Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,290 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Protesting will probably be outlawed soon enough the way things are going...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

At this stage does it matter? Election is coming up next year no matter how many PMs they rotate through...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Technically it can go into 2025 as Jan 28th is the latest it can be held. I think it does matter though because that's another year of them pissing about wrecking things and squirreling away money for them and their mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Is it? Why bring Suellen into the cabinet in the first place, and have to provide cover for her on many occasions simply to turn around now and bring in a non-elected member to the cabinet?

He shows his party, and the country, that he believes that no-one within the current ranks of MP's is actually good enough for the position. Far from moving on from Brexit, this brings the entire episode back front and centre to all the voters. Is Cameron going to run at the next election? If not, this looks like a jobs for the boys plan, and if yes is Cameron really going to be happy to maybe not win the seat and if he does to sit in opposition for years with no prospects?

There is no doubt that short-term this is a great play. Suellen would have assumed that she would be the centre-piece of all news coverage at least yesterday, but probably all week. Instead all the main stories, all the podcasts etc, were about Camerons return.

But once the surprise and excitement has settled down, the reality will set in to the party, and the wider public. Sunak has no faith in his own MP's, his decision making has been terrible, his plan to be the change candidate launched at party conference lasted less than a month as he is seen to be going back to the old hits rather than his own path.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

May/June is the traditional election window and if 2024 was a normal election it would make sense as heating bills are down and the news is distracted with a Euros and Olympics (depending on the date).

But this government is getting purêed either way so I wouldn't be shocked to see this crowd drag every last week out it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Of course they will. Just like they allowed them to get away with Iraq, austerity, NHS outsourcing, Brexit and everything else.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 10,994 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

And the government will portray the next coming as "the real deal", like all the previous deals were. They'll also do this weird thing where the faults always leap back 12 years, and not just a couple of weeks, and the compliant media will go along with them and continue to cheer them on and reassure people this will be different.

Just one more year, and they'll solve those pesky previous problems caused by the previous government (no, not that government, or that one, or that one or that one, or that one, but that one).

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

And rather more relevantly, just like they allowed them to get away with Truss and Sunak. Does anybody really think that the "British public" are going to say "one unelected PM was fine, even two, but three? No, three would be clearly absurd"

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

And even if they did object to yet another leadership contest , so what?

It's not like they can do a single solitary thing about it as long as enough Tory MP's vote with their party on any possible no confidence votes that might arise.

Until there is an Election , they can (and will) do whatever they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think they hang on until December for 3 reasons

1. It maximises the time for things to improve. (If this doesn't happen, well then they are no worse off and lose regardless)
    2. They won in December 2019. Which was clearly a lot to with the way that election was framed around Johnson/Corbyn, Oven ready deals and getting Brexit done. But they may feel the time of year worked for them and against Labour.
    3. Trump factor. Reasonable chance that Trump is President-in-waiting and gives them a bump about how a bumper trade deal with the UK is possible but not with the communist Starmer. If Trump doesn't win, well so be it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Each of the PMs were elected by Parliament. Not sure where you get this 'unelected PM' idea from

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭PommieBast

It is to do with the way certain sections of UK society act as if it has a presidential system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They're unelected by the public. Party leaders and therefore PMs are chosen by MPs, whittled down and then the membership gets the final say.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,632 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I was responding to someone who thought the British public wouldn't let them away with another "unelected PM" which, rightly or wrongly, is a perception that is widely held.

Personally, I don't consider them unelected

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

They'll also leave Sunak in the job because they need a sacrificial lamb for after they lose the election. The next leader then gets to become leader of the opposition with a clean slate to rebuild the party from the ground up.

The hole in your rationale is that December is the worst time of year for pensioners to be trotting to the polls. Some of them will be ill-tempered and many have mobility issues. These won't foster the mindset you want in the most reliable voting demographic.

I'd also question the point about Donald Trump. He was supposed to give a great trade deal in 2016 and that never happened. This didn't help Theresa May in 2017 and it won't help Rishi Sunak now. He's clearly angling to move to California anyway.

