all Irish qualified if I remember.

Leinster could of gone and signed an Ezebeth or a big star like that, Im sure they have the money if they needed it but im sure someone in the IRFU would have said that would hamper big Joe. As luck would have it he got injured most of the season and wasn't in a position to be the impact off the bench

Plus, keep Ryan on that pitch...who knows

• Advertisement

I'm less interested in what specific provinces need, more interested in seeing the IRFU loosening the restrictions a tiny bit, with a view to increased European success across all provinces. The latter epoch of the Nucifora era was well-intended, maybe even financially forced, but it evidently left outcomes too close to chance, and nothing but recent memories of knock-out failure in the heads of the national squad.

Sorry just seen this, yes I agree. But when Leinster went to sign someone they would have asked for a Ezebeth type World star and the IRFU would have said no, Big Joe is coming. Was that better for Ireland? of course.

The model at the moment of signing decent quality players like Ngatai etc I think is working. The IRFU can't rival the French clubs for a big star and they shouldn't, that money can be used for future Irish stars

McCarthy benched versus the Sharks and Munster - the two games before the Euro Final. I think they just preferred Jenkins. It remains to be seen whether that has changed.

To win it in reality we will need to change the current overseas policy which seems to be not allowing leinster to sign a top quality international player. At the moment it is clear to me, the strategy is for Leinster to sign decent pro's but not big names international. 

I think the reason for that is because, obvisouly the Leinster players make up the bulk of the Irish set up. They need their signings to be available during / around the International window.

Signing a top quality international, who would also be away, would leave them even further stretched during that period.

Post edited by aloooof on

Not to mention the Leinster playing budget is already gonna be pretty hefty.

We have a stellar squad, I don't think not being able to sign a top tier NIQ is much of an excuse/reason.

McCarthy missed a large part of last season so my assumption was Jenkins was preferred because of his experience. He only got 8 games last season and 285 mins

The games during the international windows are minimal these days in URC. Those games anyway in the URC and if they are bringing in a big name it would be for the big European games at the end of the season.

As I said in my post I don't think Ireland need to do that, the model is working as is.

It may technically remain to be seen if McCarthy is ahead of Jenkins, but I would be absolutely flabberghasted if it was not the case. It was a poor selection in the final.

Poor selection now based on McCarthy's progress, at the time I didnt hear many grumbles. Especially as Jenkins was only supposed to be on to close out the game and in reality would have come on with Ryan.

I'm sure moving forward for Ireland and Leinster McCarthy is going to get more minutes and will be interesting to see how the other young lads at Munster get on because a couple of crackers in their squad

• Advertisement

It absolutely is a consideration tho; take Alaalatoa, started all 4 of the games around 6 Nations time. Fardy a perfect example of that type of player.

Add in Podge's point about the playing budget already too and it makes sense.

Advertisement