Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€25k invested in prize bonds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

As per previous posts, you are probably better off to register for an online account, especially if you will be buying/selling/holding State Savings products for the long term. If you are in a hurry for the money you might be better getting the form and and taking it to a Post Office or sending it and the certified attachments off in the post today. I always send them by registered post as this avoids and "we never received your letter" nonsense. It is possible to send a registered letter FOC if it is addressed to State Savings, Prize Bonds Repayments Department, GPO, Freepost, Dublin 1, D01 F5P2

Note 3 on the repayment form states "Where application for repayment is for less than the total number of units in a multiple Bond, a Bond covering the remaining units will be forwarded to the holder. The range of Bonds to be repaid must start at the first Bond in the range held." So yes, you enter the range you wish to cash in, starting with the first number in the range. Note that in your example you are actually cashing in 113 bonds (ABC100000 to ABC100112) and so would receive €706.25.

If you want to be absolutely clear in your instructions, I would put on the form "Please cash-in ABC100000 to ABC100112 and please issue a replacement certificate for ABC100113 to ABC100400"

Your best bet would be to call them and find out what is going on, and ask how you should proceed in order to get registered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭VonLuck

I rang them and they said they sent me a change of address form last year and I never responded. I think I completed one for Prize Bonds and not State Savings thinking they both would update.

So to register, they have to send me out a form and I send it back which may take two weeks. Then they send out a registration form which I complete and return and then they send me out an access PIN! The whole process could take 4 weeks. Crazy.

I actually need to withdraw the money a lot sooner as I paid for something on my credit card thinking I could withdraw a lot quicker than this. It looks like the standard form is the way to go until I'm registered. And now looking at the form for repayment, I need to send in a bank statement for my bank that doesn't issue them. Talk about difficult!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I didn't know that you could send a registered post letter FOC. I thought Freepost was just to cover the basic service, not any add ons. If too many people find out about this, they might stop it. It costs them €9 a throw, instead of €1.35 (for an envelope up to 100 g.).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

These services are run to suit An Post you know!!

I don't think the registered letter thing costs them much extra, a few extra bits of paperwork for staff who are on payroll anyway.

• Advertisement

It's free only if it is addressed to the GPO, as it is classed as "internal" mail. Was informed of this by an old school "sub-post master", and have made use of it on numerous occasions, in particular every time I have correspondence for State Savings. It's nothing to do with Freepost per se. Sorry if I misled anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

The increase in prizes isn't doing me much good 😌 - nothing again

Another basic question - where do my Prize Bonds winnings go? I was notified previously of a couple of small winnings but I'm not sure how to claim them.

Are they automatically reinvested as new Prize Bonds?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Not automatically. The default is you are sent a cheque. You have to tick a box when you sign up to automatically reinvest them afaik.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

Cheques are long gone. The up to date information is on the website.

What are my Prize Bond winnings payment options?

1. Prizes can be automatically paid into the registered Bondholder’s bank account on provision of a SEPA IBAN and proof document validating the IBAN.

2. OR
    3. Prizes may be automatically reinvested in new Prize Bonds in the name(s) of the registered bondholder(s), on their behalf, for inclusion in future draws.

Please note: Where bank details are not provided, the prize payment option will default to automatic reinvestment in new Prize Bonds in the name(s) of the registered bondholder(s), on their behalf.

I don't believe I provided bank account details so I assume it was reinvested. How do I find out what the new Prize Bond numbers are on these? I can see that I got two prizes, and the Prize Bond numbers that won the amount for me, but I haven't received any notification of new numbers for my winnings. Not very straight forward this!

A few of questions:

How long is it since these wins ?

Have you changed address since the winning bonds were purchased ?

Have you checked the wins on the unclaimed/uncashed prizes page ?

Did you receive notification of the win in the post ?

If they were reinvested, the new bonds awarded together with all your other holdings should appear on your holdings page on your online account when it is up and running.

The last win was back in July.

I did not change my address since these were issued.

I checked unclaimed prizes so I guess since it's less than six months ago it won't be listed.

I think I may have received a notification in the post for one of them, but not the other. I can't be sure of that though.

If they were reinvested I assume they would have new prize bond numbers on their own on my tracker page?