They were not elected by the public as the leader of the majority party to become PM. Also considering the current polling allowing 80,000 tory members decide who the new leader of the country will be is quite undemocratic and I would argue they do not have a mandate to have such a large majority to enact their new policies that 99% of the country had no chance to vote on, Truss being a prime example of this. If they were still polling a majority then fair enough but they arent and haven't been for a while.

This "mandate" notion is only a load of sht carried over from US politics.

Each Tory MP has a mandate and as the largest party they have a mandate to install a PM. So there are loads of mandates flying about.

If people don't know a party can change PM mid term then they need to go educate themselves a bit before they vote next time.

• Administrators Posts: 53,813 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Is it? Why bring Suellen into the cabinet in the first place, and have to provide cover for her on many occasions simply to turn around now and bring in a non-elected member to the cabinet?

Maybe I'm misremembering but I don't think Sunak particularly wanted Braverman as Home Secretary, or at least she wouldn't have been his first choice. I think she was put there to placate the right wing part of the Tory party after both Johnson and Truss being booted into touch.

I disagree, a party and its MPs are elected based on their program for government if a new PM completely changes it, ie what Truss did, then I don't believe they have a mandate to enact that new program as the voters never had a say on it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

But now you're getting into the difference between policies and personalities. Brown following on from Blair was a relatively stable change without significant policy shifts - did he have a mandate by your logic?

Many governments have also completely changed tack while keeping the same PM in place I would add.

Like it or not, our representative democracy in both Ireland and the UK gives the mandate to individual elected politicians who then represent us in Parliament and they can choose which leader they so wish. That being said, the leadership elections should 100% return to elected MPs/TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Completely true. But when the Brexiteers made such a noise about unelected EU Bureaucrats it rings rather hollow when they then claim that parliament if voted by the people and therefore is able to make any choice it wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Braverman has sent her letter to Sunak, was expecting worse but still not great for him.

I don't disagree with your pensioners comment. But I guess the maths might be 'we lose a few pensioners from our vote coz of the weather, but the other side loses more feckless 20/30 somethings who are out partying on the second last Thursday before Christmas, and students packing up for the trip home'.

Again I don't disagree with your points about Trump. But to be clear I'm not saying it will work - I'm purely saying it's a reason for them to believe its best to hang on until December ("Rishi, Maybe President-to-be Trump will do/say something which is advantageous for us.").

Like I'm not saying December is a winning strategy - clearly in poker parlance they are down to a 1-outer - but it's probably their best strategy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Whatever about voters, their members aren't going to be too keen to be volunteering to go door knocking in December either.

That's fair enough. I certainly can't point to an objective analysis of pensioner voting and doorknocking patterns in summer and winter.

If I were PM, I'd want as much positivity as possible on voting day. Ideally, that'd be a summer's day with no scandals on anyone's radar. Again, that's nothing more rigorous than my opinion.

Mu understanding has always been that Labour does much more feet-on-the-ground, knock-on-door, leaflets-outside-the-supermarket type of campaigning than the Conservatives. The latter generally has the money for billboards, local newspaper ads, that type of thing. Therefore it's Labour members who would be most harmed by a winter election.

I may have it wrong?

A lot of the Tories' base is the south of England which is quite rural. London is mostly red interspersed here and there with flecks of blue and yellow. The 2015 election is a decent example of most places voting as one would expect:

In villages and the countryside, I would say that traditional campaigning is much more important. Younger people will be more likely to consume podcasts and social media than television and radio.

You may remember that ill-fated stunt by Lee Anderson where he tried to set up a "concerned local" for Channel 4 during a doorknocking run?

Not a shrewd move. Like, she was pushed so if her words are true, why was she working for someone who allegedly had no interest in fulfilling his promises?

• Advertisement

Many MPs are elected on local issues. Probably as many are as are not. Many more are because someone is a "Labour" or "Tory" person.

You are not voting for the leader so that mandate stuff is just stupid and a distraction.

Advertisement