Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭glen123

This has been a known practice in Ukraine since USSR times, so I am afraid I cannot claim this was my genius idea:)

The fact is, DSP is unable to introduce a basic means test for Ukrainians, the way it exists for any other recipients of social welfare so I cannot see CAB having any interest is any of this if the government isn't interested to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Was listening to afd on the Duran podcast.

He makes some decent points but then starts to say that ethnic German's should have more rights than 'passport holders'.

I think that we really need to address the housing crisis in Ireland with a component of that likely related to immigration. I 💯 do not want a party like afd becoming mainstream in Ireland so it's probably about time that our government acts before a new party gets into power and starts discriminating against those whose ancestry is viking, Anglo Saxon or otherwise.

Post edited by grumpyperson on

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

I 💯 do not want a party like afd becoming mainstream in Ireland so it's probably about time that the government acts before a new party gets into power

Well such a party would first have to overcome the minor hurdle of not existing before 'becoming mainstream', let alone getting into power...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There was a time when UKIP didn't exist. Then they got 105k votes in their first election. Then 390k votes. Then 600k votes. Then 900k votes. Then almost 4 million votes. Then Brexit happened.

"It can't happen here" is very naive after the last 10 years of Western politics. The US has been 1 election away from becoming an authoritarian state for the last few years. How many people predicted that years in advance?

Well anything is theoretically possible. A meteor could strike the earth tomorrow and wipe out all human life.

But posters like grumpyperson seem to be using the supposed threat of "a party like afd becoming mainstream in Ireland" to pressure the established political parties to change their policies on immigrants and refugees and this just won't work because those parties don't believe the 'threat' is real and they have enough pressing real-world problems to deal with before they start addressing remote hypotheticals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Marcos

You obviously missed the bit where I wrote:

"He was surprised by the results of his work and has jumped through many hoops to try and spin it to be more diversity positive, saying that in the long term everything is going to be just great. This Pollyanna type thinking may have made it easier to get more grants and funding, or maybe not. You can make your own mind up. But there is no evidence of the benefits of this in Europe."

Please point to any examples in Europe of the benefits of such waves of immigration.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

When most of us say "social justice" we mean equality under the law opposition to prejudice, discrimination and equal opportunities for all. When Social Justice Activists say "social justice" they mean an emphasis on group identity over the rights of the individual, a rejection of social liberalism, and the assumption that unequal outcomes are always evidence of structural inequalities.

Andrew Doyle, The New Puritans.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

While I don't know very much at all about the AdF party in Germany, I do think we should have a similar option here. Not because I agree with them mind, but for the sake of having the democratic option.

We see the state of democratic choice in the US and UK being a sort of Uni-Party: a permanent state, managerial class with deep connections to the MIC. Would rather avoid that if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

----

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Looking at videos of leftwing cities and the rampant crime so bad major store chains are closing down and leaving is far more concerning than the orange boogie man. The left have lost all credibility with their current policies. Defunding the police was always a stupid idea and the consequences are being felt.

The right wing are in power in Italy, just missed out France (will breeze in next time) and at levels never seen the Germany since the end of the Second World War. Even the Nordics have woken up.

Here’s a tip, when the migrants are all young men from regions of the world with backwards views then it won’t work, who know bad ideas are not left at the border. The left have brought this on themselves.

The right wing are in power in Italy, just missed out France (will breeze in next time) and at levels never seen the Germany since the end of the Second World War. Even the Nordics have woken up.

Again no indication any of this is even beginning to happen in ireland. No sign of our Georgia Moloney coming along (don't think Geema would cut the mustard somehow)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,546 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The UK has had a right wing government for the last 13 years, backed by a heavily right wing (and clearly racist) tabloid press. What's gone wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭Sand

"Right wing" and "left wing" can be broadly understood as referring to two cheeks of the same neo liberal arse when it comes to mass migration. The only distinguishing factor is the "right wing" neoliberals weakly protest that mass migration should happen legally, with due process. Whereas the "left wing" neoliberals don't really care how it happens (refugees/economic migration/illegal border crossing whatever), so long as it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

IPAS report for October

1382 arrivals for the month - maintaining the trend of continued growth in numbers month on month.

Arrivals are increasing not decreasing

204 incidents requiring Gardaí or ambulance in the month. Great additional pressure to add to our strained emergency services.

124 requests for family reunification

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

We've had Fine Gael here for years.

If anything, people are sick and tired of right wing government.

Potatoeman seemed to be talking about 'right wing' primarily in the sense of cracking down on immigration. Liitle sign FG are going to go down that road...

• Registered Users Posts: 54,208 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

That number is staggering for Nigeria but it's not surprising.

Is there any breakdown of how many arrivals Ireland rejects and sends back?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

I'm seriously thinking that would be too embarrassing for the government to make public. We must be the biggest joke of a country in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Gussoe

It's also probable that they don't have accurate records. I believe that a person's application for asylum can be rejected, but they can re-apply under a different criteria. So are we counting the total number of rejected applications, or are we counting the number of people rejected?

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Under Leo and Helen they are no longer right wing, their main driving philosophy is whatever will get them a pat on the head from Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

That's 100% correct. Even though you are denied asylum you can appeal it . And God knows how many times you could do this. I would say total deportation at point of entry is 0.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭minimary

Was just watching a video about New York, their migrant crisis has gotten so bad that they've limited stays in accommodation to 30 days and are now offering plane tickets to whoever wants to leave. You would hope the crisis being so close to the UN's headquarters will make them realise how broken the asylum system is worldwide and how its abused by economic migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Gript aside, I’m irritated by Varadkar attempting to muddy the waters in his answer to what was a direct question.

We’ve seen it umpteen times in this thread - someone mentions overly generous welfare benefits for refugees and someone responds talking about immigration and the benefits of it as if they are at all the same thing. So disingenuous. He knows exactly what he’s doing and what he’s saying.

Asked about our overly generous supports being a pull factor (which they indisputably are) and he starts going on about FDI and our health service. Snakey behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Why is there only one man in this country out of 5 million people who asks/can ask awkward questions on this subject to these politicians in this country?

it’s absolutely mental when you stand back and think about it for a few minutes

all the thousands of hours of media shows,panels etc and nobody asks these simple questions that the vast majority want answered

democracy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Even if it did slip through the cracks and reach national attention, you can bet the coverage would only consist of the need to educate all the godforsaken men born and raised in this country to treat women with respect. F*cking shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

No wonder we’re still getting 800 a week arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

43 grand with absolutely no bills, nice one fair play to them, a few months and they can buy an apartment at home, a few years and they're landlords raking it in.

It wwonderfulthat everyone around the world coming here gets a better deal than those living here.

Roll on the recession, only way for this stupidity to stop.

Anyone voting Leo/FG in the next election after that gript video needs their head examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

Real insult and slap in the face to people working here and trying to get by on so little. Disgraceful!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Vologda69

And there's talk that any new welfare cap for Ukrainians will not be retrospective i.e. will only apply to future arrivals. Talk about turkeys voting for Xmas. What do they pay policy advisers for? Utterly clueless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Thing is more and more are now openly talking about the **** show that’s going on and what they see every day of the week.ff and fg need to go and be given plenty of grief on the doors if they even have the balls to canvas.

Advertisement