Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BYD Seal

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Model 3.

Performance is more aggressive.

More storage, as in bigger boot and bigger frunk.

Handles that little bit better than the AWD Seal.

Seal.

More traditional layout with some buttons.

2 screens can actually be crowding.

It’s really subjective as the styling is what this will come down to.

Both are technically great cars and great EV’s.

I done a post from my test drive comparing it to my M3P.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭DrPsychia

Unfortunately I didn't drive it but sat in one in Germany recently. The interior and exterior is a definite upgrade compared to the outgoing generation, the ventilated seats feel softer, in the rear you sit slightly more reclined than before. Youtube reviews say it's quieter. I like the ambient lighting but at present there's no way to adjust the intensity for night driving, that will change via software update. I read a lot of complaints about no wood trim but I really don't mind it. Of course the big elephant in the room is the lack of stalks, and no Ultrasonic sensors, which I personally hate, but a 3rd party retrofit is coming next year from the same company that makes "S3XY buttons".

You also have to be mindful about TeslaVision park assist. It's terrible and will not improve. I encourage you to watch videos on YouTube about it. Machine learning neural nets will not reliably replace 3D mapping ultrasonic sensors, not possible. TeslaVision requires pristine light and weather conditions to work somewhat acceptably in the rear, even then it's not great, the front facing system is a complete loss, useless. It's a stark contrast to the excellent 360 cam and ultrasonic sensors fitted in the Seal. Model 3 does not require annual servicing.

The Seal is loaded with tech(see brochure for spec comparisons between Design and AWS Excellence) but not as efficient as model 3 and doesn't have as good of a user interface/infotainment. Seal has better overall warranty than Tesla Model 3. Has to be serviced annually(negative for me). If anything does wrong, even small issue, it has to go to the dealership whereas Tesla offers 'ranger' service and can be fixed at the roadside or your house. It will have more annoying bing bongs from the Advanced drivers assistance systems compared to the model 3. Storage in boot and frunk is noticeably less than Model 3 but the upside is that you have considerably more space in the rear.

Model 3 drivetrain is more efficient and will have more frequent software updates, and has a better UI but it lacks reliable and accurate hardware like Forward facing radar cruise sensor, lacks a rain sensor(it uses some neural net but it's very unreliable and cycles between ok and terrible with software updates). No rear cross traffic alert. No HUD(fitted in Seal AWD Excellence), can be a nice to have, some don't care for it. Tesla has a superior phone app. Premium sound system is better in the new model 3 long range, didn't test the standard system in the M3 RWD so can't comment.

Model 3 has one pedal driving(big pro for me), Seal doesn't.

At the end of the day it's all down to personal preference, what is a negative for me may not be for you and visa versa, so best wait until highland is available to test drive to make up your mind, have a thorough test drive in both.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Blackadder11

Absolutely overpriced !

Not as comfortabale a drive as the Seal either, imho. iD.7 coming soon for those who want a big hatchback with a better look than the Seal U.

Seal L supposedly on the way too. Definitely "Bring Your Dollars" 😉 for the iD.7 if you want any decent set of options.

Hi, I managed to get an online quote from AXA without a call. €570 for driver in 50s, Comprehensive, full NCB, full licence over 10 years, spouse as named driver, North Dublin. Is that expensive?

AIG online still only Atto model for BYD, on the phone they advised to call back in December. Nothing on Revolut yet but will be backed by AIG anyway.

AA won't even get past Enter Registration 🙄

Liberty has BYD models of Atto and E6 !! (maybe an import from China ?) but no Seal

Remember any insurance inclusions or add-ons with towing service should be "Lift" rather than "Tow" for eVs. Well-known but easy to forget when they're droning on through the T&Cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭DrPsychia

The ID7 is more comparable to the Model S in terms of size and interior quality, shouldn't be compared to the Model 3 or Seal.

Yeah Polestar is certainly not for those seeking value. It's a poor offering given that the chassis is based off ICE architecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭eagerv

As a 2022 RWD Model 3 owner I will be testing the Seal at Cork tomorrow. Will report back...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭rdhma

If it was an ICE vehicle of similar size and performance, I'd say you would be paying more than Axa quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

What side is the charging port on the Seal?

• Advertisement

Cheers, wasn't sure as sometimes the side changes depending on LHD/RHD.

That depends on where your wall plug is. For me...perfect :)

Definitely the correct side. The left side is for Americans and no one wants to be them.

Just a fairly quick review of my Seal test today at Cork.

First of all, it felt like being back at Tesla Mahon, with the Portacabin. Nothing wrong with that and a big plus for the enthusiasm and non pushiness of the two lads there.

