Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginning in 2024, all motor insurers will require a driver number

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Those drivers only get screwed if there's a requirement on the insurer to cross-reference the driver number against a licence database. Which there isn't.

Additionally, this legislation was written in 2016 (Road Traffic Act 2016, section 30). It still hasn't been enacted

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,524 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

But don't most of the insurers have access to the penalty points database? If they do then surely they can also check if driver no. xxx has a full licence or not?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/motors/motor-insurance-firms-given-access-to-penalty-points-database-1.2727474

With or without legislation, it's surely in their interests to validate if someone has a full licence if he/she claims to have one. Because if they simply take the customer's word then lots of people who have not passed the test will claim to have a full licence and the insurers will miss the additional revenue they would get from the surcharge they could impose on them for having only a learner permit. Or no licence at all.

It's all very well saying 'oh well, they'll be rumbled if they have a claim'. But we're talking about people who only drive locally and the majority of them are driving for years without a claim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There is specific legislation in place for that: https://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/act/3/section/5/enacted/en/html#sec5. I haven't seen any evidence of legislation allowing them to cross-check driver number against licence type.

And the penalty points example only reiterates how this legislation doesn't have any effect on the drivers you're talking about - they didn't need the driver number to check the penalty points database, so why would requiring the driver number suddenly allow them to check whether a valid licence is held?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You were here prior to 1972; are you over 70? If so then you may have to do and Irish test as ot is not possible to exchange over the age of 70. Was an issue for an uncle more than 10 years ago before Brexit became a discussion. Presumably you also only have a U.K. paper licence as to get a photo card you would have had to assert you lived permanently in the U.K.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Slightly Kwackers

I was here on and off since the 1950's

I have not returned to the UK for four years I think it is. This is by far the longest period that I have lived in Ireland in my life. I have totally lost my enthusiasm for England, too many Tories, porkies and too much xenophobia for my liking, so I don't envisage a return. My pooch, goosey and the kwackers might pose problems post Brexit anyway.

I did get an email last month and have forwarded my UK driver number, I have had no response back to say there is a problem.

I will get a swap sorted, I thought I might have problems with the NCT, but Castleisland test center assured me the English licence is fine.

It's odd, I was never, ever asked for my licence for an MOT test in the UK, in fact I don't see how it matters. If the car is roadworthy, surely it's still roadworthy if the owner gets banned or croaks? The requirement for a licence seem to be a bit needless to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you were asked for your licence for identification purposes - nothing to do with the actual NCT test itself.

I bring my wifes/sons/daughters cars to NCT regularly and they just need to know who's presenting it, nothing sinister.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭AnnaStezia

Will they be looking for a copy of your driving licence or just the number ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,800 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

What's the difference ? Once you give them a copy of your licence they can read your number and then look up the database to check it's status, including points.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement