Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BusConnects Dublin - Bus Network Changes Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

• Registered Users Posts: 17,715 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Don't hold your breath though - it could be a while LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

Haha. I don't think it would benefit me personally, but I like the idea of Broombridge becoming more of a transport hub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Unless something has changed since Google Maps was last around there, there's no movement potential southbound from Steeven's Lane to James St aside from continuing along the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 oliver_murray

The W62, W61 and W4 still don't show up on google maps even though they launched over four months ago

• Advertisement

Do not use Google Maps for Irish public transport information.

It is completely out of date since they did not change the data feed to the new TFI feed last April.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭ITV2

One place that wont have a bus when the 17/18 are gone in Crumlin is Armagh Road to Crumlin Village and a Link to the Ashleaf Centre at the Sub until the 82 starts in 202x

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭loco_scolo

There are two options, which are currently left turn only. It would be very simple to allow a bus only right turn at either junction. Cars already use most of Stephen's Lane along the Luas tracks, except a section nearest Heuston.

Yeah I was surprised by that - I thought they’d leave the 74 taking the existing 17 route until the 82 launches and maintain that connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭p_haugh

I did also spot that yeah, odd decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The media launch for Busconnects Phase 5b by the NTA will take place on Friday the 24th of November.

There is an article from the Irish Independent to explain the new routes to be rolled out on the 26th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Sorry, why is this phase 5b? was there a 5a?

5a was the W4 and W6 (W61 & 62 for the time being). They were all meant to be the same phase, but were split up due to lack of drivers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes, that's right. One of the F spine buses will go to IKEA like the 140 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The residents of Ticknock in Ballinteer had put up a petition on change.org a few weeks ago to fix the timetable on the 114 to Blackrock Station.

They made a request to increase the frequency of the route to every 30 minutes. The petition says that it will help the residents of Ticknock to get to work/school on time during the weekdays.

The petition was obviously published a few weeks before the Phase 5b announcement for BusConnects.

The S8 would serve it's route on the R112 alongside the M50 at Ticknock. It also offers a 15 minute frequency during the peak hours on weekdays. It will be a vastly superior route as to what the 114 provides in it's timetable even though the S8 goes out to Dún Laoghaire.

Do you think the residents in Ticknock would have a case here?

I think the S8 going past Ticknock near the M50 would be an adequate addition to their commute. I have no idea though about where most of these residents would go afterwards when they get off the 114 bus route. If they travel onto the City Centre using the Dart at Blackrock. That would be a very good argument to improve the 114 to a 30 minutes frequency at weekdays. Although if the commuters from Ticknock go out through Dún Laoghaire on their commute; having the S8 every 15 minutes at peak times is a perfect alternative for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭Qrt

I don’t think the S8 is going to be of much benefit to those living in Ticknock/Sandyford village, the M50 just completely cuts them off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

Correct the S8 will be operating along the M50 slip road. The 114 is due to be replaced by the 86 in Ticknock which will be half hourly. Can't see any frequency improvements on the 114 until then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

What if some stairs would be built there by the roundabout to the M50 and Ticknock? Does anyone know where the bus 80 is going to terminate in Ballinteer? With stairs it could be close enough to reach S8, 74 and 80 on foot from Ticknock.

That's what I was thinking as well, but there's only Pedestrian access on the southbound slip however. Also there would need to be a lift/ramp to make the stops accessible realistically, which would add to the cost.

I cannot see that happening - it’s very steep there.

The 80 will terminate at the current 16 terminus at Kingston.

It is possible to walk through Kingston and along Harold’s Grange Road, but it’s 15-20 mins of a walk.

Personally I’d have liked to see the 86 loop around via Harold’s Grange Road and through Ballinteer to terminate at Dundrum, thus linking in with the other routes that you mention and providing connectivity to the west.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

• Advertisement

Steep is good - that's what stairs are invented for! Plenty of steep stairs in Italy, Spain, Portugal... Why don't we have a better access from residential and industrial estates to the main roads? Walking around or taking a bus around is a bit inefficient and there's plenty of examples, at least in Dublin.

Yeah, connectivity idea is good.

