Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭conquestscarer

Ref lost the plot with that peno, he was pretty poor first half(the ref) but improved second half. First half an utter pain to watch due to the adamsonesque reffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Weird game. The conditions and the Rodney Parade weird energy or lack thereof did its usual job of bringing teams down to the level of the Dragons. I was still relatively pleased though when I watched it back. A lot of commitment and decent individual showings although cohesion wasn't great at times as shown by how many times the Dragons turned over the Leinster maul.

We were very poor for the opening quarter and then seemed to wake up. Our forwards started to physically dominate the collisions after that. Joe McCarthy was ragdolling lads and destroying them in contact. Culhane, Baird and Sheehan were also really making their presence felt around the park.

I was pleased for Clarkson who went well and had his best day in blue. Scrum was well on top (although a different day and a different ref may have called it differently). Took his try well and got around the park too. Connors looked good at times. A couple of turnovers and some great chop tackling in the first half way behind the gain line when we were struggling. He faded a bit though after the break.

Ngatai was good again. Just plays sensible rugby and is very effective. Rarely makes a bad decision. He could probably do with a break now next week if we have some guys back. I'd be happy to see Frawley at 12 (assuming Henshaw still isn't available) and Ringrose return at 13. Not many of the other backs stood out as they really got little enough ball but they generally did well when it did come their way. Horrible for TOB but that really looked like another significant injury; hopefully not the ACL again but I'd imagine today's update will simply be that he is gone for a scan.

Russell looked very tidy when he came on. His reverse to Ngatai was lovely and showed good awareness. Also got away from contact once or twice when he had no right. Will be annoyed he spilled an offload from Sheehan.

Halfbacks were fairly good. Murphy has a nice pass but those conditions couldn't really utilise that effectively. With that said, he still went well. Good tap and go to bring us down to their line ultimately resulting in the Clarkson try. RB was ok in the first half but came into it after the break. A couple of very nice involvements for the Ngatai and Frawley tries and kicked well in grim weather.

McCarthy deservedly got MOTM but I'm really intrigued to see how Culhane develops. He's got hands and power at 21 which is great to see. He stole one line out at the back in the first half and carried straight through Basham before being taken down by the next defender. Was still working his arse off in the final minutes when others were flagging. The URC site has Leinster down for 98 tackles and Culhane down for 17 of them. He's coming through just at the right time as Conan starts to get into his last few years. But Leinster will probably have to make a decision at some point on how to accommodate these guys and review which one of them can move to openside where there is a real need coming down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I wonder if Deegan would do a job at openside? Moving lads around though does impact the squad. I mean we have VDF, Penny and Connors . All of them are top notch. The back row is loaded and it's hard to give or spread minutes around. I suppose some will move on? Even putting Baird at blindside limits opportunities for MM and Soroka. It will be interesting to see what happens. Will Stu make a bid for a back row? The lure of Paris and a better paycheck. Humphries may look to inter provincial moves? But the provinces are deep talent wise with backrows.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That type of performance in the URC is exactly what you want to see from a young physically gifted guy who is trying to cement his place in the Irish set-up. He should be dominating folks and he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

That was the first time in I don't know how many years that I've seen the Leinster scrum actually dominant. And it's interesting that it happened when we had two "heavy" locks starting. I wonder is it worth considering going that way for the bigger games.

• Advertisement

But it's the Dragons! It's not La Rochelle. In my mind, McCarthy will lock down with Ryan. Jenkins on the bench.

Moloney and Baird at Scrumtime don't do it for me in the row. Whenever they play there I don't think I've seen us get anything better than Parity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,183 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

TOB only missing a few weeks is probably the best outcome we could have hoped for. Was worried it would be a month's long absence.

Cormac Foley took a blow to the shoulder and will be assessed closer to the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Memory is hazzy now but didn't Leinster kind of hold their own v La Rochelle?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The last time the Scrum was a key factor in a Leinster loss was probably the game in Dublin against Saracens where Vincent Koch demolished them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,559 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

Yes that the last one I can remember

Somehow I think Leinster;s new Bok coach might have a option to replace Ala'alatoa which would help in the scrum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Must love hardship

With mcgrath and potentially foley out. Leinster will need JGP back this week. Great exposure for Ben Murphy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

That's great news for TOB, would be such a disappointment for him to get crocked again.