@VonLuck When you say "Tracker Page" I'm assuming that you are talking about the Prize Bond Tracker, correct ? This is NOT updated automatically, so additional purchases, transfers and reinvested prizes are NOT added automatically. You have to add them. And of course this is chicken and egg, as you can't add them if you don't know the numbers.

This is all a bit odd to be honest - you should have received the certificates (in the post) for any bonds issued when your prizes were reinvested. You mentioned a change of address form previously so my hunch is that this may be at the root of your problems.

You could call them and ask about the winners and what happened to the prizes/reinvestments. But I think your best bet is to plow on with getting yourself registered for State Savings Online. It cuts out an awful lot of this messing.

I checked unclaimed prizes so I guess since it's less than six months ago it won't be listed.

Unclaimed/Uncashed prizes remain visible on the tracker until they are claimed. There is no six month limit on these.

Thanks for the help. Very useful. I think I need to get in contact with someone directly on the phone as it seems to have gotten a bit muddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭cobham

We bought prize bonds in July and last week got an email to say we had won 70 euro and today we got a letter about same and also said the winnings has been reinvested in 12 new bonds. I must have ticked the box for 'reinvest' when bought them initially.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was helping my uncle cash in his bonds. He said he had a few. I calculated about 900. Filed out a few forms for him, they were all different names and addresses. Tells me he never won anything. In he comes tonight with more letters. Turns out he won 450, and they reinvested it for him. He was nearly crying with the excitement. Just over 1600, my maths were a bit off. How bad.

Thought I was having a week away from the prizes as I didn't receive a notification e-mail. And then it arrived in at 12:39 so I checked the tracker........

Congratulations!

Your saved Prize Bond numbers have won €225.00 since you last logged in

I'm enjoying this....... Starting to look like the run that @tuisginideach had some years ago !

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭pbwinner

Winnings on 17th November 2023: €0

Last win 7th July 2023: €50

Total winnings on €25k from Feb 2011 to date: €3300

2011: €75 x 4 = €300

2012: €75 x 6 = €450

2013: €50 x 12 = €600

2014: €50 x 9 = €450

2015: €50 x 5 = €250

2016: €50 x 5 = €250

2017: €50 x 4 = €200

2018: €50 x 2 = €100

2019: €50 x 6 = €300

2020: €50 x 5 = €250

2021: €50 x 1 = €50

2022: €50 x 1 = €50

2023: €50 x 1 = €50

• Advertisement

€75 for me today from a AWP bond won on 21 May 2021 reinvestment.

Bond number 413 won €75.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

That's an amazing run Hibernicis! I'm still languishing at the bottom of the pile😥

Bond number 413. That is amazing !!

If it was a christening present, the holder is 66 now.

If it was a 21st Birthday present the holder is 87 now.

If it was a wedding present, the holder/s is/are probably in their nineties now.

If the purchaser was 34 on the day it was purchased, she/he should also be getting a cheque from the president any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭carrickbawn

Same here . Year almost over and worst in all the years I have had prize bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭willycat

Depends on how you set it up. They can be reinvested or cashed automatically. If you are registered online, you have the options to cash them automatically to your bank account, or reinvest. If not registered I assume you either get them reinvested or get a cheque via post.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Yet another week of nothing of 5k

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Finally got €75 win.

@willycat

Depends on how you set it up. They can be reinvested or cashed automatically. If you are registered online, you have the options to cash them automatically to your bank account, or reinvest. If not registered I assume you either get them reinvested or get a cheque via post.

Cheque issue ceased over two years ago. Now it’s either lodged to your bank account or reinvested with new bonds issued.

Post edited by Hibernicis on

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭willycat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Madd002

I've given up on them, registered with them they sent letter I had to sign and send back so they could issue pin. They then sent a letter stating I had no state products with them. I rang them and read out all the prize bonds numbers I had etc. got nowhere with them. I have kids names on some of mine and individual forms for cashing out needs to be signed by both parties along with all identification as well, I'm probably better off loading us all up in the car with our documents and drive to Cork to cash out. I've all in a bundle shoved back in press not 1 win in 23yrs of €750 worth.

Advertisement