Cost is not a problem. We should think about that the least as it's so immaterial to the budget that it's not even worth to talk about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

A concern I have is with how much the area around Lambs Cross has grown since these plans were drawn up vs. the bus service available. Anyone familiar with the area will be aware of the level of construction happening. The route from Ticknock at Lamb’s Cross has had a big boom in new homes with a new road layout. There has been similar growth further up Enniskerry Road at Aikens Village where multiple developments have shot up in the last year. Amazingly not one extra bus has been added to the area. The last 114 from Ticknock is at 8.30pm Mon to Sat and at 7.25pm on Sundays. Aside from the hourly 47 which dips into Belarmine, there is no service on the section of Enniskerry Road where new housing developments have launched.

Realistically nothing will be done until some time in late 2025 when they introduce routes 86, 87 and 88 to the area. The worrying thing is that anybody moving in there will probably have chosen to drive by then due to lack of public transport. 

Post edited by KD345 on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

100%.

Very large and growing population there and you would have no option but to drive.

Too far from the Luas also.

The S8 could have potentially been routed via lambs cross (at least until the 86, 87 & 88 start). See the red route below:

This would add ~8-10 minutes in ideal conditions, but would probably be prone to traffic issues so realistically would take longer. It would also miss out on 3 stops along Brehon Field road, but these aren't currently served by the 175 as it is, and would still be served by the 74 (and eventually the 80).

It could be said that the S8 - even with the use of the sliproads beside the M50 - is already a longer commute between Dun Laoghaire -> Tallaght as it is compared to the 75 (when comparing the timetables), so maybe they're trying not to get it to do too much?

Some further GAI timetable and stop changes from 26th November - the additional trips on the 161 are to compensate for the loss of the 61 trips to/from Rockbrook.

https://www.goaheadireland.ie/odma-timetable-change-november-2023

ODMA/W-Route Service Change - November 2023

Yesterday Mon 13th Nov 2023

Go-Ahead Ireland will be introducing the following changes, effecting selected Outer Dublin Metropolitan Area services, as well as selected W-Route services: 

•  Bus stop changes to W4 service in The Square, Tallaght: 
      • Stop Removed: 7181
      • New Stop: 8031

• Bus stop changes to W62 service in The Square, Tallaght: 
      • Stop Removed: 4342
      • New Stop: 8030

• Additional service added to 33B Sunday & Public Holiday timetable: 
      • Service from Marsh Lane to Swords Pavilions SC departing at 08:07AM 

• 3 additional services added to 161 Monday - Friday timetable:
      • Service from Rockbrook to Dundrum Luas departing at 06:45AM
      • Service from Rockbrook to Dundrum Luas departing at 16:00PM 
      • Service from Dundrum Luas to Rockbrook at 18:15PM

Timetables effective 26th November 2023

W4 Timetable

W62 Timetable 

33B Timetable

161 Timetable 

Phase 5b of the BusConnects Network Redesign will also commence on the 26th of November and will see the introduction of the Go-Ahead Ireland S4, S6, S8, W2 and L55. The following Go-Ahead Ireland routes will cease operation from the 26th November 2023: 17, 18, 75/a, 76/a and 175. 

I don't think your comment about the S8 taking as long as the 75 is right?

Are you comparing the times from Citywest rather than Tallaght LUAS?

The S8 is about 20 minutes faster for most trips than the 75 between Tallaght LUAS and Dún Laoghaire.

Re-routing the S8 away from Brehon Field Road is not an option. Ballinteer is losing both the 75 and 175 as it is - the S8 has to serve the stops along that road to retain connectivity to both Tallaght and Dún Laoghaire - people can walk up through the estates to the stops on that road.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Some use all of Stephens Lane. There was a very enterprising mini cooper driver who realised they could juuust about fit through the Luas barriers at the Heuston end, making their own little rat run. I wasn't sure whether to be annoyed or impressed.

That is true about the loss of connection with the 75 as well, I hadnt thought of that!

For the timetable, I was basing my calculations off the 8:45 S8 which gets to Tallaght LUAS at 10:10, whereas the 8:55 75 gets you to Tallaght LUAS for 10:12. After double checking, I do see times later on that are a bit quicker

• Advertisement

Yes I had a feeling that you had forgotten that! :-)

Look the other way in the mornings.....peak traffic direction is west to east in the mornings and vice versa in the evenings. Journey times are up to 20 minutes faster.

Advertisement