Guess we'll see JGP this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭StormForce13

That appeared to come from a call from the AR rather than being the referee's own decision. The AR involved was Welsh and he was probably influenced by some howls of outrage from the home crowd which motivated him to make that debatable call.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭CORMACREYN

Andrew Porter and Tadhg Furlong back training today with Leinster.

https://www.sportsfile.com/more-images/776063218/5000/

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭durthacht

Ed Byrne out there too. I had completely forgotten about him with the emergence of Milne and Boyle.

Post edited by durthacht on

Half the pictures are of Fintan Gunne

Maybe he gets some game time with mcgrath and Foley out. Looked good prospect for the u20's

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's our starting 15 with everyone fit? Front row seems obvious, 2nd and back row a kind of a lottery along with right wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Porter, sheehan, furlong

Ryan Mccarthy

Baird Doris VDF

JGP HB

Osbourne Henshaw

JOB Keenan Ringrose

Kelleher, Boyle, Healy, moloney, Conan, mcgrath, R Byrne, Frawley.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭letsbefair

What did James Lowe do wrong ?

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭letsbefair

Thought Ross Byrne was very good for first match back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Porter Sheehan Furlong

McCarthy Ryan

Baird Doris VDF

JGP Ross

Henshaw Ringrose

Lowe Keenan JOB

That's in an injury-free world though. I can see Osbourne pushing Henshaw at 12 and TOB pushing JOB at 14. Conan on top form likely displaces Baird (with Doris moving to 6) but he's had a bit of an off year for his standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I can see them persisting with Molony and Jenkins ahead of McCarthy - and Ngatai ahead of Osborne at 12 - until McCarthy and Osborne do enough at international level for Ireland to force their hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I wonder if it would be to his benefit for Max Deegan to tell the selectors he wants to do a Levani Botia and play 12 as well as in the backrow. He has the understanding of how to run lines to draw defenders before passing to preserve space for others - which isn't inherent in some players - and he's an excellent passer. Maybe he's a bit on the gangly side and shorter, squatter centres could get under him and drive him back in the tackle.

There's a lot of competition at 8 with Doris, Conan and Culhane, and I don't think he's best suited to blindside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,697 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

There has been no evidence to date that Harry is a better 10 than Ross. Harry had some very good showings in his early career which showed glimpses of potential. Since then he's gotten very few consistent runs. The start of this season has been a good building block for him but again, I don't see anything that suggests he should be ahead of Ross just yet. Simply put, Ross has started in Europe many times and delivered. Harry hasn't

Similarly, there has been no evidence to suggest that Henshaw is a better 13 than Ringrose. I don't think Henshaw has been picked ahead of Garry at 13 in Green or Blue in recent years when both are fit.

There is an argument to be had over Osborne vs Henshaw in a straight shoot out for 12 though. Osborne offers things that Robbie doesn't especially in the kicking game. Can't be understated.

I don't see any reason Lowe should drop out of the 23 entirely. For me he retains the 11 shirt with JOB in the 14. Tommy O'Brien could well find himself in the 23 shirt and potentially even relegating Jimmy to the bench. Time will tell but the injury hasn't helped his case.

Healy has given no evidence that he's the second best TH in Leinster. He has admirably filled a gap there and we are lucky he has that ability. Maybe he'd have more minutes there if he wasn't still the second best LH in Leinster. Healy wears the 17 shirt and Ala'alaoa wears the 18 shirt currently in a full strength Leinster 23.

• Advertisement

He only played 6 or 7 times for Leinster last season. Was poor (like a good few) in the final.

Only scored in 1 of the 5 champions cup matches he played.

Just get the feeling his form is on the wane and he might be on the down slope of his career.

Jimmy o'brien and Osborne are both on the up slope of theirs..

Advertisement