First impressions, it is a handsome car. Not as big as I was expecting, very little in it with my Model 3. Certainly a good bit smaller than the Ioniq 6. A plus for me however, plenty big enough imo.

Front and side views I think look great, not so sure about the rear. Not mad on some of the trim bits, makes cleaning more difficult. Very Ioniq 5/6 in many ways.

Didn't find the back particularly roomy, but again plenty big enough. Perhaps an inch or so more leg room than my Model 3, but not much room to put your feet under a comfortable height (For me) front seat. Front was fine, but centre console is a little wider and higher than the Tesla so your legs do have a little less freedom. Also I thought the thigh support was better in the Tesla, would have preferred a bit more adjustment on raising the front of the seat of the Seal.

Materials are lovely, certainly a bit above the present Model 3. Much preferred the light interior, it appears to be a no cost option, available on any exterior colour. Nothing wrong with the dark interior, but the light one definitely gave the car a lift.

Driving wise it was fine, a little more refined than my Model 3, but not as much as I was expecting. The power of the car was amazing though, particularly when in Sport mode. Yet it was still very docile when at town speeds. A very easy car to drive, anyone used to Hyundai/Kia will feel instantly at home. But personally I think I still prefer the simplicity of Tesla UI. Steering was lighter than Tesla and also not as direct, again very much a personal preference. But the Tesla steering does feel sportier.

With the bright low sun today I thought the screen was more difficult to see than my Model 3. It was in auto, so probably didn't have any more adjustment. No maps on cars as yet, so difficult to compare properly. Head up display was good, but would probably turn off. Not mad on more clutter in view. Preferred the framed side windows to the Tesla frameless ones, nicer sound when closing doors. Also the lower door seals look better, should keep the side sills cleaner. The artificial generated sound did not bother me.

All in all, a lovely car. Was more impressed than I expected. Having a LFP battery with that performance is imo a definite bonus. Yet I didn't mind getting back into my Model 3. Will be interested to compare the new Highland Model 3, both cars will have their advantages and disadvantages, but it is hard to look past the Tesla Supercharging for me.

A few pics if anyone interested (Tried to keep them fairly low resolution). The indigo grey looked great imo.(Looks more white in pics). It has a €1500 cost. Personally I would probably go for the Ice blue or atlantis grey with the light interior.

No suprise that the demo cars in Ireland are a bit behind in software version following transit, check before taking delivery. I'll check again in January and post latest version. Promise of less sensitivity to Lane Assistance and also quieter low-speed noise.

Yes, this is the one with iTAC (intelligence Torture Adaption Control) 😢, corrected in a later update to Torque.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭mad m

I paid €630 for a 2019 Toyota Hybrid full comp with wife and daughter on it. NCB step back inc...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think the rear is missing a logo and that's why it's so plain looking. We're just used to seeing them on cars.

Thank goodness it doesn't have "Build Your Dreams" scrawled across..😁

• Registered Users Posts: 28,090 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think a simple BYD or something would do the job but yes anything bar the stupid Build Your Dreams.

• Advertisement

Yea, it says BYD Seal 3.8 on rear right side, fairly neat.

3.8 for the 0-100kms.☺️

The rear looks well at night, really nice lights front and back..

Id probably transfer the byd from front bumper to the rear lid.

Is that not what I wrote?

Edit, OK I left out the 's' 🙂

Great review, thank you. On the thigh support, I found it excellent for my long legs after making an adjustment to raise the front of the seat (independent function). To do this, push up from underneath just at the front of the same rectangular control used to move back the seat.

"For the very tall gentleman" / lady, note that when you adjust the driver's seat back to the furhermost position from the steering wheel by holding the control back, it stops after a while and one might think that's the maximum. However one more little press and it gives you just another couple of mm. I tested this a few times. I hope I am not pushing it beyound its limit. It wasn't broken when I went back a couple of weeks later 😛 It may not keep this in seat memory, I didn't have time to confirm.

Post edited by Blackadder11 on

Black BYD badges available somewhere, maybe online. They seem to be popular with new owners in other countries. The silver BYD looks a bit off on the from of the Altantic Grey (which is a mid to dark blue).

Post edited by Blackadder11 on

It's the same switches as on my Tesla for seat adjustments. I had it at max up at the front. Don't get me wrong, I found the seats very comfortable..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭djan

That's one thing I love about the BYD's given that they're so popular in China/Asia there's already so much bits for it on the likes of Aliexpress and local marketplaces for a very low price. For example can get a pretty OEM looking storage box to make a frunk in the ATTO 3:

• Advertisement

There’s an Irish company making these for some cars too. Also available for the bmw i3.

Advertisement